PDA

View Full Version : faster internet connection - onespeed

turn right heading 365
30th Nov 2004, 10:56
Saw an ad in the paper the other day for onespeed, you download their software and it costs £25.00 per year. It compresses data harder or something, and is supposed to give about half speed broadband performance. Does anyone know if it's any good? I'm a bit of a computer virgin and am afraid of doing something bad to my pc. Thanks.

PS have mozzilla firefox installed

englishal
30th Nov 2004, 11:57
All data is routed through their proxy servers where they carry out extra compression and the like. You may find JPEG image quality reduced, and a few other quirks.

The only real issue is one of privacy. They know your details, and know what you are surfing for. No doubt they sell this information on the 3rd parties for marketing purposes (i.e. Spam).

Cheers

timmcat
30th Nov 2004, 11:57
It's actually 'Onspeed'. I tried a demo for a while - it's actually quite good.

I'm not too sure if it works with Firefox though.

Website here. (http://www.onspeed.com)

Out Of Trim
30th Nov 2004, 23:52
I have used Onspeed for about the last 11 months; It's got a lot better in the last few months with a software change. General surfing is much improved, some degradation of images is noticeable if quality is set too low. Happily this is something you can adjust easily.

There is no change in file download speeds, but; if Broadband is not an option I would say it's probably worthwhile.

However, it doesn't work with Mozilla Firefox. But, It does work great with Avant Browser.. Very fast front end tabbed browser using IE engine.

It's definitely quicker than IE or Firefox.

:cool: