PDA

View Full Version : England.....any good?

gingernut
23rd Nov 2004, 20:50
Walked Kinder Scout on Friday..... looked like a Christmas Card, soft snow, fantastic views of the North West, made me think about what a wonderful place England is.

Favourite other places include Watergate Bay, Newquay, Grizedale Forest, the top of Mam Tor.....Brilliant.

I've just watched crime watch....totally depressed now, 13 yr old raped, and an 86 yr old beaten up...what's going on ?

Big Tudor
23rd Nov 2004, 21:12
what's going on ?
Well, what's going on is a highly developed media system that reports ever misdemeanor directly into everybodies house, coupled with a more open culture in the UK that encourages people to report such crimes, rather than be intimidated into silence by the perpetrators of the crime.

Of course, the more cynical amongst us would argue that crime in the UK is escalating out of control, that law abiding citizens should remain behind locked doors and that the good old days were far better. The days when the Kray twins would kill somebody "cos 'e's a scroat"! :rolleyes:

con-pilot
23rd Nov 2004, 21:57
Well personally Iíve always thought England is pretty good, I like the place anyway. Thereís lots of nice folks there, and beer. Good food and beer. Nice sights and beer. They gots lots of castles and beer. Neat museums and beer. Really, really pretty ladies and beer, the more beer the more there are pretty ladies.

Did I mention that they have beer in England?

Big Tudor
23rd Nov 2004, 22:00
CON PILOT
You forgot to mention the beer. Stella Artois, Kronenbourg, Castlemaine XXXX, Budweiser, Becks. :rolleyes:

Synthetic
23rd Nov 2004, 22:02
Watergate bay - yup, drank most of it in my surfing days.

England any good?

NO

Slim20
24th Nov 2004, 08:28
Right on Big T!

We have some of the best beer in the world. All that foreign froth brewed under licence is just window dressing.

Just one (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11780) of the many threads on this very issue.........

Mine's a Wadworth 6X with a Theakston Old Peculier chaser please!

maxburner
24th Nov 2004, 08:31
England is a great place, and it will be so much safer once suicide bombers have to have identity cards. Sleep sound in your beds.

Devlin Carnet
24th Nov 2004, 08:34
The Country is going t*ts up!
Might stand a chance if somebody was actually running it.

tony draper
24th Nov 2004, 09:18
Put Drapes in charge for five years, one guarantees we would have will have a very polite very law abiding citizenry, those that are left anyway.
:E

ramsrc
24th Nov 2004, 10:22
so much safer once suicide bombers have to have identity cards ID cards might not solve every problem, but they are a step in the right direction.

Certainly better than the ludicrous situation in the UK where you can "prove" your identity with a utility bill - laughable! :mad:

angels
24th Nov 2004, 10:50
Ah! Perfidious Albion.

We are a country with many, many faults. But what country doesn't have them? I spent some eight years working away from Blighty, but always enjoyed coming back home.

Yes. Home. I was born here and my ancestoral links are here.

After the years away -- based in Hong Kong and Singapore -- there was an element of culture shock when I returned. That is surely natural.

We Brits whinge and gripe. It's the nature of the beast. I'm sure a Brit would be the first to moan that Utopia is boring. But at the end of the day, I'm happy here.

My 2p worth.

BombayDuck
24th Nov 2004, 16:13
Say what you want about your country - and your cousins.

irrespective of govt., if there were a list of countries i'd want to moe to if i ever wanted to leave home, Britain would be way up there in the list.

the problems you cite above are prevalent all around.

Big Tudor
24th Nov 2004, 16:23
Might stand a chance if somebody was actually running it.
What, and spoil thousands of years of tradition? This country would grind to a halt if anybody tried to run it properly. :ok:

Lance Murdoch
24th Nov 2004, 17:37
One can cherry pick good reasons to live in any country but on balance I would rather live in the UK than anywhere else. I think all things being equal, the only place that I would definetly emigrate to would be Canada.
I think there are problems with the UK but generally they are problems that afflict most countries in the world although thats not necessarily a reason to accept those problems here!

airship
24th Nov 2004, 18:01
There'll always be an England,
While there's a country lane.
Wherever there's a cottage small
Beside a field of grain
There'll always be an England
While there's a busy street.
Wherever there's a turning wheel
A million marching feet.

Red, white and blue
What does it mean to you?
Surely you're proud
Shout it loud
Britons awake!
The Empire too
We can depend on you.
Freedom remains
These are the chains
Nothing can break.

And England shall be free
If England means as much to you
As England means to me.

For all her failings, there is little better, and probably much worse out there. All things considered, I think I'll leave my foot in the door...:O One doesn't have to shout it loud anymore though, thankfully...?! :uhoh:

1DC
24th Nov 2004, 18:15
wonder how many PpruNeRs would be left after Drapes had been running the job for six months????

chiglet
24th Nov 2004, 18:36
Best advert
Listen to "England" Ralph McTell :ok:
watp,iktch

Teddy Robinson
25th Nov 2004, 09:57
Relegated as I am to bear island for the moment .. what do I miss ?

A decent pint of Ruddles, tandoori fragrenced high streets, and Radio 4.
Despite years of bemoaning the place, and it's climate there is really nowhere else I would rather be right now.

Bout time they joined Europe though ..

(Don's tin hat and retreats to foxhole! )

simon brown
25th Nov 2004, 17:38
England...Yeah not bad.We do a good line in dialects, beer, comedy and bespoke sportscars.

