PDA

View Full Version : Command IR take-off brief

N2000
28th Nov 2004, 18:29
Hi

Does anyone have a form of words which might be suitable for a pre take-off brief when flying a light twin, (Seminole), for an IR?

Could you reply either by a PM, or an email to me at [email protected]

Ta

N2000

DeltaSix
28th Nov 2004, 22:57
Do you mean the emergency take-off brief or the passenger take-off briefing ?

for the emergency one - its the same as the briefing you have when you did your M.E. endorsement ( assuming you have the it)
about first actions in case of engine failure. :ugh:

DeltaSix :suspect:

Chimbu chuckles
28th Nov 2004, 23:54
Done to death here a few weeks ago.

all about IFR briefs and DME arc (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149470&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

BTW anyone know how thrustmaster is getting on?

N2000
29th Nov 2004, 06:42
Chimbu

Many thanks for the link, I missed it when it was being discussed.

Deltasix, yes, it was the emergency take-off brief that I needed, in an appropriate form for a light twin. (I do have a muti-engine endorsement)

Thanks folks

N2000

VH-VIN
29th Nov 2004, 07:02
Doing a check with a guy in a 402 the other day and he did a great training school brief, how when he got to blue line he would continue on the sid and all the rest.
Bloody good thing we didnt have an engine failure as we would have finished up in a heap.
Even though they tell you when you are training you will climb out on one you wont. those piston engine twins wont do it!!!!! So please dont try it if you dont want to kill yourself.

Chimbu chuckles
29th Nov 2004, 07:07
Some will under certain circumstances...I lost an engine on a 402 years ago at about 100' just as the wheels tucked up....taking off into a 300' cloudbase and pouring rain...big timber close ahead then the Huon Gulf a 100 meters further on.

It took a few miles to get to 300' and when I did my knees started shaking big time...'cause I knew I probably wasn't going to die now...but I was able to fly a low circuit and land again.

Mate has lost an engine in fully:E loaded 404 and flew a circuit.

Just gotta know the aircraft and what it will or wont do.

tinpis
30th Nov 2004, 05:09
They bloody will too.
Had a few failures in cabin twins and if you do the RIGHT thing you can expect it to work.

Gear in transit
30th Nov 2004, 10:30
I think its the Beechcraft manual that says "AIRSPEED IS THE KEY" :)

compressor stall
30th Nov 2004, 20:59
Tinpis et al.

I think a careful reading of the Tawoomba C90 accident on the ATSB website would not go astray.

Chuck is right - sometimes they will if everything is in the right. But you should presume that they wont - which is why I say after all the SID stuff - "and in the case of not accelerating and/or a negative rate of climb, land straight ahead."

VH-VIN
30th Nov 2004, 23:55
Well said CP, on a good day with a light load, gear up and a bit of speed, but most of the time you will go down a long way before you start climbing if you keep at your blue line.
The big trap is pilots pull the nose up to climb, speed come back and its all over. Remember while all that is going on you have to feather the bloody thing as well.
Pilots find it hard enough in a turbo prop and it does it for you!

tinpis
1st Dec 2004, 01:15
So we conclude the briefing is..
" This dog wont hunt on one boss,lets plunk it in the trees."

compressor stall
1st Dec 2004, 04:10
Kind of tinpis, but I would recommend saying "and if this dog wont hunt on one boss, lets plunk it in the trees."

tinpis
1st Dec 2004, 21:23
N2000 asked for a suitable briefing.
If your aeroplane wont fly on one whats the bloody point of a briefing?
:}

compressor stall
1st Dec 2004, 22:14
I am sure you are aware tinpis, but I will say it anyway for the benfit of others without our experience/knowledge.

In just about every light twin on runways of about the legth found in most GAAP airports there exists on almost every take off a small window of time in which, should there be an engine failure, you do not have enough room to stop, nor do you have the power to accelerate to your blue line speed.

Brief the standard brief involving your drills, sids etc, but append it with "and if it's deccelerating or descending, reduce power on the live and land".

Slowing thru Vmca is the other alternative, and that is rarely not fatal.

tinpis
1st Dec 2004, 22:40
http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/nothingfunnytoadd.gif

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/rant.gif