PDA

View Full Version : What to do.......

High-Flying-Adored
28th Nov 2004, 01:06
Hi there,

Firstly I would like to say how greatly I and I am sure many others, appreciate the advice and insight into this industry that we love so much. The knowledge that those 'in the know' pass onto us wannabes truly is supportive.

I too had recently harbored aspirations of becoming a maintenance engineer. So much so in fact, I had given up my place studying aviation at university (for this reason and many others I might add) in order to pursue an apprenticeship down here in oz.

I have just this week found out that QF have not accepted me into their program. Without sounding boastful or like and ego-maniac, this came as quite a shock. I have a very strong academic background (top of my physics classes and awarded a certificate from the mayor of my city for “Outstanding achievement in Science”) and a life long passion to be employed in the aviation industry. I am also 20 years old and have my vehicle, so getting to and from work would have been no problem.

Is it worth continuing down this track as I so much would like to do, I or have I reached my expiry date. I would never give up on my dreams so easily, but in light of the fact that I didn’t even make it through the first round, my perspective has changed somewhat.

Thanks for any help and I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Milt
28th Nov 2004, 01:35
High_Flying_Adored

Your ambitions are obvious.

Don't take your first knock back too hard.

Find out why you were not accepted even if it comes to exercising "Freedom of Informatiom"

If there are things you can correct then you know what you have to do.

Keep at it and if possible reapply and also apply vigorously to many others who can give you training and experience.

The industry needs keen young guys like you.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Nov 2004, 07:19
Reasons for rejection are many, and you are unlikely to be told them in most cases unless you push. As Milt says, don't take it too hard, keep going, and look for other opportunities - but try and find out why so that you can take account of it in the future.

Aerospace, and Engineering are great professions - they are also very competitive. I doubt you'll ever meet anybody who has risen to a reasonable level in either without their fair share of rejections at various levels on courses, employment, and so on. Yes, it's bloody irritating, but it'll happen again just as it has to the rest of us.

But I doubt that having an excessive ego will ever be seen as the problem - if it was, most of us would be unemployed.

G