PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL issue?

south coast
24th Nov 2004, 14:50
Hi there...

I wonder if someone could explain how this concept works to me.

If you have a fATPL, and want to unfreeze it, how does one do it?

From what I have read in the LASORS, it states that you must meet all the hour requirements, 1500TT etc etc, have passed a ATPL skills test, have a MCC or exemption, have a Multi Pilot Type Rating and finally demonstrate that you can fly as PIC in a Multi Pilot Aircraft.

How does one go about this without having an airline job?
For example, flying for an outfit that does not operate M.P.A.

I have the fATPL, I meet all the hour requirements(have over 500 hours on Beech 1900 which is a FAR/JAR 23 aircraft which is required according to LASORS), have a UK CAA MCC exemption certificate and have the correct breakdown of hours required(night, IFR etc tetc)

If I go and pay for an ATR rating, obviously it would be a P2 rating initially, and on that basis I guess I would not fulfill the part of acting as PIC of a Multi Pilot Aircraft, so...

How do you upgrade to PIC of the M.P.A if you need to have an unfrozen ATPL to act as PIC of a M.P.A?

In short, how does someone unfreeze their ATPL from a private point of view (not being employed by a company that is operating large aircraft)

As in the USA, you meet the hour requirements, you pass the exam and you then book a test in a Baron and off you go...

JAA life is complex?

redbar1
24th Nov 2004, 15:38
South Coast,

Your assumptions are right. You need to perform the SkillTest as PIC on an MPA. It is expensive to get your ATP Licence issued. :(

Most let their employer pay for it.

Re comments on FAA and JAA: At least, whenever we see a JAA ATPL, we know the guy didn't get it in a "Cessna 100-series" or other completely irrelevant type/class of a/c :}

cheers, and good luck,
Redbar1

Farrell
24th Nov 2004, 16:06
Thanks redbar.....really appreciate that! :ok: