PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair to operate Italian domestic routes?

brabazon
24th Nov 2004, 11:57
In their latest Press Release Ryanair say that they may start operating domestic routes in Italy following the collapse of Volare:

News Release
RYANAIR TO EXPAND ROUTES IN ITALY

AND OFFERS FREE FLIGHTS TO STRANDED VOLARE PASSENGERS

Ryanair, Europe’s No.1 low fares airline today (24th Nov 2004) announced expansion plans in the Italian market to assist the many hundreds of thousands of passengers disrupted as a result of the collapse of Volare on Friday evening last.

Ryanair’s Deputy Chief Executive, Michael Cawley unveiled these plans at a press conference in Milan today which comprise:

1. Ryanair announced a new twice daily service from Paris (Beauvais) to Venice (Treviso) which is Ryanair’s 65th international route to and from Italy and means that Ryanair now flies on nine of the eleven international routes previously flown by Volare from Italy to other EU destinations. Ryanair is operating most of these routes with greater frequency and lower fares than those sold by Volare.

Volare Routes Ryanair Routes
Milan - Barcelona Milan (Bergamo)-Barcelona (Girona)
Milan - Paris Milan (Bergamo)-Paris (Beauvais)
Milan - Prague No Service
Milan - Valencia Milan (Bergamo)-Valencia
Rome - Barcelona Rome (Ciampino)-Barcelona (Girona)
Rome - Paris Rome (Ciampino)-Paris (Beauvais)
Rome - Valencia Rome (Ciampino)-Valencia
Venice - Barcelona Venice (Treviso)-Barcelona (Girona)
Venice - Madrid No Service
Venice - Paris* Venice (Treviso)-Paris (Beauvais)
Bologna - Paris Venice (Treviso)-Paris (Beauvais)
*New route begins 31.03.04

Ryanair has undertaken to offer free flights* to all passengers, booked to travel Volare, on any one of these routes, during the period from 1st December to 17th March next (excluding the peak Christmas period of 22nd Dec to 4th Jan - when many of Ryanair’s flights are already sold out). Stranded Volare passengers can make a booking on these routes, from today (24th Nov 04) until midnight 2nd Dec 04, subject to availability by accessing Ryanair’s website at www.ryanair.com, and entering a member mode by keying in their Volare web booking confirmation. Passengers will be offered a fare of €0 and will only be obliged to pay Government taxes and airport charges for each of the relevant routes. There are a total of 400,000 seats available on these routes, and all bookings of these free flights will be on a first come first served basis and are subject to seat availability.

*Free flight = € zero fare but the passenger pays any relevant Government taxes and airport charges.

3. Ryanair has invited all of the Italian airports affected by the collapse of Volare to meetings in Milan on Wednesday and Thursday of this week to discuss the possibility of Ryanair offering low fare domestic flights within Italy on those routes that were previously operated by Volare. Ryanair has undertaken that any passengers who have lost out as a result of the Volare collapse on domestic routes would be offered a similar period of free fares on any domestic routes subsequently launched by Ryanair in Italy.

Announcing details of this rescue package for stranded Volare passengers in Milan today, Ryanair’s Deputy Chief Executive, Michael Cawley said:

“Even before the collapse of Volare, Ryanair was already Italy’s second largest and lowest fares airline. Our comprehensive network of international routes to and from Italy with the addition of this new Venice-Paris service means that we can offer all international passengers stranded by Volare a flight on a similar international route. Our offer of free flights (subject only to Government taxes and airport charges) will mean that these passengers will have the opportunity of travelling on their chosen route without losing the vast majority of the air fare paid to Volare, and we look forward to reuniting friends and families that may have been stranded by the unfortunate but inevitable demise of Volare”.

“Clearly a lot of Italian airports have lost significant traffic volumes as a result of Volare’s collapse and we have invited all of these airports to meetings in Milan this week to see if we can help them to launch low fare domestic and international routes, to make up for the traffic they have lost as a result of Volare’s collapse. Ryanair already flies to almost all of the airports in Italy previously served by Volare and we expect to announce further route expansion to and from these airports in the not too distant future subject to the successful conclusion of satisfactory agreements with these airports”

“The collapse of Volare last week is the second significant collapse (V-Bird was the first) in the European low fares sector this Winter. Ryanair was the first to predict that there would be a bloodbath this Winter which would result in the collapse of loss making low fare airlines. With intense competition all over Europe and high oil prices, only the strongest low fares airlines will survive Volare will not be the last. Many other airlines talk about low fares, but none can match Ryanair’s low fares, our punctuality or our customer service. We have enjoyed enormous growth in the Italian market over the past three years and we expect that Ryanair’s pro-passenger response to the collapse of Volare will enable us to continue to grow and expand in the Italian market”.

Ryanair rescues volare passengers. Click here for more information

VIKING9
24th Nov 2004, 12:50
Bit premature isn't it ? Volare could well be flying again soon if things pan out as they plan.

http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/contrib/owen/smoke.gif

anguspm
24th Nov 2004, 14:06
Looks like a great move by Ryanair. Get in early and put in place arrangements that would force any future version of Volare to look for different markets. Additionaly any entrepenuer looking to start up a new venture in the void left by the Volare would think twice before taking on an established organisation with brand recognition.

RAT 5
24th Nov 2004, 15:33
This seems a WIN WIN for many people. It gives RYR somewhere to put their new shiny toys; gives AZ another kick where it hurts and where Brussels should have given it years ago; perhaps puts Beauvais, which was rumoured to be a future RYR base, more on the map. I presume the TSF- Beauvais route will be a W pattern, as neither is yet a base?
National Jets Italia (ex-FCO) should have styled itself as a loco, instead of the disasterous BA franchise. Its overall management stratergy, wrong product, wrong place, wrong time, caused its inevitable demise. Air One seems quiet. Perhaps RYR can get in with its dynamism and shake up the latinos. Shall we see Rome - Milan, the italian domestic Blue Ribbon troute?

Baron rouge
24th Nov 2004, 16:43
I don't think the likes of AIRONE, MERIDIANA, and the new AZ low cost are going to leave RYANAIR and EASY JET position on these domestic routes, but who knows.
Anyway the move by RYANAIR was very quick, and VOLARE license have now been suspended for one month... There is no way they can recover from that.

Cyrano
25th Nov 2004, 07:22
Ummm... as I read it, Ryanair is only actually launching one new route (Beauvais-Treviso). All the others listed are existing services. So it's not as though they're deploying lots of new capacity in the Italian market.

The free-fares-pay-only-taxes offer is a clever way of getting some publicity at minimal cost. Unless they have access to Volare's reservation system, though, they can't know what is a valid designator for an outstanding Volare reservation and what isn't ;) - so I notice that even entering "ABCDEF" as a designator gets you into the "member mode".

brabazon
25th Nov 2004, 08:19
Cyrano

Absolutely, another case of Ryanair's spin machine going into overdrive, but the possibility of them starting to operate domestic services on the continent I think is new. Ryanair don't generally do domestics - exceptions as far as I know are Stansted - Prestwick/Newquay/Blackpool/City of Derry and Bournemouth-Prestwick. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cyrano
25th Nov 2004, 10:45
Brabazon:

Frankly I didn't realise the machine had any other gears! :) But you're quite right - the UK is Ryanair's only domestic playground so far, so it would be a new move for them if they launched Italian domestics. I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall for the promised meeting between the Italian airports and Ryanair (Mr Berger, I expect): likely to be of the "make me an offer I can't refuse, or watch the grass grow on your runway" variety.

Among others I could imagine a BGY-CIA service would be an interesting high-frequency route for them (a bit like DUB-STN) and could generate lots of juicy publicity about alleged AZ price-dumping (keeping the spin machine running flat out...)

iceman51
25th Nov 2004, 14:12
Cyrano:

you are right a clever way of getting some publicity at minimal cost ... simply enter 123456 if you prefer

sorry not and Ryanair (Mr Berger, I expect) actually Mr. Cawley and Mr. Sherrard (Mktg manager Italy), sometime you need top brass down here...

I don't think so BGY-CIA service would be an interesting high-frequency route for them at least until LIN-FCO is around, and furthermore it would be politically unpolite right now. There are so many other Italian routes available to them with the collapse of Volare. Think about Venice and Bari airports, they together will lose more than 800k pax ! They will get 21 new 738 toys starting form april 2005, and this birds require some apron to operate and Italy requires a lot of lift. As far as I am aware of, the first Italian domestic flight is right now scheduled for summer 2005, of course if the airports involved will make offers Ryan can't refuse.

Further info on FR's Italian possible future adventures here (http://news.airwise.com/stories/2004/11/1101328852.html) and here (http://news.airwise.com/stories/2004/11/1101293690.html)

Baron rouge
26th Nov 2004, 07:51
the best move for RYANAIR would be to be able to switch from Treviso to the more convenient Venezia Marco Polo airport at no cost for them as Volare was one of the main operator of this airport.

From there, it would be easy to operate the sicilian routes and many more.