PDA

View Full Version : I coulda been a contender

Onan the Clumsy
28th Nov 2004, 16:23
Just been clearing up and found the following certificates:

Learning Swimming - (Jump into the water without holding the side and swim 9 yds)
Elementary Swimming - (swim 27 yds prone stroke, 27 yds back stroke, dive in and push and glide 15ft)
Amateur Swimming Association - Stage I
Amateur Swimming Association - Stage II
Amateur Swimming Association - Bronze Award
Amateur Swimming Association - Silver Award
School Sports - 2nd place in the tug o' war
School Sports - 2nd place in the Jump Stick Relay
AAA Three Star Award - for scoring 24 points
AAA Three Star Award - for scoring 29 points

and

The National Cycling Proficiency Certificate.

All from when I was ten or eleven. :8

Should I thorw 'em away or keep 'em?
Anyone got anything similar lying around?

Before you scoff, remember, it was bloody cold in the swimming baths in Blackpool :uhoh: :{

Flypro
28th Nov 2004, 17:02
Having retired from the services, I moved sideways (at age 40) into the same job as a Civil Servant (taking a huge pay drop I may add). After the Interview I was required to prove I had the requisite 'O' level passes, even though my previous career as a Comissioned Officer required more 'O' levels.
I was VERY p....d off, but an hour rooting in the family trunk revealed all my certificates from about age 4, all lovingly saved many years ago by my mum.
I subsequently presented the lot to the Civil Servant dork who had demanded the proof of 'O' Level passes.
My now Boss recalls a total sense of humour failure 'up the line' and comments about my suitability to become a Civil Servant being made.
I'm really proud of that!!!

Tempsford
28th Nov 2004, 17:24
Onan

Would that be the Derby Baths?

Temps

Onan the Clumsy
28th Nov 2004, 17:49
Temps Yes it would. I see the bastards have torn it down now :{

I never went off the top board, but I managed the 5m which seemed like a mountain when you were up on it, but not so high when you were in the pool looking at it.

I almost got a job there one Summer. I wish I had now because there were some really interesting places like the backup changing rooms, the learner pool, the slipper pool and the "Sun Deck"

What IS a Slipper Pool?

What about you?

Tempsford
28th Nov 2004, 19:02
Onan,

My old school (Roseacre) used to use Derby Baths. I had heard that they had knocked it down a few years ago. Didn't they used to broadcast swimming on the BBC from the Derby Baths? I do remember it as quite an imposing building. Was the pool salt water? Never went on the high board, looked too bloomin high for me.

Temps

Jerricho
28th Nov 2004, 19:08
School Sports - 2nd place in the tug o' war
School Sports - 2nd place in the Jump Stick Relay

Second place? Just think if you had applied yourself and trained harder.

Onan the Clumsy
28th Nov 2004, 19:32
I got better at tugging :E

Temps It was fresh and I think Olympic standard. They used to use it for National competitions which is why it was on the tele. It was a fantastic building, built in the thirties I think as part of a Works Administration project (or whatever it was called in the UK)

lasernigel
29th Nov 2004, 08:23
All you lucky buggers using Derby baths.When I went it was Cocker Street baths.
We only got to use Derby baths when it was the inter school swimming competitions.
Anyone remember the Lido baths on Lytham Road?

Slipper Pool Hopefully where you slip 'er a length:E

Major Cong
29th Nov 2004, 10:07
I recently had to do dingy drill refresher and we where required to put our swimming standard on the form so I wrote ‘Gold Badge’. The trainer failed to find this funny and had to fill it out again, all the fun seems to have gone out of this business! Still if I was still in the forces I would have been doing press-ups I suppose. :rolleyes:

Onan the Clumsy
29th Nov 2004, 12:01
laser Yes, I used to go to bothe the Lido and Cocker Street. I actually liked Cocker Street, but mostly because of how decrepit it was.

I never did have to go to the Open Air pool at South Shore though...thankfully.

MadsDad
29th Nov 2004, 14:51
Don't know if it's true or not (and I'm sure somebody will correct me anyway) but I was told many years ago when on holiday in Blackpool that the Derby road baths couldn't be used for international swimming races because they had been deliberately built 2 inches too short of the required length (25 metres I assume).

airship
29th Nov 2004, 17:52
They don't frame Dunloppillo mattresses do they...?

Too big for most trunks I guess. I was about 13 and had just discovered sexuality...:rolleyes: :O

Davaar
29th Nov 2004, 17:56
How can they possibly call this "elementary":

Any time one lets go of the side, elementary is left far behind.

waldopepper42
29th Nov 2004, 18:45
Yes it is a shame that Derby baths is no more.

Must have been around a while - Waldo senior recalls going there as a mere sprog to see a swimming exhibition by Johnny Weismuller (he of Tarzan fame). That means mid to late 1930's!

WP

lasernigel
30th Nov 2004, 10:59
Found out that Derby baths was 55yds in length.Don't know if that is International standard or not. Will keep searching but found this photo and some others.

memories (http://www.btinternet.com/~stephen.yarwood/blackpool.htm)