PDA

View Full Version : Help with Internet connection - by Willby

Evo
29th Nov 2004, 19:02
Moderator ineptness - i merged the wrong topics, and I can't undo it...

:O :O :O

Hi,
A friend is presently staying in a NYC hotel and would like to connect his lap-top to the internet. There is a connection available in his room ( not broadband) but he does'nt know how to configure his network connection i.e he does'nt know ISP phone no.etc. Any ideas/ suggestions appreciated.
Willby

amanoffewwords replied...

Which ISP is he with? Also Operating system info would be useful.

If he isn\'t with any ISP best bet would be to go to a computer store/newsagent and get a free install CD for a local dial-up ISP.

Or ask the congierge - they\'re supposed to know EVERYTHING!

D\'oh! :O :O :O

rustle
29th Nov 2004, 20:04
Or ask the congierge - they're supposed to know EVERYTHING! Scratch that from your CV then Evo ;)

willby
29th Nov 2004, 20:47
Hi Evo
He is only on holiday and does'nt have an American ISP provider so I guess your suggestion re the free cd from the newsagent is the way to go.
Regards
Willby

amanoffewwords
29th Nov 2004, 21:36
Not Evo, me http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sign/1/sign69.gif

E-Liam
29th Nov 2004, 22:53
Hi.. whoever.. too late to work out who's the thread starter.. :D

Couldn't you just plug it in the phone socket, and use the M$ Connection Wizard, to let the machine find a local ISP? I'm not aufait with the US call billing system, but in the UK, it would be a nice local call charge ISP!

He can always delete the [now default] connection once he leaves the hotel.

A few pence worth of my thoughts.. :)

Cheers

Liam

amanoffewwords
29th Nov 2004, 22:56
Thinking about, an Internet cafe might be cheaper and simpler - hotels tend to charge you $1.3 trillion/min as I recall...

willby
30th Nov 2004, 13:04
Hi Amanoffewords and E-Liam,

Thanks for suggestions and have passed them on so hopefully communications with NYC will be in operation shortly.
Regards
Willby