PDA

View Full Version : Bootstrapping, BoostRapping or BoostStrapping ?

R1Tamer
26th Nov 2004, 02:31
Any takers!

In an externally supercharged aviation(turbocharged) variable pressure piston engine (not many around now I know but it's still in the JAA ATPL's) what is the correct term for the phenomena which can occur at the inlet when the compressor output fluctuates due to temp/pressure anomolies?

I believe the phenomona is corrected by a pair of controller valves (diff pressure & density) but can't find anywhere a comprehensive explantion as to it's cause and correct name.

Anybody give me a steer on where I can find out more - preferably online?

Thanks,

411A
26th Nov 2004, 03:57
Yes, bootstrapping is the preferred term, and it indeed was a problem on some earlier types, especially at or above the critical altitude.

Have a look at www.enginehistory.org and you might find a discussion there.

Good luck!

enicalyth
26th Nov 2004, 10:07
Websearch on "bootstrap", "wastegate" "automatic wastegate" "differential pressure controller". eg
http://www.ec.erau.edu/cce/centers/edwards/AMT280/Topic11presentation.htm

The phenomenon is that the engine cannot maintain the desired manifold pressure and is principally caused by the engine rpm being too low and the altitude too high.

R1Tamer
26th Nov 2004, 20:32
411A / Enicalith

Thanks to you both for the web links. Curious to know now though, why it's called 'bootstrapping'. The name doesn't seem to bear any relevance to the phenomona or am I missing an obvious connection here?

Tinstaafl
28th Nov 2004, 01:30
This goes back a long time ago in my training so is probably not exactly correct. However:

If you can increase the engine RPM then you will increase the supercharger RPM which will in turn increase the engine HP which will then increase the engine's ability to drive the supercharger and all the other things that need HP.

'Lifting itself up by its own bootstraps' comes to mind.

R1Tamer
28th Nov 2004, 02:10
tinstaafl,

now that makes a lot of sense.....thanks!