PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Answers to CASA's Sample IREX Questions

WHK4
30th Nov 2004, 01:19
CASA supplies 90 sample exam questions for the Instrument Rating Theory Exam (IREX) at this location:

http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fcl_li...exam/irex_q.htm

I have heard that these really do represent typical questions found on the IREX.

Unfortunately these questions don't have answers supplied.

Does anyone know if answers to these particular sample questions can be had anywhere? I was thinking along the lines of a flying school or other institution which had gone to the trouble to work them out.

Chimbu chuckles
30th Nov 2004, 03:58
Here's a thought!

How about you go to the trouble to work them out instead of looking for the easy solution!

Or are you not interested in knowing the subject matter...just in passing the exam so you can go on to your rightfull place in the LHS of something IFR.

No wonder so many low time pilots these days don't know ****e from good brown clay!!

EDIT: and I've just been through the questions...what a simple and practicle exam...and most of it is effectively 'open book' given the large number of approach plate questions and those simply requiring an ability to draw relative bearings and hdgs then do simple arithmatic.

Anybody with a reasonable knowledge of IFR theory and where to look up stuff like climb gradients could blitz this exam...if it's truly representative.

Captahab
30th Nov 2004, 13:06
WHK4
Get off your asre and do some study, the flamin answers are in your Jepp/AIP etc.
A big help you are gonna be in the right hand seat one day.

Sheeeesh

swh
30th Nov 2004, 13:35
WHK4,

I take it you are looking for the answers and distracters in a multiple choice fashion for exam technique refinement.

At most pilot shops and online you may purchase a set of four practice exams which have IREX questions which has a good list of distracters. Whilst not endorsing any product, if you use your favourite internet search engine with "irex avfacts questions" as the key words you should be on your way.

:ok:

TomOz
30th Nov 2004, 21:06
I have always preferred the A-C-D-C method for multiple choice exams. Whilst I have had mixed results using this technique, I always leave the exam centre feeling a little bit closer to BON. The alternative A-C-A-D-A-C-A system is no more successful in terms of pass rates, but it is an equally appropriate homage to the greatest Oz band of all time.

WHK4
3rd Dec 2004, 06:43
Thanks SWH I'll try your suggestion.

TomOz, I'll tell the candidate about your method. He may use it for backup (as homage to Bon).

NAMPS
3rd Dec 2004, 08:34
For f:mad: k sake what is wrong with actually knowing your stuff. Get yourself into gear and actually learn and know something.

What's going to happen when the ATO tests you on your KDRs when you do the initial rating (or subsequent renewal), reply with A-C-D-C? :yuk:

TomOz
3rd Dec 2004, 10:01
You are, of course, correct NAMPS. The IREX is one exam where you certainly do need to KNOW the subject. My most humble advice to anybody tackling this exam : study hard. :8

404 Titan
3rd Dec 2004, 11:18
NAMPS

You know what, I have sat a considerable number of exams in my time, both aviation related and not. What I have found is that most aviation exams have nothing to do with knowing your stuff but more to do with exam technique. Certainly know your stuff but having said that having some idea of the stupid and in most cases totally irrelevant types of questions asked is a must. The ATPL exam springs to mind as the biggest waste of time as it is totally irrelevant to the task required in a major airline operation.

Chimbu chuckles
3rd Dec 2004, 15:09
But perhaps the self discipline and moral compass is not.

I know guys who cheated on the SCPL (the old 6 exam format) subjects...actually carried the word for word written answers in and just copied them out....up in PNG before CASA stopped letting people sit up there.

They're not exactly having the most successfull careers...not because they were caught, they weren't....just because they don't have the self discipline to stick things out.

I know others who took the easy way out and went to the US and then converted that to a PNG SCPL and then to an OZ ATPL....they didn't cheat they just took the easy way...a loop hole...and now they can't move from turboprops to jets because all the Oz employers want to see the CASA exam results...can't even get a NZ ATPL for the same reason so no contract work through the likes of Rishworth...one went to VB was interviewed and told go pass the Oz subjects. Missed out on the first one and CASA took his ATPL off him until he passed them all...cost him his BE350 command and when he'd finally passed them all VB wasn't interested.

So you kiddies keep to the form of your generation and keep taking the easy way out...we don't want you sitting next to us on a dark, stormy night.

Counter-rotation
5th Dec 2004, 02:34
I can't help feeling that some of you might be a little too eager to write this guy off as lazy or uncommitted or whatever else.

Maybe he is, in which case I wouldn't want him next to me either... Chimbu has said it well, regarding attitude etc. and where it gets you in the end.

But do you think it's possible that he's preparing properly, has studied, then attempted the sample q's and just needs the answers to gauge progress, and/or identify deficiencies?

And as C404 said, there is certainly an element of "technique" to most exams.

ACDC was half a chance, before they expanded the options for an answer, I think they're up to about "F" now!! ABBA works well for smaller exams...

CR.

Icarus2001
5th Dec 2004, 03:55
Sage advice as always Chimbu. :D