PDA

View Full Version : Any Chance?

nunos
24th Nov 2004, 18:49
My friend is just finished his ATPL`s and was about to start his CPL when he was diagnoised with a possible grounding, health problem, (nothing, that would keep him from working on the ground!) Will his atpl exams help him to get into the engineering side of things? He is on the wrong side of 40, will this be a factor? as it sure is in the flight crew end. If it is possible,how should he begin?
Thanks in advance

Peking Peeker
24th Nov 2004, 21:38
ATPL or CPL etc gives you no licence cover in engineering but may get you a start as a technician. To become licensed you will need to sit the relevant exams as there are no exemptions for pilot licenses. Being the wrong side of forty may not be such a problem as eng have to work till 65 you know !!

Check out the CAA website for engineer licensing. Biggest barrier to getting a job in engineering will be the lack of experience.

Good luck

nunos
24th Nov 2004, 21:54
Any more info on how he would start looking for a job? must you do the exams first, before applying for jobs or do you need a job first and then do the paperwork stuff? Are the exams of a similar style to the ATPL`s, ie 14 subjects, pass mark of 75% required and will having the atpl`s give "credit" towards the engineering exams. Oh and one last thing, whats the pay like incase I may want to give up my RHS on the jetstream?????? NOT!!!!!!!
Thanks again!

codpiece face
25th Nov 2004, 12:33
More and more companies these days are taking adult trainees, giving them a very short course, such as night school and then shoving them on the hangar floor which is where you really learn the trade.

They usually ask for some sort of engineering background, it is possible to go to college and sit your exams without ever having worked in the real world but these licences cannot be used until a level of hands on experience has been achieved.

Either way it is more about getting a break and a foot in the door somewhere, the wages are also not great whilst training but an unlicensed mechanic can earn anything between £15-35K a year and a licensed and approved tech can earn between £30-50K a year.

Hope this helps

nunos
25th Nov 2004, 22:59
Thanks Codpiece face, I will pass this info on.....Cheers!

TURIN
29th Nov 2004, 19:30
35K FOR AN UNLICENSED MECH!!!!

WHERE??

I'm packin in this licensed engineer malarky if I can get more money somewhere else without the responsibility. :mad:

(Can open, worms all over the place......):p