PDA

View Full Version : Three top managers go as CASA revamp puts passengers first

Wirraway
25th Nov 2004, 15:19
Fri "The Australian"

Three top managers go as CASA revamp puts passengers first
Steve Creedy
November 26, 2004

THREE of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority's executive management have been forced out as it restructures to concentrate its resources on passenger operations.

The changes were part of wider reforms unveiled by chief executive Bruce Byron this week as he put his stamp on the authority in the wake of a lengthy review. Aviation safety standards head Bill McIntyre, corporate services executive manager Sue-Ellen Bickford and CASA improvement program chief Ray Comer were told of the decision on Wednesday.

Mr Byron, who will take more direct responsibility for human resource functions, said he expected to release a new management structure early next year.

"However, it was clear to me that some executive changes were required immediately," he told staff in an internal memo. "I believe it is necessary to reinvigorate the executive team.

"There are a myriad of fresh challenges ahead for CASA and fresh people at the executive level of management will bring new energy and ways of thinking to our work."

Mr Byron unveiled a package of reforms which emphasise the importance of passenger operations but allocate fewer resources to non-passenger activities such as aerial agriculture and private flights.

The authority used factors such as public concerns about risks, safety expectations and the potential for multiple fatalities to draw up a list of priority areas topped by big passenger aircraft.

Most of CASA's resources will go to five areas, which range from big airlines to joyflights and flying training.

The authority will limit its activities in non-passenger sectors to licensing, education and acting against people or organisations who endanger lives or flout safety rules.

"For the first time we have a clear policy that says passengers come first and all other operations take lower priority," Mr Byron said. "It doesn't mean we will walk away from safety regulation in the lower priority areas, but it does mean we will move our resources to match priority given to passengers.

"This policy will allow us to think more clearly about what activities are really needed in each sector of the industry, so we can become more effective in improving safety."

Mr Byron said flying training was ranked ahead of some other activities because of its importance to safety across the industry.

"Many of the people who are student pilots today go on to become commercial and air transport pilots, carrying the bulk of passengers," he said.

The Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association yesterday welcomed the reforms and said they would help the ailing general aviation sector.

=========================================

Sunfish
25th Nov 2004, 18:52
Hope its all for the best, but I can't help wondering if we we are witnessing the first fruits of Mr. Richard Smith's antics.

I know its only a newspaper article, but It sounds to me like GA is being put very firmly in its place with very little (if any) say in the future of aviation in this country. In other words, CASA couldn't give a flying F$%^ about GA and private pilots, except as fodder for commercial schools. Thanks Dick. I wonder what restrictions CASA will now put on PPL holders and GA operations?

And then there is AOPA. You planned a pathetic national day of action. CASA is taking action to ensure you will have zero influence in future.

The moral of the story is this: If you want to change things, do it by working patiently WITH the people concerned.

Keg
26th Nov 2004, 01:16
...concentrate its resources on passenger operations

I touched on this in a recent uni assignment. Whilst admirable and makes sense from a 'risk' and/or potential loss perspective, have a look at the crash statistics and see where the real cost of aircraft prangs are going.

Most of them are NOT in fare paying pax operations but in other types of prangs. Helicopter prangs, mustering, spraying, GA aircraft and so on. Sure, you need to allocate some resources at the top end of town but if you REALLY want to reduce the costs to the greater aviation industry then don't just focus on the far paying punter, focus on where the accidents are actually happening! :(

Lodown
26th Nov 2004, 03:25
Time will tell, but my first impression is one of congratulations to Bruce Byron and his team. I like the actions so far. I think they will be good for the entire industry, not just GA. I'm waiting for a bit of a shakeup in the flight training and examination section, but one step at a time.

Obiwan
26th Nov 2004, 03:32
Most of them are NOT in fare paying pax operations but in other types of prangs. Helicopter prangs, mustering, spraying, GA aircraft and so on.

Last CASA air safety forum I attended they mentioned that GA prangs had come down - you'd think by working more with GA they could bring that down further? Or are they moving to self admin of private flying similar to gliding and now aerial ag etc?

http://www.casa.gov.au/media/2004/04-06-11.htm