PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking

timmcat
29th Nov 2004, 21:53
Well, in all my years of messing about with 'pooters', never done it before.. but..

My new 'spare PC' (discussed previously) seems to be quite happy to be pushed a bit. The 1.2ghz Celeron processor has, tonight been shoved to just over 1.4 GHZ with no ill affects as yet. I ran FS2004 for a good hour and the CPU temperature remained at 32 degrees C.

Is that acceptable? Am I likely to run into problems? Or should I push it further (and no, as its the spare unit, it aint' going to get any extra cooling (expense)).

stagger
29th Nov 2004, 23:56
Don't know too much about it but did try it once some time ago. I found that if I pushed it too far the PC would just shut itself down with no permanent effects.

So it might be worth trying to push it a little further - but I'd say you're doing quite well with 1.4 from a 1.2 anyway (if it's reliable).

I'd recommend searching the web to find out what people have achieved with your specific processor (may have to take a look at it to determine the exact model).

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Nov 2004, 02:02
timmcat,

If you are happy with the overclock and it is running stable, I would leave it where it is. ;)

Right now I am running one of the new 90nm Athlon64 3000+s with a 425Mhz overclock on the CPU (from 1.8Ghz boosted to 2.25Ghz) and the RAM running at 100Mhz above spec. (Supposed to run at 400Mhz and is now running at 500Mhz.) I am using the Thermaltake Polo 735 Heatsink which is still running in whisper mode even with the overclock.

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/35-106-042-04.JPG

I know I could push it higher but it is running great and not to mention quiet, so I have left it there. If I were to crank up the Fan on the heatsink for a higher overclock, my comp would sound like a 707 cleared for takeoff.

There are good boosts in performance from overclocking. These are the 3DMark2001SE scores with the overclock:

3DMark Score 24,585 (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8231781)

That is more than enough to run any software on the market so I decided not to push it.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. 1.4Ghz is about the limit of the PIII Based Celeron. You would have a lot of trouble pushing it much more.

Engineer
30th Nov 2004, 05:28
This website (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?threadid=138583) might help you.

Good luck :ok:

timmcat
30th Nov 2004, 12:05
Thanks guys.

As it ran as sweet as a nut last night I'll now leave well alone at 1407MHZ I think. Ironically, on that PC I don't really need anymore power - its used for homework and the associated surfing - I only installed FS2004 to give it something to work at. However it's quite rewarding to get something for nothing (which is precisely what the PC cost me in the first place).

Confabulous
30th Nov 2004, 15:00
Guys,

Just got a Dell Inspiron 1150 yesterday secondhand (Celeron 2.06GHz, 7 mths old) and am wondering - would it be possible to overclock it? I've overclocked a standard PC... but with laptops I'm just not sure - cooling issues etc.

Any thoughts?
Conf

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Nov 2004, 17:33
Confabulous,

There is no chance to overclock a dead end computer. The Dead End Computer Makers use a crippled BIOS that does not allow any overclocking.

Sorry,

Richard

P.S. If you were able to flash to a BIOS that would allow you to overclock, you will find that the Power Supply and CPU Heatsink were the bare minimum to all to run on spec, and would need to be replaced in order to overclock.