PDA

View Full Version : Broadband problem

WE Branch Fanatic
27th Nov 2004, 22:22
Hi all

Recently Broadband has been enabled in my part of the world, and (partly on my Brother's insistance) I have been trying to install it today. AOL sent installation pack consisting of CD, Broadband modem, three DSL filters, a USB cable and a line cable.

I followed the instructions from the CD - including installing AOL 9.0. However.........when it came to the time to set it to work (by starting AOL and adjusting the set up options to find the Broadband modem - it could only find the old 56k modem. Hmmm.
Furthur testing showed that it just couldn't find it - or detect a connection. Thus back to narrowband (44kbps is fast enough most of the time.

AOL themselves suggesting that it is a problem with the DSL filters - and suggested several fault finding steps. I haven't done them all as my own investigations have precluded some simple things. However, I don't know how to sort it out. I tried unistalling the modem software and reinstalling it.

A complication: The PC is situated upstairs, the main telephone socket is downstairs. The first steps towards having internet etc access were taken in '97 with the installation of a telephone extension upsairs, a two way socket also allowing normal telephone use. This has, until now, provided me with internet access. However, it does cause a problem. It is suggested that a DSL filter (isn't filter really the wrong term?) is fitted to the master phone socket. OK - but that leaves a problem. One phone output, but need two phone leads, the one going upstairs plus one for the phone.

The (bodged) solution I tried: Fitting a filter at the main socket, the plugging the phone two way adapter to the phone output, then at the uptairs socket another DSL filter with the line lead to the modem plugged into it, and also the good ole telephone lead to the internal 56k modem.

The cable between the socket and the modem was only short - 2m/6ft ish. Would getting a longer line cable and conncting directly to a DSL filter in the main phone socket improve things? Also any other suggestions?

I'm likely to get bombarded with demands to get it working - something to with my qualifications.

Thanks in advance

WEBF

stagger
28th Nov 2004, 00:36
Two questions..

1) Exactly which model modem did they send you? AOL have been sending out some dodgy ones recently.

2) You haven't got a DSL filter plugged into an extension lead that is connected to the phone output of another DSL filter have you?

WE Branch Fanatic
28th Nov 2004, 09:46
1. It's a BT Voyager 105

2. Yes...........errr it''s the only way I could get a conection up here, might try removing the first filter and seeing what happens.

Or................

amanoffewwords
28th Nov 2004, 10:09
Have you got an icon like this in the bottom right of your screen:

http://www.wimbledonwideweb.net/assist/uploads/voyager105.jpg

If not the modem driver is not installed.

If you do you should have two green lights on the modem itself, one power and one ADSL.

If you do have those icons what colour are they?

Let me know and we can progress from there.

By the way in my experience these modems are quite reliable - better than zoom and thomson ones anyway.

WE Branch Fanatic
28th Nov 2004, 10:23
It was the csble. Now got DSL plugged in at the main phone socket. . Must get longer one. DOH!!