PDA

View Full Version : Apple and Spyware

touch&go
24th Nov 2004, 17:01
If I moved over to an Apple Imac machine, and this does do everything I want from a computer, would I be out of the spyware rat race that PC users are in?

Thanks.

zed3
25th Nov 2004, 00:54
I moved over to an Apple iBookG4 about six weeks ago as I was fed up with windows XP on my Sony Vaio . No regrets . Popup control can be switched on or off and the .Mac package (extra) among other things gives Virex an anti-virus based on McAfee . Go to an Apple store and try . Very very pleased - looks great too!

Evo
25th Nov 2004, 04:42
Not completely (http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=195695) - but you're far better off than with a PC.

However, while OS X is naturally more secure than Windows XP, it's not going to be perfect and the typical Mac user doesn't have that sense of paranoia that any competent PC user develops. I'd guess they're probably more vulnerable when someone does figure out how to write a nasty.

I've also switched to a iMac (G5, 2Gig Ram, Wireless everything) and it's fantastic. A couple of early niggles with Bluetooth and especially WEP, which has been fixed by a recent sofware update, but apart from that... :ok:

I still run an XP/Pro box for miscellaneous stuff that isn't available on the Mac, but it's hardly used :)

PPRuNe Towers
25th Nov 2004, 13:55
Mac users aren't shy - ask Richard:}

Why not get out into the wider internet and look to see if you can find incidences of Mac users getting a virus, worm or trojan in the wild? Try the same searches for spyware and adware then make your own mind up.

For the sake of argument assume we delete every problem Mac users get to make our operating system seem better. Therefore all Mac forums outside our control should give an untainted view of what we face. This is because, away from the madding PC crowd, the Brand X folks are actually ruthlessy critical.

Regards
rob

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th Nov 2004, 14:15
Yes Rob.

I do have one question for you though. Since, as you say, MACers do not have any problems, why are there so many that read this forum on a regular bases?

Is it to assure themselves they made the right choice, going with a MAC? :ugh:

Richard

redsnail
25th Nov 2004, 20:25
For a laugh? :D

My FRED is useful as a simulator is useful. You got lots of failures you shouldn't normally get so that keeps the noodle ticking over.

For pure simplicity of operation, the cute iBook.
It just works. Even on the ultra rare times it doesn't, it sorts itself out with a push of a button.
Pure genius.

Yep, the Windoze platform is great if you like pulling them apart or building them for a laugh. If you just want the damn thing to work then (sorry Rich) then it's the mac every time.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Nov 2004, 03:28
No need to apologize to me redsnail,

My "Windoze platform" always works. No problems of any kind. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

PPRuNe Towers
27th Nov 2004, 13:08
Regretably quite a few of us still have to work with Wintel in our professions. Two laptops on my aircraft need looking after so I have to keep a wary eye on the latest blights in Redmond World.

The significant point is which OS we use when it is a matter of choice between two systems side by side. Not a purchasing decision but 2 paid for and fully functioning computers sitting next to each other.

Each to their own.

Regards
Rob