PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to the Co-op?

Mylo
25th Nov 2004, 12:37
Whilst out shopping this morning for a few essential items, I was in my local CO-OP looking for some fruit and veg.
This section consisted of three bananas,half a bunch of grapes and a bag of carrots, oh and a potato. As I was looking for a couple of onions, I thought I would ask a member of staff to fetch some from the store room, only to be told that they don't sell onions anymore!!
What has happened to a once Great British institution....

lasernigel
25th Nov 2004, 12:47
It's cos yer live daaaaahhhhnnnn South.Co-op in the little village next to my workplace stocks all veg, salad stuff,meat and wines and a cash point.Nowt wrong with this one.:ok:

Parapunter
25th Nov 2004, 13:37
Hmmm, yer don't wanna take a spotty teenage assistant at face value & I should know, I was that spotty co-op teenager. Prolly just went in before the lorry got there.

eal401
25th Nov 2004, 13:39
Hmm, I've been a spotty faced Co-op teenager too!

I did try to be helpful though. :)

tony draper
25th Nov 2004, 15:47
Co-ops are few and far between even oop north now, they have one in the Beamish Museum, I can still remember me mums divi number,14314, also remembers the smell of the co-op,a pleasing mix of ground coffee,tea , butter cheeses ect.
A lot of Co-op factories were in my town, all derelict now if they still exist, peeps forget the Co-op manufactured a lot of their goods,and were a big employer here at one time.
:rolleyes:

simon brown
25th Nov 2004, 17:44
They are too busy burying people to become proficient grocers

Parapunter
25th Nov 2004, 17:50
ALLDAYS YANKS ME CHAIN. :mad: Sorry, didn't mean to shout, had caps lock on. Alldays are co-op in drag, all cept they yak up the prices by 20%. That is such opportunism - it's all kept going off the same supply chain, so how can it be 20% cheaper to do four times the volume in a superstore than a P:mad: ssy little corner shop in smaller motors & less frequent deliveries???

The Invisible Man
25th Nov 2004, 19:22
Eee me Ma's divi number 31178.

Remember the things that flew overhead on wires? They used to put the money in the overhead container and bedoyng it to the cashier....change and receipt would return by same method. Anyone remember what that system was called.

The main Co-op in town had a vacuum system that transported containers to cashiers.

Big Tudor
25th Nov 2004, 20:04
This should prolly go in the TTRBATSOID thread but here goes.

The CO-OP you mention at Beamish drapes came from Annfield Plain. I can vividly remember them carefully removing it brick by brick and numbering all the pieces so it would go back together again. My grandpappy was involved in the move as he is a close friend of one of the Beamish guys. I can also rememebr them doing the same with Rowley station. :ugh:

Erwin Schroedinger
25th Nov 2004, 20:50
The Co-op near me must have the worst stock control of any shop on the planet.

Stuff in stock one week has a week or two on holiday from the shelves before re-appearing.

Shopping there is pot luck.

Wish it would go out of business and we could get a decent supermarket chain instead. Trouble is, none are decent, just better than the Co-op!

The Co-op staff are also ignorant, impolite and slow.

I feel better for that whinge! :}

spekesoftly
25th Nov 2004, 20:50
................. Anyone remember what that system was called.

The main Co-op in town had a vacuum system that transported containers to cashiers.

The vacuum system you recall were probably 'Lamson Tubes'.

I believe Lamson also supplied a wire and pulley system similar to the one described.

tony draper
25th Nov 2004, 21:17
Yup I remember when they moved a whole street of houses not far from where Drapes lives now up to Beamish, Ravensworth Terrace, twas called,
Buggah I can even remember Ravensworth Castle, though that was demolished when Drapes was but a wee bit lad.
PS One used to install the modern equivilent of those vacuum tube systems, in all new Sainsbury stores, the carriers traveled at about 500 FPS, we had to fit knife valves in the tubes to slow em down before they hit the station.
:cool:

Astrodome
25th Nov 2004, 21:21
I find the Co-ops round my way are quite expensive in comparison to other supermarkets. You can get some very good special offers but if you do a full week's shop you pay a lot more than Asda/Safeway/Sainsbury's/Morrisons.

You actually need to be rich to shop in them these days!

Blacksheep
26th Nov 2004, 05:02
Does the Co-operative Wholesale Society still sell milk coupons? When I were a lad you used to put out the milk bottles with one little plastic milk coupon for each pint that you wanted that day. The idea was that if you put out cash it would tempt weak willed folks into the sin of stealing. As the coupons were accepted tender in exchange for a bottle of CWS milk I never understood why the coupons never got stolen instead. But they didn't. You can only drink so much milk I suppose...

...and thieving gits could always nick the full bottles off the doorstep anyway.

eal401
26th Nov 2004, 07:56
I got a 5 "share" in the Co-op when I started working for them back in 1992(for a WHOLE 2.02 an hour!!). Wonder how much that's worth now!

tony draper
26th Nov 2004, 08:29
One assumes the phrase
"She has a arse like a Co-op cart horse"
is no longer applicable then.

eal401
26th Nov 2004, 08:47
You never saw any of the "older" female staff in my old store Drapes!

:uhoh:

Synthetic
26th Nov 2004, 22:19
When I was little (oh alright - young) our Co-op dividend number was 9253. As well as an extensive range of a certain supplier, who at the time sold 53 varieties, thay also sold corn by the pound for our chickens.

That was very South.

Mylo
27th Nov 2004, 09:10
I ended up getting my onions at the local farm shop.
Three for a whole 12p....now that's a bargain!!

Tone
27th Nov 2004, 09:51
Brilliant service from a local store, asked for a brown sliced wholemeal load and back came the reply "Sorry but we've sold it, I can order you one for you next week"

"it" ????

tony draper
27th Nov 2004, 10:55
I have a history of the Co-op organisation here, it more or less started in this neck of the woods,it made a great difference in ordinary working peoples lives, it took them out of the hands of the company store for the first time, twas a force for great good in its time.

Lon More
27th Nov 2004, 14:24
In the 1960s the Divvy system couldn't compete with the introduction of Green Shield stamps and similar.

Also lots of small uneconomical shops being kept open as a result of the "social" side.

Concentration on their own products - anyone remember Minor cigarettes or Hendry's lemonade in Scotland? - with almost total exclusion of other brands become unacceptable around that time.

My father was a manager at one of their factories and saw this coming. He jumped ship and became a postman; less stress and almost as much money.

Tuba Mirum
27th Nov 2004, 20:58
Co-op must still be alive and kicking... they've just opened a funeral parlor in my village :rolleyes:

Astrodome
27th Nov 2004, 21:12
From the Cradle to the Grave!
And everything in between

mallouin
28th Nov 2004, 13:52
Co-op still doing vv nicely in our neck the woods CI Co-op soc,still does divi and is competetive (that is a touch sarcastic if you knew our prices ),also pretty much alive and kicking in lots of other european countries:)