PDA

View Full Version : Wheels up landing in Rockhampton

notmyC150v2
24th Nov 2004, 22:11
Anyone know any details about the wheels up landing in Rockhampton??

Edited because I was talking as I was typonjkg

notmyC150v2
24th Nov 2004, 22:32
Sorry, a bit more info would probably have been helpful. This is from the Courier Mail.

Pair unhurt in plane crash-landing

25nov04
TWO men had a lucky escape after the freight plane they were in crash-landed in central Queensland early today.

Police said the pilot of the Palair Express aircraft reported problems with is landing gear as it was coming into land at Rockhampton airport around 3am.

Emergency personnel were on standby as the Fairchild twin-engined turboprop Metroliner aircraft touched down and its wheels collapsed, slewing it onto a grassy verge and damaging its left wing and engine.

The pilot and his co-pilot were not injured but will be interviewed by officers from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau today, police said.

Mr.Buzzy
24th Nov 2004, 23:08
no injuries....great!..... Now who said carrying alternate fuel for a single runway aerodrome was being anal?

Uncommon Sense
25th Nov 2004, 02:16
This wouldn't be the same PelAir Metro that had a gear problem the day before in Brisbane would it?

Capn Bloggs
25th Nov 2004, 04:29

No it's not.

Blastoid
25th Nov 2004, 04:30
US,

I believe it is

lazyeye
25th Nov 2004, 07:35
Mr Buzzy,
What is wrong with 04/22 at Rockhampton? What if both runways are unavailable?

Mr.Buzzy
25th Nov 2004, 07:50
Lazyeye, 737..........

Binoculars
25th Nov 2004, 12:43
Is it being genuinely suggested that in a fuel critical situation a 737would have problems landing on the cross strip in RK???

The Bullwinkle
25th Nov 2004, 23:23
I think Mr Buzzy has a point. All he is saying is that aircraft can have accidents such as this, and if this had happened at an aerodrome where there was only one suitable runway, then it is sensible to provide for an alternate.

I believe that the point he is making is that this situation can occur, and it is better to be prepared.

Mr.Buzzy
25th Nov 2004, 23:31
Ta Mr.Bullwinkle:ok:

lazyeye
25th Nov 2004, 23:44
Mr Buzzy,
I retract my statement even I can see that a 737 may have troubles pulling up with limited runway!

Fris B. Fairing
26th Nov 2004, 05:25
Looks like it is going to be left to this non-pilot to leap to the defence of the Metro pilot. This was evidently a partial u/c collapse and not a wheels up landing as implied by the subject.

commander adama
26th Nov 2004, 06:30
lazyeye

Once again ramblings from someone who has no idea. The cross runway when not being used by the Singaporean Airforce is 1645m. Piece of cake. Now I will draw a comparison with Hamo Island. It is 1760m long Get it now? Mind you 737 and 767's have previously operated into Hamo.

Sperm Bank
26th Nov 2004, 07:12
23 metros. If you fly to single rwy destinations and do not carry some sort of contingency fuel or have some other plan up your sleeve............You are really asking for trouble one day. Dare I say it, that type of thinking is not safe or logical.

Capn Bloggs
26th Nov 2004, 09:14
Commander,

No slope guidance and a PCN of 12. Not a good choice unless it was an emergency. Given MKY is just up the road, there would be NO excuse for putting a 73 on 04.

Baron Captain ?
26th Nov 2004, 10:47
It's better to shut up and let people think you are a fool ... rather than opening your mouth and proving it!!

You're out of here for a few days - and be thankful it's not permament!!!

:mad: :mad:

Woomera

Capn Bloggs
26th Nov 2004, 11:38
Baron,

So I guess you weren't a Boy Scout...

Do you have house insurance? What for?

spleener
26th Nov 2004, 11:50
Baron Captain.
Well that just about says it all.

Jamair
26th Nov 2004, 11:53
:mad: Warning: Suspect "Baron Captain" = "Winstun" = 16 year-old pimple faced tugger with serious self image issues.

or not:p

Next Generation
26th Nov 2004, 12:01
How often in your flying career have you got to your destination with the runway being closed due to a mishap?????......As for me never!!!!!!!!!!.....Maybe one day it will?....But until it happens who gives a ****!!!!....

So by that reasoning, how often have you had an engine fail at V1, or fail at all for that matter?

Well, we won't practice it in the sim every six months, instead, we won't give a **** until it happens.

I can't believe w@nkers like you even make it in this industry.

Baron Captain:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: What a tosser.

NG

spleener
26th Nov 2004, 12:06
Apologies to all real Baron Captains...

Baron Captain ?
26th Nov 2004, 22:28
I say this again!!

To all the WOOD-DUCKS!!! out there

I am surprised that you tossers tanker fuel everywhere incase of the runway being blocked....

I'm surprised you have made it in the industry as its just not commercial sense to tanker fuel.....

Whats wrong with say using enroute aerodromes as back-ups..??

i.e.... If lets say a Metro or a baron was flying from Brissy to Rocky, then whats wrong with stopping in at HBA,BUD,GLA etc etc
Without carrying anymore fuel than already required.... If it happens whilst enroute then this works ok, but if it happens to be blocked on your final approach to land, then its as rare as rocking horse **** as rare as getting a failure at V1...
Or similar to going past ya PNR.....

So again I say calling all WOOD-DUCKS:{

Whats this got to do with a Metro incident at Rockhampton post anyway..... If you wanna talk about tankering fuel, then start another Post..:\ :ugh: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

As for practising V1 cuts in the simulator every 6 months.. Well I never mentioned anything about this...But I happen to agree that it is a good idea!..But again its getting off the subject of this post...

Capn Bloggs:- I don't have house insurance...

JAMAIR:- And maybe I am a pimple faced wally that is 16...... At least I'm getting more sex than you!!!...

commander adama
26th Nov 2004, 22:52
Yes Baron

But we are talking heavy metal here. NOt your little clapped out bugsmasha. NOt as many options for a 737 or 717. So you keep living life on the edge in ya little buzzbox you big guy you.

Next Generation
27th Nov 2004, 00:13
I didn't realise that Flightsim98 had a Baron!!!!!!!!!!:D

i.e.... If lets say a Metro or a baron was flying from Brissy to Rocky, then whats wrong with stopping in at HBA,BUD,GLA etc etc

But let's assume that you are a big boy now, and you have moved up on your Flightsim to a B-737.

Flight time from Brisbane to Rockhampton, approx. 48 mins.
Another aircraft has had a wheels-up landing at Rockhampton 15 mins. prior to your arrival.
Can't land at Gladstone, Hervey Bay or Bundaberg.

Without carrying anymore fuel than already required.... If it happens whilst enroute then this works ok, but if it happens to be blocked on your final approach to land, then its as rare as rocking horse ****

You are only carrying sufficient fuel to get to Rocky, which is now 15 mins. away. Can't go back to Brisbane because you now need over half an hours fuel to get there. The aircraft with the wheels-up didn't occur as your aircraft was on final approach, it happened whilst you are enroute, but you are now screwed.

I'm surprised you have made it in the industry as its just not commercial sense to tanker fuel.....

Using this example, carrying an extra 1600 kg of fuel which might increase the overall fuel burn by 50 kg/hr for a 48 minute flight (approx. extra cost $30.00) makes more commercial sense than suffering a hull loss because you ran out of fuel.

I'm not really sure why I am spending so much time explaining this to a dip**** like Baron Wannabe, but maybe some good will come from this.

NG

spleener
27th Nov 2004, 02:14
Now now Commander Baron, you know that sex with yourself cannot be logged as P1 time! Nor with a wood duck.
As for the rest of your wisdom, I'll keep it in mind next time I'm carrying 400+ souls.

Something about being a lad in bagdad when you were a tad in dad's bag springs to mind:cool:

Toodogs
27th Nov 2004, 02:29
A little birdie told me that the engines were stopped and feathered on short final. Is this copy book or SOP?

Capt Fathom
27th Nov 2004, 03:28
Can birdies see in the dark?

swh
27th Nov 2004, 05:27
Capt Fathom,

Most of the metros I have been in had FDR and CVR.

:ok:

Tagneah
27th Nov 2004, 05:46
Baron Captain,

Maybe you should go and check this out:

NAC Part 4 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=153670)

8 8th's Blue
27th Nov 2004, 08:56
I thought we carried a fixed reserve to help us survive with these extremely rare unplanned for situations, to be used as a last resort??

PS Congrat\'s to the metro crew involved,everyone walked away and the A/C didn\'t look that bent all things considered from the news footage

teletubby
27th Nov 2004, 09:21
Thats right.:hmm: 30 mins at the holding rate gives more options than you can poke a stick at surely.

Capt Claret
28th Nov 2004, 03:52
8 8th's Blue

The closest rwy to DN that is long and wide enough for a 146 is Bathurst Island @ 43nm. However it's PCN is 8 with an 84psi tyre limit and the aircraft has an ACN in the region of 20ish with 165psi tyres.

So in an emergency, sure one can land but the paper work will be a killer as will tea and bikkies @ HO.

The closest suitable aerodrome to Darwin is Tindal. 154nm about 1250 kg fuel burn. Fixed reserve for a 300 series 146 is 950 kg.

Relying on FR for "these extremely rare unplanned for situations, to be used as a last resort" might work in light aircraft, or on the east coast where generally suitable aerodromes are in abundance but it doesn't work in heavier aircraft or remote Orstaylya.

8 8th's Blue
29th Nov 2004, 07:33
CC,
Point taken, becomes more a case of the best of a bad situation I guess. Might be worth while for operaters in that situation to carry the extra 300 kg's of fuel on sectors into DN maybe, While there are obvious economic considerations in doing this to begin with, one can only assume that companies that find themselves facing such possibilties would have carried out some form of risk assessment and decided on the best course of action to suit them, including approved alternates. As a charter pilot flying "lighties" it certainly is food for thought.

88B

Capt Claret
29th Nov 2004, 13:24
The risk assessment is usually in the form of an Ops Manual policy on fuel tankering, and a statement somewhere that the Captain is expected to make sound command decisions.

Most heavy flyers on this thread hve shown their command hand by suggesting that min fuel isn't always the best policy.

Mr.Buzzy
29th Nov 2004, 21:14
Im with you Clarrie.
As for the "marvellous" remarks... I believe in the context of the discussion, anything weighing more than the light twins and metroliners aforementioned could be considered heavy.........

Capt Claret
30th Nov 2004, 21:32
Thanks Marv for the constructive input.

I will defer to your obvious superiority, and admit that you've gto a bigger d!ck than me. :hmm:

Night Watch
2nd Dec 2004, 03:44
23 Metros In a Row When i read your post I was extremely surprised that this would ever happen....
Same owl leads me to believe that failure was actually a result of people f*cking with what they should not......simulating hydraulic failure and manually extending gear for the purpose of "training".
Even though it has been a long time since i worked for that company, I racked my brain and could not remember any training situation where this occurred, other than the initial endorsement (which is done during the day, at altitude). So I decided to call my little Birdie who still works for the company..... turns out that the Chief Pilot (who would be in the top 5 highest Metro time pilots in Oz) was conducting a training flight, however no hydraulic failure was EVER simulated. This aircraft did have some previous undercarriage problems, and this obviously contributed to one of the mains not locking down.

Both crew members did a text book job, and should be congratulated for safe way they executed a potentially very hazardous landing, and not defamed with unreliable birdies!