PDA

View Full Version : Choices

akh
29th Nov 2004, 13:51
hi there
I have a few questions which I need to clarify.
I am currently in college studying A levels in Maths , Physics and Psychology.

I want to be a commercial pilot and i am unsure of my options.
I have applied to universities who do airline operations such as leeds and city but i may not get onto those courses. In this case I was thinking of a back up but need to know which is the strongest.

Shall I leave higher education and learn to fly in a flight school in Usa, such as Naples air centre?

or will it be better to try and get a degree by choosing an American University who do the airline operations?

thanks for your time
Much appreciated
Anish

R T Jones
29th Nov 2004, 14:28
I am in a similar postion to you, except I think im one year behind you. I thought of doing an avaition related degree but decided against it as it does close your options. I see your doing maths and physics. Consider doing those at Uni? Both I belive are in demand. Just out of personal intrest what grades are you predicted?

scroggs
29th Nov 2004, 15:50
There are a number of things you need to understand to inform your decision making:

Pilots (in UK at least) do not require a university degree. Candidates for sponsored flying training may improve their chances of selection by having a degree, but the advantage is fairly minimal. Your A-level subjects (assuming you pass at a good standard) are perfectly adequate.

A degree is a major undertaking and you are not being fair to yourself, or to whoever is paying for your studies, if you subscribe to a course which doesn't really inspire you. As a degree is not required to become a pilot, only do a degree you really will enjoy doing. If it's commercially relevant, either in aviation or elsewhere, that's great - but it's not the be-all and end-all. Unlike Medicine, or the Law, you have a completely open choice of what to take - so choose something you will enjoy.

Flying is a notoriously difficult profession to get into, and it is fundamentally insecure if you do succeed in getting in. Therefore the idea of having a back-up way of earning a living is a good one. A degree can help, but so could a plumbing course - and it's more likely to give you an income 10 years down the line if your airline folds and you've done nothing but flying in the meantime. These things do happen, often and to many pilots. It is a very serious hiccup in your life if it happens to you. Try and be ready for it.

Learning to fly in the USA can be cheaper than in UK, but isn't necessarily so. Have a very good look at all your flying training options before you settle on a US school.

You don't give us any information about how you intend to pay for this; you need this sorted out before you start down the flying training path. It is very expensive. Think carefully about the debt you are likely to have to take on.

Never, ever pay for anything up front.

Read this thread. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131649)

Scroggs

akh
29th Nov 2004, 18:01
In terms of funding my dad has agreed to help pay for most of the costs, the others i can loan. Its definately what i want to do and i think it'll be best to follow a dream than be stuck in a dead job. (probably said by many).

I am going to make a firm decision soon but a scholarship may be a good option, my grades aren't grade but i do have a lot to offer in terms of extra curricular.

Knowing me i'll probably realise there's some more questions i need to ask but thanks for your time.

Anish

R T Jones
29th Nov 2004, 19:13
in my opnion extra curricular stuff is quite importent, it gives you a bit more depth. I recently starting doing Duke of Edinburgh to add to what I can offer. If you want to pm me to ask what I have found in my research your very welcome to. What scroggs said is definate food for thought. I have also wanted to be a pilot from when i can remember but in all honesty I'm not going to get to my eyeballs in debt when I can make a good living out of Physics or Maths and fly for fun with my PPL. This is probely cutting my options right down, but i want a good life, I dont want that much debt. If i were doing my training part time while holding down a full time job, and my debt wasnt huge. I would consider self funding. But! Its all up to the indivudal, if you can afford to go intergrated at 18 then consider it. but look at the risk factors. Debt = risk. So the lower your debt the lower your risk. Anyway hope this helped you a bit, remember you can pm me if you want!