PDA

View Full Version : Say No to 0870

HughMartin
24th Nov 2004, 21:27
Have you ever had to phone your gas company because there has been a mistake on your bill and you have been kept waiting in a telephone queue, being told every few seconds how important your call is to them? Its not surprising your call is important as they are probably making money out of your telephone call.

I for one, am fed up with UK companies taking us for a ride by moving over to so called "National Rate" or "Lo call" telephone numbers. These are, by all but name, Premium Rate numbers. These are some of the most expensive calls you can make and the companies which have them make money out of the length of time we are kept waiting in long telephone queuing systems. If you are on a free call plan with your provider, it probably won't include these numbers.

I even have to use a "National Rate" number to phone my local airport.

At last, a web site has been set up to fight against these "rip off" merchants. It provides normal numbers, and sometimes even freephone numbers, for these banks, utility, and other companies which try and make money out of the necessity of you having to phone their so called customer service departments.

Check it out on

http://www.SayNoTo0870.co.uk

Memetic
24th Nov 2004, 23:31
Handy for mobile users too as those "National rate" numbers do not usually count as a "free" bundled call as they are non geographic.