PDA

View Full Version : choppers Vs planes

gilmaris
25th Nov 2004, 14:22
Right then, first post on this website after months of confusion. Have spent countless hours doing research for plane training and have finally found a school that fits my needs BUT then the thought of helicopter training poisioned my mind and has left me back at square one with a load more stuff to find out.

Now, this isnt gonna be a 'what school is best' post but more of a 'what are the pro's and con's of each profession?' I realise that some of these are subjective questions of which the answers are neither right or wrong. here goes

Which is the more 'enjoyable' to fly?

It seems to me that Heli flying is more diverse and therefore more interesting than fixed wing flying. - Is this true, or at least a belief shared by many?

I know that finding jobs flying either can be tough but is one field easier to get employment in than the other? (this is assuming one has at least CPL, IR, fATPL in either and possibly some instructor experience. Furthermore, i'm a UK native with no desire to live here at all - which field has better opportunites for working oversees?

Which field provides the greater salaries? (this is, sadly, quite relavant to me as i would have to pay back a large loan).

Hope that these questions dont seem to stupid for all those far wiser than me out there. Would appriciate any comments back which, hopefully, will help me choose what to learn to fly.

Ciao

Bruno Silva
26th Nov 2004, 14:03
Hello mate!!

First of all, I´m still in the dreaming phase...dream to become a pilot!!:}

But I´ve got a friend who made both airplane and helicopter training and for what he said, HELICOPTER is by far more fun to fly!!
And there is also better perspectives of jobs!!!
He was not the only one who said that about jobs...I have other friends who made Plane training and said the same thing!

Maybe others will have different opinions but this is what I can tell you!!

By the way I´m also without knowing wich one to choose but I think I will choose Fixed Wings!!
I prefere simple to complex, and, it´s cheaper!!!:}

Where are you thinking to make your training???
I´m also from Europe but I want to make it out of here!!

Send me a PM if you like!!:ok:

FlyingForFun
26th Nov 2004, 16:30
Not relevant to the commercial options, but very relevant as far as pure raw job satisfaction is concerned - why don't you have a go at each of them? You will be able to organise trial lessons for fixed wing at just about any local airfield, and helicoptor trial lessons at a large number of airfields. You might find that one of them is so enjoyable that you suddenly have no interest in the other any more?

FFF
-----------

Floppy Link
1st Dec 2004, 11:49
...and it's usually the fixed wing that loses! It was for me anyway.

RVR800
1st Dec 2004, 14:05
Helicopter instructors get paid loads more than their fixed wing colleagues....

I believe GAPAN are planning to do away with the CPL/FI
requirement for fixed wing and so you may be able to get away with just the PPL and the FI course - its all very cloak and dagger though - trouble is the people like yourself have no means of assessing risk or licencing plans as the authorities keep unpallatable facts to themselves - they tend to blame the JAA of which they are members.

Be very careful to check what the CAA are planning - they dont tend to tell people whats afoot until its too late - although that situation may change with FOIA that from next year this act requires them to reveal statistics on student pilot progression/withdrawal so you would know what the risks are then...

Internationally a multi-crew pilot under training will shortly be able to go straight from a single engined light aircraft into an airliner and the Europe people are still thinking about that one ...

Good luck with your decision and remember you can make a small fortune in this game providing you start with a large one

Oggin Aviator
1st Dec 2004, 17:09
Internationally a multi-crew pilot under training will shortly be able to go straight from a single engined light aircraft into an airliner...

can you expand on this statement - does it infer the whole training regime requirements (licenses etc) will change?

cheers

Oggin

yyzdub
1st Dec 2004, 18:10
I think that not only must you consider the enjoyment of the flying but also the lifestyle either will bring.

Heli pilots usually find themselves in remote places - oil rigging, logging, heli skiing, etc. or the odd few will fly for a radio/television, private, etc - those are only a few select and most will probably come from a military background willing to work for a little bit less since they are also probably recieving a pension.

Although fixed wing pilots also can find themselves in remote areas, they will eventually, should airlines be their final goal, find themselves stationed in a city and with the more hours they have, should have more choice.

As for the salary - well airliners will top off higher that what heli outfits will usually offer - ex. Qantas 370 000 AUS, I doubt you'll find a heli job reaching there.

This is all from my experiences and whom I've spoken with - so before people jump on me for this post, I am well aware there are exceptions to everything.

I do however think that heli flying could be more exciting as it certainly would be more diverse and requires a lot more pilot input and to me that equals excitement.

They are two different careers so make sure you choose wisely, not just which pays more or which will afford a job quicker - it's for life, not just for now.

yyzdub