PDA

View Full Version : Saud ?

7gcbc
25th Nov 2004, 10:06
Tricks, Tips and Traps ?

What is the general opnion on working in Saudi Arabia these days ? Land based only, no flying.

Is it worth it (given the current climate), or should I just pass it up ?

any advice would be very welcome.

cheers

7gcbc

<edit> Locatoin is very likely Riyadh :} apologies for not posting location, and I *am* interested in Arabic culture/music/customs etc

mutt
25th Nov 2004, 10:09
Bear in mind that Saudi Arabia is a huge country, you will therefore have to be more specific about which part you are thinking about.

Mutt.

Commuting through that airport in a couple of hours, its not a city that i like, the people are extremely different to those found in Jeddah or Dammam.

Apart from that, i dont know enough about the city or situation to offer valid advice.... sorry.

As for Arabic music, in this part of the world its tribal, it certainly isnt the modern lebanese style thats shown on MTV!
Customs, Culture and history used to play a large part in many expats lives, but with the present security situation the police are actually stopping expats from camping or touring the country. Gone are the days of visiting/camping in Medain Saleh or following the Hejaz railway :(

Mutt.

Semaphore Sam
25th Nov 2004, 20:50
7gcbc:
I concur with all Mutt says...Riyadh should be considered less-than-safe for a Westerner, but, then, one never knows (which is the point).The East & West coasts seem safer, but at all costs avoid the Al Gassim area.

That said, I find things much more interesting in certain ways...the Saudis are much freer about talking about ..."the Situation". Newspapers have become much more open, as Western (US, specifically) papers have become more 'circumspect' in what they report. The area is becoming freer, and, consequently, possibly more dangerous. Interesting Times; less boring than before. (Just be ready to Duck!).
Sam

fourplay
26th Nov 2004, 04:38
Mate,

I lived in Jeddah a few years ago and made many local friends and had one of the best times of my life.
Helps if you have an interest in Islam, the culture and food.
Thought not a requirement to find it an interesting place.

I would not like to be based anywhere other than the coast,
Preferably Jeddah.
You now need to be mindful of your own personal security at all times, More so for Americans.

Given todays conditions I personally would still return.
I currently have ex-pat friends there and am still up to date with what is happening.
Please be aware that what you are seeing on the AU, US, UK news is a very bias view of the Middle east, try watching AU SBS.

I wish you well with your decision.

Belowclouds
26th Nov 2004, 12:05
What does it mean-to be awared of personas security? Is it too dangerous there? Lot of rebels on the streets, trying to capture you? Lot of bombs,blusting now and there? What are the living conditions for expat pilots? I heard they live in special zones behind barbed wire and gunners. I ask because I've got very attractive invitation from Agency to work in Saudi Arabia and I'm trying to sort the information out. I was there lot of times 10 years ago. That time it was a wonderful place, but lot of changes has been taken since that, the whole world is not the same as it used to be. I will appreciate any ifo about living and operational conditions for expat pilot.

7gcbc
27th Nov 2004, 01:35
Belowclouds,

well from the responses I have had so far, and also the private messages, the overall opnion is not good. In my case I would be going for the money and not for the experience (It's not a flying job per se), so I have to consider the pain of being away from my young family also, if i were single and fancy free, then I'd consider it more seriously, as the prospective contract is not due to start 1st QTR 2005, I'll have a look elsewhere first, and then Saud will be a last resort - don't worry , the employer won't look in here so i can keep the door ajar on this.

have a look at the Saudi security report on the UK Foreign Office site, Ryiadh seems to be highest on security issues.

www.fco.gov.uk

Fourplay, SBS and ABC are the only channels i watch, the rest are tripe.... :D

cheers
7gcbc