PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Equipment

PrecisionLandings
24th Nov 2004, 18:23
Hi i know that bristol ground school provide a certain range of equipment for study. Can anybody advise me on other pieces of equipment i may need to purchase.

butpau
24th Nov 2004, 18:57
PrecisionLandings

Am with Bristol too. The package includes almost everything you need except CRP5 and (electronic) caculator - cant believe were still expected to use Ritght Bro'thers technology to caculate stuff. They couldnt even spell for gods sake - they put a W in front!
I HATE SLIDE RULES.

Would also highly recommend that you subscribe to the JAR Question Bank which is only 20 quid, It gives you access to typical questions you can expect during the exam.

Finally, and I dont think Bristol offer it, but I seriously recommend a brain although looking at some of the posts from so called pilots on the Roumer forum, it would appear to be optional. PM me if you need further details.

PrecisionLandings
25th Nov 2004, 18:48
Thanks for you help mate

no sponsor
25th Nov 2004, 18:58
Steer clear of the question bank until you have completed the 14 frames. In the weeks leading up to the brush-up then start going through the on-line question bank.

You should aim to understand the basics before doing anything else.

A school geometry set will come in handy (for drawing the polar stereo charts), as will a flight protractor. Baz will teach you how to use the CRP-5, but if you know it back to front before the course, then it will help you.

For the brush up take lots of spare paper for note taking, and a couple of big A4 binders to fit in all the feedback papers. Book your accomodation at Cheddar well in advance, particuarly in the spring/summer as lots of tourists take residence in the local B&Bs.

I would recommend the Oxford Met CD to get you through the Met exam with minimal hassle.

oxford blue
25th Nov 2004, 19:58
People like you, Precision Landings, waste so much of the time of generous goodhearted contributors to this forum because you're too sodding idle to use the search function - or even to scroll back a couple of days.

This subject was done to death on this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150662) forum less than a week ago.

Can't you bloody well read?

Why should we waste our time helping you when it's so clear from your own post that you're prepared to ride on the backs of others?

Do try a bit harder to help yourself and be a bit less selfish in future.

UnderneathTheRadar
25th Nov 2004, 21:44
Oxford Blue,

Things must be tough up your way if your employers are forcing you to read and respond to every new thread on this forum.

What an unnecessary load of baldertwaddle. Does your flying/instructing technique extend to 'I showed you how to do that last week, stop asking questions.'?

Hmmm, wonder were I won't be doing my flying training?????

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Precision landings,

Fair post - I'm wondering the same things (am in exactly the same position). The other thread referred to ended being a debate on what type of pencils you needed if I recall correctly and dealt with ALL the stuff needed for flying etc - not just for the ATPL theory which I think you meant.

UTR.

quifflegend
26th Nov 2004, 01:01
Oxford blue....What is the point, why shoot someone down in flames when a simple question needs a simple reply. everyone makes mistakes, so a simple link to the thread would have been better than the garbage you just sprouted.

oxford blue
26th Nov 2004, 07:53
Hey, chill out and stick to the facts.

My employers do not encourage me to reply to these forums. Quite the reverse, in fact.

I always make it very clear that I am not a spokesman for OAT and I don't discuss OAT policy. Any views you see here are mine.

However, I do have views on educational policy generally. I think and hope that my students find me helpful, friendly, and approachable. I certainly try to be.

But when I think that students ought to already know something, or know where to find it, I suggest that they look it up for themselves first. This is intentional.

If they have genuinely tried and still can't find it, then I tell them and generally try to help as much as possible.

At any educational establishment - school, university, or even FTO - education is more than a sausage machine to fill students with facts. It should also teach them how to look.

There is a proverb that goes something like: "If you give a man a fish, you feed him for one day. But if you show him how to catch fish, you feed him for the rest of his life." I believe in that.

If I were a Flight Operations Manager interviewing new pilots for a job (and I have been in the past) my questions would try to find out whether they were the sort of people who can read instructions, show initiative and sort things out for themselves, or whether they needed to be spoon-fed the whole time. And I would employ the first type and reject the second type.

I would also refer you to the sticky at the top of this very forum.

"Archive Reference Threads - read this before you post a question!"

and if I came across as a bit grumpy, I'm sorry. But the point i'm trying to make is a serious one.

willby
26th Nov 2004, 09:57
Oxford Blue , a lot of what you say is undoubtedly true. However, in the case of Precision Landings you were unecessarily harsh. If you had checked his profile you would have seen that he only registered on Nov. 10th and from my own experience it takes quite a while browsing these forums before getting up to speed.
A response like yours to a post would probably deter someone from posting again in a hurry and after all, surely the Wannabee forum is all about helping/encouraging newcomers ; a point that has been sadly lacking in alot of recent contributions on this forum.
Willby

butpau
26th Nov 2004, 16:52
No Sponsor makes a good point about the data bank. Get the work done before attempting any mock exams.

Oxford Blue - if this is your idea of a support model then no wonder a load of your best ground instructors have jumped ship!.

PrecisionLandings
26th Nov 2004, 17:48
Thanks for all your help guys greatly appreciate it.

Oxford Blue I think if you know someone you could make an assessment such as you have done above.

Obviously you dont know me and need to attend some sort of anger management course. As i stated in my question i all ready know the equipment that is given to the students. The folders and Interactive software but was wondering if other additional equipment was required e.g. Crp-5 computer.

It may be my fault for not being specific enough but every one else got the general jist of the question and have been very helpful.