PDA

View Full Version : Email Advice ??

SPIT
24th Nov 2004, 17:38
Hi
I was on some time ago about my e-mail and I was informed that the trouble I was getting was the dreaded SPAM.
As I have Two addresses, one with Wannadoo (which is NOT affected) and One with Freeserve (Outlook Express) which is well and truly U/S due to SPAM. HOW can I delete OE completely and if I can will this affect my other email??:mad: :mad: :mad:

spannersatcx
24th Nov 2004, 18:36
If you just want to get rid of the freeserve mail box from OE you can just delete the account. Go to Tools then Accounts then select the freeserve acount then select delete, that will remove the freeserve account from OE.

Oracle
20th Dec 2004, 08:52
Hi,
You can remove outlook express completely my using the CONTROL PANEL/ADD REMOVE PROGRAMMES/ Outlook Express selection and deleting the whole thing in toto.
You will lose all saved items on OE, so it might be wise to save any essential messages or address books beforehand.

Outlook express is popular - but is the signle largest target for viruses and such nasties. They target OE because it allows them to send copies of themselves to everyone in your address book - often with dial-up permission if you have it selected to automatic for OE..

Once removed and rebooted, you can always re-install Outlook Express again and start over, but you are really better off using a third-party browser service like hotmail/yahoo/wanadoo to have them scan your email for viruses etc BEFORE you receive/open them.

Always better to keep one email account for your personal use with close friends/family etc and use another - like a HOTMAIL freebie box for commercial registrations etc - as this will then handle the spam more easily and won't screw up your personal mail so. Yahoo is the best and quickest free box and if you want better, faster service without ads or pop-ups - sign up for their cheapest paid service - which is excellent and automatically diverts suspected SPAM into a separate BULK folder for you to check through.

I would also recommend that you go into the CONNECTIONS tab of your Internet Explorer TOOLS/OPTIONS mennu and select the NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION button. Then create a short-cut to your desktop for the phone line/modem connection. This way only YOU control the outward dialling and can also NOT show or remember your password to control access to your account by anyone else.

Of course, Anti-virus software (regularly updated) is a MUST these days. Also I recommend ADAWARE from LAVASOFT (most of the best freeware can be downloaded from www.zdnet.com) for regular scanning for ad spyware. There are many SPYWARE programmes too that are excellent - SPYBOT etc - it's amazing how much stuff nasty people will plant on your unsuspecting computer! Also whatever firewall you wish to install. Both Norton's and Mcafee's are excellent - failing that ensure that your outward connection dial-up has the firewall protection set to ON. XP SP2 ensures this, if yoiu have it, otherwise go to a freebie line Zone Alarm (zdnet again for freeware).

Hope this helps you with your OE problem!

Merry Christmas!

:cool: