PDA

View Full Version : which airline?

a14774
23rd Nov 2004, 15:31
Hi,

I am trying to break into the airline industry, mainly because I love planes and travelling. Ideally, I would like to make it as a Pilot later, but even if that is not possible, I would be happy to be associated with some company in this industry.

What I need advice on is: which airline is the best company for progression and conditions? Which does the best internal recruitment? I would be specially interested in airlines where you can start working, say, at a desk, and then apply internally for pilot, for example, but any kind of good internal recruitment would be great. Airlines that offer good holiday allowances, good travell allowaces (travel for free or with a great discounts) etc.

Also, a company that would be fun to work for. i do realize that work needs to be done and no company will be excellent, but any suggestions of ones that stand out would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Al

flystarboy
23rd Nov 2004, 18:50
work on your grammar first........?
And if you do get an interview dont overkill the benefits thing.. they are a perk of the job, because if you do like aviation you will work for less to begin with then when you gain experience you can move on to bigger and better things.

a14774
24th Nov 2004, 00:27
Hi flystarboy,

Thanks for your reply, I will keep those suggestions in mind. Can you, or any one, for that matter, suggest a name of a company? General advice is more than welcome, but I was looking for something more specific, as "company a does all recruiting internally", or "company B has an internal recruiting program for pilots", or "company C has free staff travel", etc.

And yes, my spelling on that post was terrible, point taken, so if anyone else wants to blast me about that, please send me a private message instead of cluttering this post with lots of entries about my spelling/grammar?

Thanks for your reply.
Alex

UPSAirOps
24th Nov 2004, 00:35
If you're looking for office work primarily, presumably it won't be 'front line' type stuff in contact with customers you're after? Are you looking to work cargo or PAX?

Not sure about how people go about applying for crew records or rostering, but perhaps something like that - but rostering might get a tad repetitive after a while. I would've thought PAX airlines will offer better benefits in terms of flights to exotic locations. Plus you'll probably be in with a better chance of working more sociable hours.

Someone who's worked through an airline upwards might be better placed to advise you.

chiglet
24th Nov 2004, 00:47
a14774
I [and possibly many others] don't really know just exactly what you mean.
Do you want to be "Flight Deck" or "Cabin Crew" or an "Engineer"
Give us a clue, please
watp,iktch

a14774
24th Nov 2004, 01:08
Hi chiglet,

Thanks for your reply. Your point is well taken. What I mean is that my dream would be to work as a pilot. I heard that some airlines allow internal pilot recruiting, that is, if you work in a company for a certain time, then they allow you to go through the selection criteria for pilot sponsorship. Not sure if this is true, if it is great, I would have a go working for that company and then applying if and when sponsorship opportunities came along. I am 30, so any other type of sponsership is out of the picture.

Before anyone suggests that this should be moved to the wannabe foruns, let me just stress again that what I am looking for is a good company to work for. Failing my dream as a pilot, I would be happy to work in other fields in the airline industry (customer service, IT, cabin crew - I know, difficult at my age), so my question is really: Which airline is known to be a good company to work for? which one values its people, it has good internal recruting? Another important aspect would be good staff travel allowance. All other benefits are secondary.

So, in summary, what airline companies are known as a good place to work at? i don't even mind working long and/or unsociable hours, just want to work for a fun company.

Hope this is clear.

Many thanks for your replies so far.

Alex

redfred
24th Nov 2004, 09:17
Most airlines will happily let you apply internally for a job as flight crew if you have the relevant qualifications, for example BA are internally recruiting type rated pilots now I read.The problem is that there are not many airlines who will give you a job and you are actually working for them so keep away from handling agents and go for VS/BD/BA if you are able to.

(Planes, progression, especially, travel, allowances, realise)

:D

a14774
24th Nov 2004, 10:07
Redfred,

Hi, thanks for your reply. do you mean by this:

The problem is that there are not many airlines who will give you a job and you are actually working for them

that companies give you a job, but you actually work for an agency, or something like that?

