PDA

View Full Version : The best fictional Detective

Synthetic
26th Nov 2004, 23:21
Mrs Synth and I have just got to the end of our collection of dvds of Morse. To us, he is the greatest og the tv detectives. As far as we are concerned, John Thaw (rest his soul) played the most enjoyable TV detective ever. Second would be probably John Nettles in Midsomer. Who are your favourite?

Jerricho
26th Nov 2004, 23:23
Those Hardy Boys always got their man :E

SilsoeSid
26th Nov 2004, 23:28
Eddie Shoestring was not only a detective who solved the cases, but a radio presenter aswell. :ok:

tony draper
26th Nov 2004, 23:30
Jerremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes, def the best Homes ever.
Mike Hammer, they don't write em like Mike any more.

Cowbell
26th Nov 2004, 23:36
I have always liked Roy Marsden as Adam Dalgleish in the P.D. James mysteries.

Onan the Clumsy
26th Nov 2004, 23:43
The written word: Dave Robicheaux in the series of books by James Lee Burke :ok:

A wonderfully drawn character set against a backdrop of Louisianna bayous and New Orleans. Written in the first person it has an intruiging sense of immediacy. He's a flawed man who tries to do well and generally succeeds, but never without an inner struggle and the need to rely on his friends.

===

on TV: Jane "get yer kit off" Tennyson was good, but not as good as Robsxon Green's DI Kreegan

===

Filum: I'm thinking...

pigboat
27th Nov 2004, 01:40
Until someone better comes along it's Lucas Davenport of the "Prey" series of books by John Sandford. Great plots, and Davenport is quite willing to stretch the spirit if not the letter of the law to catch a perp. I also like the "Spenser" series by Robert B. Parker.

On film, Chief Inspector Dreyfus is a pretty cool character, given who he has to work with. :D :D

ORAC
27th Nov 2004, 08:12
Roman Grey - invented by Martin Cruz Smith before he went on to write Gorky Park etc.

radeng
27th Nov 2004, 09:15
Napoleon Bonaparte - Arthur Upfield's Australian series
Judge Dee - Robert Van Gulik, Chinese Tang dynasty
Joseph French - Freeman Wills Croft
Nero Wolfe - Rex Stout
Roderick Alleyn - Ngaio Marsh

I suppose there may be some reasonable more modern ones, but these are classics

tony draper
27th Nov 2004, 09:26
Ah yes Nero Wolfe,the series has been repeated here on a saturday afternoon,a very well made and played , the chap who plays Wolfe is excellent,great casting, can't think of his name now.
:rolleyes:

stagger
27th Nov 2004, 09:47
The ultimate team for investigating crime, arresting the perpetrators and prosecuting the offenders would consist of the following....

Pete Falk (Columbo) & John Thaw (Morse) investigating the crime.

Jerry Orbach & Chris Noth as Briscoe & Curtis (Law & Order) doing some of the door-to-door questioning.

Jack Klugman (Quincy) as the pathologist

John Thaw & Dennis Waterman as Regan & Carter (The Sweeny) executing search warrants and making the arrests.

Robbie Coltrane (Cracker) as the forensic psychologist assisting with the interrogations.

Steven Hill, Sam Waterston & Jill Hennessy as Adam Schiff, Jack McCoy & Claire Kincaid (Law & Order) carrying out the prosecutions.

Buster Hyman
27th Nov 2004, 11:09
Ellery Queen!:ok:

CarltonBrowne the FO
27th Nov 2004, 12:06
In the last couple of years I've become a big fan of Robert Crais' detective, Elvis Cole. His adventures (and those of his "dark side", Pike) are great. A modest, unassuming guy, Cole describes himself as "the World's Greatest Living Detective."
Another good one is Stone Barrington, in the books of Stuart Woods. Those books are a bit lighter, but very entertaining.

tony draper
27th Nov 2004, 12:23
I can remember Fabian of the Yard,in flickering 405 line black and white on a 12 inch screen.
:rolleyes:

redsnail
27th Nov 2004, 12:25
Detective Sargent Donger with his bionic gut from the Paul Hogan series.
Pure class. :E

Standard Noise
27th Nov 2004, 13:32
Redsnail :ok: Fab choice. Sgt Donger a real man's anti-PC PC.

Wish they'd show Hogan's old stuff again, it was far funnier than most of the rubbish today.:D

MadsDad
27th Nov 2004, 21:33
Lord Peter Wimsey.

Catches murderers. Rights wrongs. Protects England on behalf of the foreign office. Collects Incumnabulae. Scores with the ladies.

And rings the right bells.

(And they definitely got the right actor for the part in Edward Petheridge).

AntiCrash
27th Nov 2004, 22:57
J Edgar Hoover

Wasn't worth a damn in real life though. Said there was no such thing as organized crime. His bleeding office was in Washington DC and he couldn't find organized crime? Really.

amanoffewwords
27th Nov 2004, 23:49
Inspector Clouseau and Hercule Poirot :ok: