PDA

View Full Version : Journalists

The Invisible Man
26th Nov 2004, 20:05
No matter which forum you read, it seems that Journalists are not very well liked. Mainly because of the hype used to describe, what to those in the airline industry, are probably every day occurences, and not news worthy.

I guess there are members here who could/ would give an honest account of newsworthy incidents they have knowledge of, if what was written was correct and not in anyway hyped up.

Those who post on the forums and are accused of being journos are rarely seen again.

Would it be possible to extend a hand of friendship or is it a bridge too far?

Off to Las Palmas for a week, so will report any newsworthy incidents from the Canaries:cool:

flybhx
26th Nov 2004, 20:19
Would it be possible to extend a hand of friendship or is it a bridge too far?

As the old saying goes "never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
They cannot be trusted.

VP959
26th Nov 2004, 20:56
I guess there are good, honest, journos, but it does seem from my experience that many are the complete opposite. I only know one or two journos who behave reasonably, one of whom frequents PPRuNe from time to time.

I've worked with about six different TV production companies and found that the only one which was fair, reasonable and extremely polite at all times was NHK (Japanese national TV). They were an absolute pleasure to work with, unlike Harlequin Productions who exhibited journalistic standards little better than those of the Sport "newspaper". Even the BBC were a bit flaky; I just don't respond well when surrounded by "luvvies". Kilroy's mob were reasonable, at least they sent a Merc round to pick me up..........

Astrodome
26th Nov 2004, 21:08
Would it be possible to extend a hand of friendship or is it a bridge too far? I work in the Railway industry, and much like the air transport industry, most 'journalists' who attempt to obtain information are doing so in order to sensationalise something.

The average attention span of a journalist is a few seconds, and their ability to understand complex or technical subjects practically nil.

I would extend a hand to your average journalist in the same way I would to a hungry alligator.

Most of these people are the dregs of the society whose only interest is to write a 'sensationalist' story, and will never let a little matter like the truth or facts get in the way of a good story.

There are good journalists who will write accurate pieces and in due time they are welcomed and respected by the majority of senior railway figures. I could name these people on the fingers of one hand.

Unfortunately there has been much money wasted on irrelevant safety systems and processes which have delivered no increase in safety (in some cases they have actually increased risk) because of sensationist and inaccurate reporting. Once the media light onto what they perceieve to be the solution, then balanced and reasoned reporting goes out the window, and the usual diatribe is trotted out.

That is the saddest thing of all, and has been brought about by journalists creating a problem with a 'simple' answer, and then lobbying for that solution. The fact that the 'solution' is inadequate matters not for the sake of a few inches of print, and presumably their own career development.

As a result every problem has to be reduced to a soundbite with a very simple solution no matter what the real one may be. We also have learnt that it is ALWAYS the Industry's fault, even when moronic car drivers drive onto railway lines.

I have in the past had great pleasure from having journalists ejected from railway property, and in over 30 years in the Industry I have met only four journalists whom I have any time for.

noisy
26th Nov 2004, 21:18
It is unfair to tar all journalists with the same brush, however I have noticed that the most sucessful people in the industry are the biggest brown nosers who don't rock the boat.

Seems to me that idealistic young journos come out of college and operate cameras in ramallah and port au prince and very quickly become jaded. The news industry also generates complacency without intending to because the newsrooms have monitors spewing gory images out to the staff there 24 hours a day. In short, anyone who stands in front of the camera has probably seen it all before.

Put these two factors together and you get a kind of 'sameness' about news reports which I find quite annoying.

"their ability to understand complex or technical subjects practically nil."

I agree wholeheartedley. (Cut to shot of small child suffering.)

Onan the Clumsy
26th Nov 2004, 21:43
On the other hand...

...they only exist because The Public consumes their product. We are The Public too.

Witnesseth ye: The Diana debalce. How many people decried the role the photographers played in the incident? And how many of those then rushed out and bought any and every magazine they could find on her death and her funeral? :yuk:

(Not that I disagree with anything any of you have said in the earlier posts.)

tony draper
26th Nov 2004, 21:49
The Star system Reticulam,has something unique in the entire universe, the star group has among its number a small G type star called logically enough Tau Ceti, its forth planet lies within the ecosphere of said Star and life evolved there 7.5 billion years ago,
apparently Journalists are popular there.
:rolleyes:

airship
26th Nov 2004, 22:14
Happy hols T.I.M. ! :) Uhmmm, you're not going to that island where half of it could slide into the Atlantic, resulting in tidal waves which would destroy all life on the US eastern seabord?! I'd be very careful how heavily you jump off the plane...:(

Astrodome
26th Nov 2004, 22:45
Tau Ceti, its forth planet lies within the ecosphere of said Star and life evolved there 7.5 billion years ago,apparently Journalists are popular there Must have a lot of pubs open all hours then

Jerricho
26th Nov 2004, 22:52
There are one or two people on the boards here that have openly identified themselves as Journos, and I do respect their honesty. However, if anything that was included on the site was used as the basis or research for a story, that is folly indeed (as a certain glasses wearing bikkie maker in Australia has been known to do on his own web-site and to members of the media AND parliament)

BlueWolf
26th Nov 2004, 23:15
One does hope you're referring to professional journalists only, and not to part-timers like me?:uhoh:

Jerricho
26th Nov 2004, 23:22
Take it easy Bluey ;)

'Tis elsewhere I am casting my net.

BlueDiamond
27th Nov 2004, 00:12
Would it be possible to extend a hand of friendship ... ?
Why? You should see the creative slant they're capable of putting on a report of even the most straightforward situation. There are times when that slant is at such a perilous angle that the truth is unable to hold on and slides out of sight.

Grandpa
27th Nov 2004, 06:20
There is a number .

But there is a fairly number of reasons why you can't check it:

In newspapers, their work is often rewritten or cut or titled by others.

The pressure of "advertising budget" leads the editors to be very shy about firms who invest much there, this being the main reason for a kind of side corruption ( I have seen it many times regarding the way social conflicts were related inside or outside of aviation).

Not to speak about the pressure of the owner as can be seen in TV (remember how FOX is working, it was recently publicised in a film by ex-Fox employees).

Add to that the "blood" pressure, the need for speed....and you know why you are not often satisfied whith the accuracy of you reading or watching.

Not to speak about the bad ones: this job is may be the best opportunity for liars (apart from politics) because they can enjoy irresponsiblity at large, as they are not often questionned about their faults.