PDA

View Full Version : Happy St. Andrews day!

IFTB
30th Nov 2004, 06:34
Happy St. Andrews day!
to all of you hailing from north of Hadrians wall. :ok:

What's on the menu tonight?

Windy Militant
30th Nov 2004, 07:40
Viva Scotia! :ok:

Lon More
30th Nov 2004, 07:48
My last year in exile; :mad: the haggis, i'll just have the dram, a proper one too, none of those English 1/4 gill things - nothing more than a dirty glass them.

Normal fae Fife

robroy
30th Nov 2004, 09:48
Went to the annual St. Andrews Society Gentlemans Dinner in Bne.

Haggis, Filet Steak, Cheese and Bikkies, as much wine, and beer, as you could drink.

Plus singing, The Pipes and "Highland Park ".

Kilts. mine is the Red MacGregor, Formal Dinner Suits, Medals, etc.

My dcm, don't come monday, wasn't approved apparel.

Had a great night with Airline friends and many new ones.

Cheers

robroy:ok: :ok: :ok:

IFTB
30th Nov 2004, 10:09
Cheerio ,
Thanks for that and if Lon More will have a broodje kroket while you lot are at it I'll be right happy. :(

Mince and tatties for me apparently, did not hear the word whiskey mentioned yet.

Roll on tomorrow! :ooh:

Stockpicker
30th Nov 2004, 11:23
Will be spending this evening talking to a large group of difficult customers, so a large scotch will definitely be in order ....:{

BALIX
30th Nov 2004, 12:05
Will have to wait and see what the canteen is putting on the menu this evening. There won't be any scotch, though, which is fine by me as scotch is utter pish. :yuk:

Maybe they will go for the national dish - deep fried battered sausage and chips, made by a fat Italian bloke whose dad was a POW in Greenock during the last war.

Scottish cuisine? Ye cannae whack it with a big stick, as the flabbier locals say... :E

angels
30th Nov 2004, 12:30
Happy St. Andrews day to all you Sweaty Socks.

Balix - Are you claiming deep fried battered sausage and chips as a Scottish invention?

Nonsense. It's Turkish. Only yesterday, I bought the aforementioned (large banger of course) from my Turkish friend who runs the local chippy. 1.80 GBP.

The Mars Bar in batter I will leave to you lot...... :}

Gainesy
30th Nov 2004, 12:39
Bit strange naming a saint after a golf course though innit?

IFTB
30th Nov 2004, 12:46
Better than naming a county after a helicopter. :}

tall and tasty
30th Nov 2004, 12:56
Have a good one!

Drink and be merry for tomorrow ....................

TnT :)

Flypuppy
30th Nov 2004, 14:35
Been invited to the Luxembourg Embassy for their St Andrew's night do. So that'll be nice.

did not hear the word whiskey mentioned yet

You would only get that in Ireland........

IFTB
30th Nov 2004, 14:38
AT LAST one of you reacts. :bored:

E

tony draper
30th Nov 2004, 14:43
Indeed all the best to the folks north of the Wall, Saint Andrew however was apparently not a native born Scotsman.

Some peculiar marriage-related superstitions have attached themselves to Saint Andrew's feast day.

An old German tradition says that single women who wish to marry should ask for Saint Andrew's help on the Eve of his feast, then sleep naked that night; they will see their future husbands in their dreams.

Another says that young women should note the location of barking dogs on Saint Andrew's Eve: their future husbands will come from that direction.

On the day after Andrew's feast, young people float cups in a tub; if a boy's and a girl's cup drift together and are intercepted by a cup inscribed "priest", it indicates marriage.

Seems to b a dodgey time for us blokes wishing to avoid wedlock.
:rolleyes:

allan907
30th Nov 2004, 14:47
So.... apart from a halfway passable drink and a lot of exported incoherent trades union spokesmen what the heck did Scotland ever do for the world?

Flypuppy
30th Nov 2004, 15:20
Long boring list of famous Scotsmen and their achievements. (http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/scotland/greatscots.html)

Big Tudor
30th Nov 2004, 19:56
Paid homage to the greatest Scot of them all, George Baxter. Had a lovely bowl of Cullen Skink for lunch, washed down with a wee drop of Aberlour (my old man still doesn't realise I've got his bottle, hee hee).

And for those who don't know who George Baxter is, hae a wee look here (http://www.baxters.co.uk/history/index.html)

Fa's like us. Gae few, an' their a' deid!

Lon More
30th Nov 2004, 23:42
No mention of Stanley Baxter, "Erra braw perr ower err"

Carnegie, almost everyone here must have borrowed a book from one of his libraries

The Etrick Shepherd,

The Great McGonigle

The water in that last dram was guy strong

BTW Broodje Kroket; vieze troep. Gemaakt van anders niet te gebruiken restjes paardevlees

allan907
1st Dec 2004, 02:03
Cheerio :ok: :ok: :ok:

Flypuppy Top 3 on your list:

1 Geezer wot invented fireplaces
2 Geezer wot invented unknown buildings to house above mentioned fireplaces
3 Geezer wot is known for not being a Scot

Great list but I gave up after the top listings!

sirwa69
1st Dec 2004, 07:05
We had a bit of a shindig last Thursday in the Crowne Plaza, crap food, crap band, great night. Helped by a bottle of Johnny Walker pure malt.

When we woke up the next evening! we cracked open a bottle of Glenmorangie Burgundy wood finish and killed the remaining brain cells.

Just about recoverd now but the weekend starts all over again.

:E :E

It's tough in the Gulf :ok:

IFTB
1st Dec 2004, 07:38
Lon More:
BTW Broodje Kroket; vieze troep. Gemaakt van anders niet te gebruiken restjes paardevlees*

Maar lekker joh! :ok:

* remind me again, Haggis. Whats that made of again? :uhoh:

BALIX
1st Dec 2004, 08:02
Well, I can hereby report that the canteen at the SCOTTISH Air Traffic Control Centre had on the menu for St Andrews Day the following:

Mexican Chilli
Italian Pizza
Turkey Steak in a Peppercorn Sauce from God knows where, but not Scotland.

I had the chilli, it was very nice. :hmm:

El Grifo
1st Dec 2004, 08:05
Mair Lekker?

Haud yer wheesht. Ony mair o that muck and all be deid afore the Christmas. Fully twae bottle o' the stuff the nicht afore last.

Happy St Andrews day onyroads.

Mc Grifo

:ok: :cool: :ok: