PDA

View Full Version : Business Objects

Onan the Clumsy
25th Nov 2004, 02:49
Out of interest, does anyone...anyone out there in the real world work with Business Objects?

It's my latest gig. :}

Evo
25th Nov 2004, 04:47
Depends what you mean by "Business Objects" - but, probably yes :)

under_exposed
25th Nov 2004, 08:31
Used it on a project a couple of years ago, thought it was a waste of space.

Tonkatoy
26th Nov 2004, 13:48
I'm involved with a BO project, but don't ask me too much about it, I'm a network transport bod :(

Onan the Clumsy
26th Jan 2005, 00:41
This looks like I never returned to this thread. How rude of me. I hope you'll accept my apologies.

Business Objects is a reporting tool that sits over your current database and allows your users to create and store reports of varying complexity.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

:ugh:

Oh what bastards those marketing folks are.

I'm two months into it now and have a pretty good grasp of it - at least I think I do. Coming from a mainframe background, I just can't help but ask "Why don't you include the reporting functions in your application?"

Will the users use it?

I doubt it. I think they'll get report creators to build the reports for them.

under_exposed
26th Jan 2005, 08:04
I doubt it. I think they'll get report creators to build the reports for them.
Yep, that what happend on our project. How often has the BCA crashed?

???pax
26th Jan 2005, 11:56
Was involved with a Biz Object project a couple years ago.

On the whole it's a waste of time and a ball-ache to integrate into. We ended up implemeting the majority of the reporting functionality in session EJB's and at the same time gave the punters precisely what they wanted and identified use cases that had not previously been considered.

Like anything else in IT, when another component is introduced to a system the likely case is that problems arise.