Also, I know I am going to feel really stupid, but what does VS/BD/BA stands for? Are these airlines's codes? Virgin, British Airways, etc?

Many thanks for your reply.

Alex

redfred
24th Nov 2004, 10:16
sorry mate yes Virgin, BA and British Midland, if you got a job with them you'd be employed by them and not a handling agent, for example at Heathrow you could be working on Lufthansa flights say checkin their paxs for them but you'd be employed by Globeground, same with Air France you wouldnt actually have a contract with the airline itself.

So try to get a job with one of the airlines mentioned above, it will stand you in good stead when you get your licences etc, not sure your nearest airport though

runawayedge
24th Nov 2004, 11:41
....maybe Prince Charles has a point after all!

enicalyth
24th Nov 2004, 16:57
Before you get bewitched, 'ave yer PULHEEMS done!

In days gone by a medical officer assessed:-

P - Physical capacity incl co-ordination
U- Upper body strength
L- Lower body strength
H- Hearing, Heart and Health (esp. ear, nose, throat, respiratory tract)
E- Left eye)
E- Right eye)incl colour vision
M-Mental capacity (mainly IQ & educational standards)
S- Mental stability (incl the wish to be a pilot is sufficient reason to disqualify!!)

Most people have discovered that colour vision is important and have already had an Ishihara test done (by no means a perfect test). Don't think of dreaming dreams until this is done.

But also a huge number of people are unaware of the stringency of ear, nose, throat examination. Beware. Two sides to this, namely what you can do about it and what you can't. If you have breathing, chesty, coughy problems forget it. If you like loud music, stop before your hearing is irretrievably damaged.

Education, education, education. It's a tough trade. If you're struggling at Maths, Science, English and Languages then it isn't going to suddenly get easier. You can make it nonetheless but the competition is fierce.

It is hard to join at a desk and work your way up to the flight deck. Time is against you so make sure you are medically fit first and wherever possible get the educational certificates. Then you don't need a desk job, apply direct and prepare for the struggle. You must be healthy and ideally wealthy too. Some of your training you will have to pay for yourself.

Startup companies thrive often because someone has gone bust. For example don't even think Virgin Blue. The queue winds twice around the block with pilots already over-qualified on type. For example why did Virgin Blue adopt B737NG and not A318/319/320/321?

It's been said above. Don't work for a handling agent. If it doesn't say (insert major airline name here) on your payslip then you are not working for an airline so no merit stars apply.

Having said all the grumpy stuff I have a young friend who recently made it onto Squezyjet. He paid for his own training in NZ and Mrs E and me saw him square. So whoever employs you first is obviously the best (??), then you find somebody else and probably somebody else after that. No employer is a saint. Only yourself.

Mrs E will tell you she'd rather... oh well find out for yourself.

The very, very best of luck.

a14774
26th Nov 2004, 14:24
Redfred,

thanks for your comments, I will take those in consideration.

enicalyth,

Thanks for that post, it was rather informative, albeit tongue in cheek and enigmatic at times.

You are right, I don't have much time. That's why choosing the right airline is important If I could go back time... but I can't. And I don't have right now 80000 pounds to throw away at the licenses stratigh way. i believe I can work my way up, saving and such, but to minimize risk I would like to be starting collecting point with an ailline company, so that at least I have a record with them if and when I get a license. At least they will be able to say "ok, this guy is not some unknown, he has worked for us for some time, a good employee, bla bla bla".

Yes, phisicals are important, I do realize that. it is something that I have to get around and do it.

I heard before stories about EZ like the one you tell, so I am starting to think that thee might be some truth in it. I live close to Luton. Any body has a formed opinion if EZ is a good company to work for?

Many thanks for your replies, guys, they have been very helpful

A

runawayedge
26th Nov 2004, 16:23
anybody got Prince Charles' phone number......i'm gonna take him for a pint!