Weve got quite a good football league, and always apologise whether its our fault or not.

We are all biologically tuned roving meteorologists as we always manage to turn the conversation towards weather matters.

We are also very inventive but havent a clue how to capitalise on out inventiveness.We just go abroad and let someone else capitalise on our inventiveness.

We all have garden sheds and give/take council at least 3 times a week over a few pints of proper beer in an establishment that bends over backwards to accomodate you until 11PM thereafter demonising you

We partake in some peculiar hobbies and take pride in forming societies where there is a definite pecking order

We all clean our German/Japanese cars religiously on a Sunday morning and have a roast meal afterwards

We also have some great scenery within 2 hours of anywhere

We are goverened by people who think culturally there is nothing outside the M25 worthy of note, when in reality the reverse is true

redsnail
25th Nov 2004, 19:26
That is a brilliant summary.
I've "not from round 'ere" but I like Britain. It's fun, people are great, pubs are great fun (scottish hours much better) and every thing is so close. :)

tony draper
25th Nov 2004, 20:15
We are a gifted race,sadly of late there is little evidence of those gifts.
We gave the world railways radar antibiotics the laws of gravity and evolution,to name but a tiny portion, we produced Shakespeare, Newton, Darwin,Farraday and Brunell, to name but a few,we had men like Churchill,Marlbough Nelson,Shackelton,Cooke and Drake who do we produce now? feckin Spice Girls, and instant celebrities, we produce I'm a celebrity get me out of here and Trisha.
We has gone to the dogs we has, we are now a silly shallow people, our country has been subject to a takeover bid by twittering touchy feely luvvies and their fellow travellers
Were I a young man I would be offski.

:(

Big Tudor
25th Nov 2004, 20:29
I think you might be being a bit harsh on old Blighty there drapes. We've still get people like Ranulph Fiennes and David Hempleman-Adams exploring every last nook and cranny of the globe. Inventor wise, Trevor Bayliss and James Dyson are still stirring their old grey matter, as is Sir Clive Sinclair I believe. We played a big part in the EH101 helicopter and the Eurofighter. We do our bit for Airbus. Even though Fred Dibnah is now sadly departed, we still have our fair share of crackpots to stir things up and make life a bit intersting. I think the biggest problem is we ain't got the money to be able to build the world anymore.

If anyone wants a good perspective on life in the UK, Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson sums things up very nicely, IMHO. A slightly more cynical view can be obtained from Darcus Howe and his TV series 'White Tribe'.

chiglet
25th Nov 2004, 21:37
Drapes,
Don't forget Eric Laithwait,[linear motor] Cockerell [hovercraft] Whitwoth [screw threads] oh yes, IKB was half Froggie :{
watp,iktch

tony draper
25th Nov 2004, 21:45
Drapes met Eric Laithwait once many moons ago ,the rot set in when they stopped the Home Service on the wireless.
:rolleyes:

Feeton Terrafirma
26th Nov 2004, 06:21
Reddo,
and every thing is so close
Thats cos there's no room to swing a cat. You can drive legally from one end to the other in a day (I know, I did it) and I thought it was not such a bad place actually. (apart from all the pomolgonians that were everywhere) ;)

Oh and the beer (bitter) was excellent. Much better than the typical Aussie fosters / VB crap

ramsrc
26th Nov 2004, 06:48
IKB was half Froggie So was Concorde, but it was still good! :O

IFTB
26th Nov 2004, 07:03
who do we produce now? feckin Spice Girls, and instant celebrities, we produce I'm a celebrity get me out of here and Trisha. :ok: spot on!
However, Britain (or England if you want to be so limited) is not the only country like that, Mr.Draper

I am ashamed :( to mention that apparently 'Big Brother' was started in The Netherlands, my own submerged and flooded homeland. :{ :{

Paterbrat
26th Nov 2004, 17:15
Now this used to be a sentiment that summed it up

'There'll always be an England,
While there's a country lane.
Wherever there's a cottage small
Beside a field of grain
While there's a busy street.
Wherever there's a turning wheel
A million marching feet.

Red, white and blue
What does it mean to you?
Surely you're proud
Shout it loud
Britons awake!
The Empire too
We can depend on you.
Freedom remains
These are the chains
Nothing can break.

And England shall be free
If England means as much to you
As England means to me.'

Problem is though, the cottage small beside the field of grain is going fast, mostly as a weekend cottage. Travellers are taking over the fields of grain. Prescott wants fields of concrete and low cost housing all over the South. The million marching feet are strikers, the turning wheels are probably stopping just before Christmas and belong to underground trains probably through strike action, the staff not on strike or sickies are on extended new holidays extracted by the Unions. The Union Jack is sadly considered disrespectfull to our ethnic minorities who like the flags of their countries of origin, or the devoluted former members of the 'Union" who prefer to fly their own flags. Fly the St Georges cross and you run the risk of people thinking you subscribe to the National front. The word Empire is considered politicaly insensitive, bombastic and shows a colonialistic attitude
but apart from that there is still a lot going for the place. It really is the most beautiful place in summer, the beers are great, and it really has got some really good natured and kindly folks. Winter sucks it rains a lot but when alls said and done yes it is.

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Nov 2004, 17:50
Feets

Have to agree. Great beer but the horison gets a bit close at times.:ok: