PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes, it is easier to get a job as a pilot!

Pseudonymn
29th Nov 2004, 09:11
From todays Sydney Morning Herald:

In need of a job, Don Robey applied for the position of CityRail train driver. He had heard they were in need of drivers so when he was told he was unsuccessful he asked why. He was told it was due to the sheer volume of applicants. Or perhaps they thought he was over-qualified. Don holds a commercial pilot's licence so, instead of driving trains in Sydney, he will be flying King Air 12-seater turbo-prop aircraft in Bali

http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2004/11/28/1101577351739.html

:ooh: :} :ooh:

compressor stall
29th Nov 2004, 09:53
yes, but which pays more.....:rolleyes:

HSWL
29th Nov 2004, 11:30
Been there-done that, to my everlasting embarrassment and if my daughter ever finds out she will rub it into me with glee. You see I got retrenched from a command on 737's in another lifetime and desperate to work I applied to be a postman on a motor bike.
Sat for the Australia Post aptitude test and bombed out.
Went back to flying 737's a couple of years later no problem.

Capt Claret
29th Nov 2004, 13:39
HSWL

Join the club. After retrenchment #2, in 1993, I sat for and failed an aptitude test to drive a garbage truck. :\

EPIRB
29th Nov 2004, 19:11
I once failed my taxi drivers licence. After the fact, I was told by a friend in the know that if I had slipped a bit of money under the counter I would have passed.

The Librarian
29th Nov 2004, 23:39
Bombed on an interview for packing boxes in a factory. A month later I was back flying jets."Go figure":O

Pharcarnell
30th Nov 2004, 02:03
I've heard this type of outcome from many sources over the years,
uni grads, highly qualified bodies of all ilks.
Truth is your OVERQUALIFIED ! and the turkey interviewing you is s@#t scared you're so bright, you'll have HIS job in no time flat. Therefore, YOU LOOSE.

nzmarty
30th Nov 2004, 05:13
as an LAME i couldn't get a job loading baggage. 'we're not sure you could take the large backwards step in responsibility', read: you'd be my boss in 5 minutes if you worked here......

Ultralights
30th Nov 2004, 07:02
I once failed my taxi drivers licence. After the fact, I was told by a friend in the know that if I had slipped a bit of money under the counter I would have passed.

the reason you failed is you seam to be capable of understanding the english language. :}

after i left QF, i appled for a contract at Albatross, told i was over qualified!

what a load of BS! i saw it as a chance to get back to a rural lifestyle.

Overqualified = You know more than me, ive been here for a lot longer, hence you will never have a job here if i have anything to do with it!

Frank Burden
1st Dec 2004, 03:56
I got all excited but on clicking on the link I found that I had misread the thread title.

I thought it said 'Sometimes, it is easier to get a blow job as a pilot!'

Obviously, the one track mind was being creative. Sorry!!!:O

MoFo
1st Dec 2004, 05:48
Reading the Melbourne Herald Sun rag recently while cruising along, I noticed that suburban train drivers in Melbourne have compulsory retiring age of 55.

I wondered why 55, and do they have stringent regular medicals like pilots. After all they are single pilot IFR( I Follow Rail lines) drivers in charge of a great hunk of machinery. If one carked at the controls I would hope some automatic brake system would cut in.

After wondering all that, it was time to descend.

WeekendWorrier
1st Dec 2004, 05:56
If one carked at the controls I would hope some automatic brake system would cut in. There is usually a button or lever that must be pressed every so often to prevent the engine cutting out. However, as with a lot of technology, it is not necessarily failsafe. (http://theage.com.au/articles/2004/11/23/1100972392878.html)

Lodown
1st Dec 2004, 14:03
HSWL Went back to flying 737's a couple of years later no problem.

Pseudonymn so, instead of driving trains in Sydney, he will be flying King Air 12-seater turbo-prop aircraft in Bali

The Librarian A month later I was back flying jets.

Do you see anything in common? Without knowing what the aptitude tests evaluated, any employer would find it difficult to employ someone and train them knowing the process would have to be repeated in the near future when the employee moved on. A much better investment is to hire someone for whom there is a good chance that they will stick around.