PDA

View Full Version : Is this daft or what ?

TimS
29th Nov 2004, 21:04
How fast can people really go in reverse?

Well, pretty quickly, it turns out. .....

Currently, the men's world record over 100 metres is 13.6 seconds held by Ghana's Ferdie Ato Adobe while the women's best is 20.3 seconds, set by South Africa's Riana Truter.

How many pople can run faster - running normally?

With acknowledgement to www.ghanaweb.com

Man-on-the-fence
29th Nov 2004, 21:14
This would appear to be a metaphor for the Continent of Africa

airship
29th Nov 2004, 21:41
This goes back to WWII when me dad (at least that's what he told me) was fighting in N. Africa. He said that the Italian tanks they came across had gearboxes fitted backwards. So they had 4 reverse gears and 1 forwards...but knowing me dad, I'd take that with a bit of salt and a lot of parmesan! :O

reynoldsno1
29th Nov 2004, 22:00
I think the answer is what?

Gainesy
30th Nov 2004, 08:07
Airship,
I once saw a very small Italian WWII tank (two or three man crew) in the war museum in Jo'burg, which had two driver positions, front and back, not sure of the gearing though.

Ed to ad: Its called a Carro Veloce CV-33, 2,000 built, couldn't find a pic though.

Vont phood
30th Nov 2004, 09:43
If the Ghanian can go that quickly in reverse I'm surprised that the Crystal Palace manager hasn't signed him up!!

Sinker
30th Nov 2004, 10:03
The British Army used to have a thing called a Champ, which was a Jeep replacement. It had a five speed gearbox and a transfer arrangement to make all five gears available in reverse as well as in forward drive.

And it did about 7 miles to the gallon, IIRC.

M.Mouse
30th Nov 2004, 10:30
Its called a Carro Veloce CV-33, 2,000 built, couldn't find a pic though

Google is your friend, try here. (http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/spain/Spain-1.html)

Ozzy
30th Nov 2004, 13:00
Miss Bluey can tell you about driving in reverse very fast. There were a thread in here somewhere a while back where she described the joys of negotiating traffic cones in reverse at high speed...

Ozzy