PDA

View Full Version : Long Haul flight

a9733232hkg
25th Nov 2004, 16:04
Hi fellow pilots,

I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with. What qualifies as a long Haul flight? How many wheel are there on a Beoing 747-400, 777-300, Airbus 340-300, 340-600,and 330-300? Thanks ahead

fishtits
25th Nov 2004, 16:21
:E

Biggles Flies Undone
25th Nov 2004, 16:25
Naughty boy fishtits.... http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/Miscguy2.gif

:E

Rollingthunder
25th Nov 2004, 16:30
Hang on, I'm still counting. Got the gearboxes, instruments done - oh damn, forgot the engines - then there are those rubber tyred thingies.

Jerricho
25th Nov 2004, 16:31
Fishy..........shouldn't that be "Hooray for fishbumps?"

The Invisible Man
25th Nov 2004, 16:33
In answer to your questions

Anything over 20 minutes cos its tiring.

Lots.

Not as many

Not as many as previous.

A few more than before.

A few less.

Hope this helps, :E

fishtits
25th Nov 2004, 16:47
LOL...... And the prize goes to....... T.I.M. Fellow Pilot extrordinaire or TIMFPE for short :E

Jezzer, you're probably right, however I'm just trying to be fair to the ladies... Their poor little bumps hardly ever get a mention on JB :rolleyes:

JB Rules :cool:

FT

Jerricho
25th Nov 2004, 16:55
True mate. It is something I would talk about in a hotel lobby ;)

Christ I hope Ma'am Flappy don't read this!!

VFE
26th Nov 2004, 00:07
Blimey! Not often we get a live one is it?! :E

VFE.

Feeton Terrafirma
26th Nov 2004, 00:13
What qualifies as a long Haul flight

I know!

I know!!

I know!!!

Miss, Miss, I know the answer to that one.... Miss???

it's anything that is longer than short haul.

As to the wheels.... they ALL have 2 at the front. :)

The Invisible Man
26th Nov 2004, 00:29
Im sorry 9973323hkg , the others are not being very helpful are they.

Wheels answer is

kookabat
26th Nov 2004, 00:35
I always thought the answer was 42??:}

Jerricho
26th Nov 2004, 01:27
There's always one :rolleyes:

Feeton Terrafirma
26th Nov 2004, 01:44
Mr Invisible Man, is that counting the front wheels I already counted?

The Invisible Man
26th Nov 2004, 01:47
Oh bu**a :mad: :mad: :mad:

That makes my answer wrong then dunnit!!

If I have time tonight, or in your case this morning, I will leave 9973etc a formula to help solve his problem.

Edited to say I have had time.

Formula for wheels.

A. x=14

B. x=(A)-0

C. x=(A) + B -2

D. x=(A) +0

E. x=(A) -4

Feeton Terrafirma
26th Nov 2004, 03:40
hmmmmm.

Let me see.

to get this right for the 747-400 we need....

X + ((-B)*2 ) - FT_ALLOW (allowance for front wheels already counted by myself) = 16 if I'm not mistaken?

I could be wrong, I think I was wunce ;)

Blacksheep
26th Nov 2004, 04:27
SQ's SFO to SIN is definitely long haul.

Their A340 has lots of those wheels and tyres and things. They even have an extra wheel to hold their belly off the ground. There's a lot of pilots that could do with one of them...

Evening Star
26th Nov 2004, 07:07
No Feeton, I may merely be SLF, but even I can see the error in that. From my brief view through the little window by the controls on the jetbridge I also know you have to factor in the number of wings, so that:

LH = (X + ((-B)*2 ) - FT_ALLOW])/W

Where LH > 15 we have long haul.:ok:

SawThe Light
26th Nov 2004, 07:16
Warning! Warning. Is this another one of those sly media reporters trying to get someone to inadvertantly let a secret slip?

The Invisible Man
26th Nov 2004, 07:52
Oh no.. I hope that is not the case....

I given him/her the formula to work out the number of wheels on every aircraft in the world. :(

Those bl**dy journos :mad:

Jerricho
26th Nov 2004, 14:47
Daily Moaner

Death-trap Jets

Our reporter can reveal that after becoming privy to a secret code to ascertain the appropriate number of wheels on an aircraft, many jets travelling our skies are dangerously under-equipped..............

Onan the Clumsy
26th Nov 2004, 15:12
Look, I'm sorry but in the second operandX + ((-B)*2 ) - FT_ALLOW there's really no need to use the negative scalar of B as it's going to be exponentiated anyway.

In other words (to rephrase it for the higgerant) ((-B)*2) = ((B)*2)

Right then...Finsbury Park

Paterbrat
26th Nov 2004, 16:19
How many wheel are there?? obviously only one then.
Wheels, however... then there would be, hmm the formula given by the invisble one + the number of wheeled suitcases in the holds X 2 + 4X the number of carts on board the various aircraft

Jerricho
26th Nov 2004, 16:29
Does it also allow for any prams/pushchairs/wheelchairs etc in the hold?

Paterbrat
26th Nov 2004, 16:55
Oops...absolutely correct, the answer obtained should then be + Y. Y being the unknown variable of other wheels present

SyllogismCheck
26th Nov 2004, 17:00
Your wasting your time with those formulae people.
Beoing 747-400
Your all factoring for the Boeing 747-400 when the question actually asked involves the lesser known yet still venerable Beoing 747-400.

Pay attention, please!
:rolleyes:

Paterbrat
26th Nov 2004, 17:18
Oh! I misread. My formula was for the 'Boing' 747-400 and the others:\ a much less well known model prone to bouncy landings.

Wannabe Flyboy
26th Nov 2004, 17:55
Does it also allow for any prams/pushchairs/wheelchairs etc in the hold?

Not forgetting the wheels on the food trolleys, drinks trolleys, duty free trolleys and, of course, the trolley dollies.

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Nov 2004, 18:05
...And those drag along suitcases in the hold......

Jerricho
26th Nov 2004, 18:08
What if sombody had a unicycle in their checked luggage? I need answers damn it!

SyllogismCheck
26th Nov 2004, 19:20
Sheesh. Lucky I'm back to help out again.

Jerricho.
Those carrying uincycles would be apparent by their big shoes, red noses and plastic, water squirting flowers on the lapels of their jackets.

You know nothing. Nothing I tell you.
Or maybe you do and your simply not applying yourself, which is worse!

Anymore questions? Ask now. I'd rather like to go to the pub you know.
:rolleyes:

Astra driver
26th Nov 2004, 21:36
This just in from the L.A. times;

"Passengers narrowly escape death on flight to Los Angeles"

Passengers on a flight from Phoenix to Los Angeles had a brush with death yesterday when the wheels on the Boeing A320 twin turboprop they where flying suddenly folded up into the aircraft shortly after takeoff.

"As soon as we where airborne I heard a loud bump and new something was wrong" said Norman Green who was a passenger on the flight.

Several witnesses on the ground also saw the terrifying event unfold, Mandy Davis of Scottsdale, AZ was driving by the airport when she saw the aircraft taking off, "I heard this loud roar and it sounded like the airplane was in trouble, I looked up just in time to see the wheels fold up into the airplane, then it looked like an engine exploded and a wing fell off."

Passengers were not notified by the crew of anything going wrong.

"I found it very unsettling that the crew refused to give us any information, they acted as if nothing had happened" said Penelope Green who was traveling with her husband to Los Angeles.

No distress call was made by the crew and the flight continued to Los Angeles where fate stepped in and the wheels fell back out of the aircraft Just moments before the jet hurtled onto the runway.

"I thought, this is it, we're all going to die," said Norman Green, "But then there was this loud grinding and wooshing noise, shortly before we hit the ground, I guess that is what must have saved us."

The NTSB says they have no record of the near tragedy which leads to suspicions of a cover up.

An attempt to call the Airlines offices was abandoned after we were unable to comprehend the instructions on the Automated Attendant.

Norman Green says he will never fly on the airline again unless they have really cheap airfares, he is looking for an Attorney to sue for stress caused by the harrowing ordeal.

Jerricho
26th Nov 2004, 22:55
SyllogismCheck. Your WRONG!! Wrong I tells ya!!!

What if the said unicycle was actually a gift to a person not on the flight? Or the owner was a memeber of the "Unicycles are not just for Clowns Society of Manitoba". Too many variables...........

I am thinking outside the box.

SyllogismCheck
27th Nov 2004, 00:04
What if? What if? Surely thats obvious.

Assuming the average non unicycle carrying pax brings aboard 1 item of hold baggage fitted with 2 wheels we can deduce the average wheel/pax ratio as 2/1.

Someone transporting the unicycle as a gift would in all probability be unable to ride it themselves so would have it packed in a case with wheels.
Total wheels for pax = 3

The member of the UanjfCSoM would of course be riding their unicycle to the airport and hence would not be using wheeled luggage but a backpack or similar.
Total wheels for pax = 1

Thus the median wheel/pax ratio of these two types of passenger is 2/1 as per the average non unicycle transporting pax, hence no effect on the overall ratio.

The clown however will be forced to travel with a large piece of luggage to accomodate spare pairs of big shoes thus have a case with unicycle packed inside and of course be carrying the steering wheel of his comedy car which feel apart as he arrived at the terminal.
Total wheels for pax = 4

Therefore only the clown increases the number of wheels on the aircraft being the only one who causes an upward trend outside the median in the wheel/pax ratio amongst unicycle transporting passenger groups.

Elementary surely? :rolleyes:

McGinty
27th Nov 2004, 02:54
The poor bugger still hasn't found out what a long haul flight is. Isn't it one to a destination that is too far to return from on the same day within the same duty roster? i.e. you have to take a kip at the destination before flying again.

The Invisible Man
27th Nov 2004, 04:44
McGinty ,

I think you may have something there. Hang on, I think there may be a formula for that....

A = Start time ( off Chocks)

B= Finish time ( on chocks)

C = Start time for return journey

D= Distance in Kms from A to B

E= Time for sleeps in between A B C

F= Variable for time zones

G Time spent in bar ( Optional)

So applying this formula to any given flight, anyway round----

Its obvious what Longhaul is aint it ?

Feeton Terrafirma
27th Nov 2004, 07:22
Excuse me Mr McGinty but I gave the diffinative answer back on page one when I said:

it's anything that is longer than short haul

Notso Fantastic
27th Nov 2004, 09:44
None of you have actually answered the question in your quest to display your depth of knowledge!

So what value of 'y' do we have?

Did you see on the news the other night, 11 year old kids in 1898 used to work out the square root of a number in the tens of millions longhand? Heavens! How'd dey do dat? I would square root it on a claculator, or logarithm it and half it and antilog it, but longhand? Any clues?

* Damn clever things these claculators, but they make you lazy!

Feeton Terrafirma
27th Nov 2004, 10:19
I'm NOT lazy, but my finger gets tired pushing all those buttons.

The problem with unicycle calculations is they fail to consider the new fangled tricyle undercarriage suitcases. This would mean that some SLF would infact have 3 wheels whilest others have two. Because the TUS (tricyle undercarriage suitcase) is new there are not many around yet but sales tell us that marketing are doing a great job and production will have to work harder to fulfill orders. This means the ratios of two and three wheel suitcases is changing rapidly.

Bottom line? We now have no idea how many wheels are involved with any aircraft, except if its a float plane.

I'm not sure how the number of wings relates to the number of wheels or the long haul status either. May be those monowing planes have less wheels than the biplanes or triplanes? What about canards and planes with no horizontal tail surfaces?

Jerricho
27th Nov 2004, 14:55
My head hurts............bad.

I don't think I want to play anymore.