PDA

View Full Version : Rockhopper expansion?

FLYboh
23rd Nov 2004, 15:14
Their website has a little piece stating

'Ten routes to better air links - Noel Hayes in Guernsey'

Has anyone got any info as the piece hasn't been loaded up onto the news pages yet.

Have heard they are planning to get two S360's so maybe these are to base in Guernsey and fly 10 X daily routes.

haughtney1
23rd Nov 2004, 15:25
Remember the add on here for enthusiastic commercial pilots?

minimums 1000tt and 250ME PIC..etc

Id say thats a fairly good indication of something positive....having said that..if all they are offering is Islanders and Trislanders, and they need pilots with 250hr ME PIC..I think they might struggle.....most guys I know with that experience are happy flying Navajo's, Senecas, and the odd turbine. At least the wheels fold up..and you get somewhere on a windy day..before you go deaf!!!

Seriously...I hope they are expanding....from all accounts its a great operation.

H

J-Guy
23rd Nov 2004, 18:02
The statement refers to Noel Hayes' presentation to the Guernsey Chamber of Commerce last week. He presented a 10-point plan on how Guernsey must protect and develop its air routes. Sadly it is not about their own expansion plans, however, I am quite positive that Rockhopper will announce new routes and aircraft in the near future.

caa19
13th Jan 2005, 12:09
Looks like the Aurigny SD-360s are off to Rockhopper about March - anyone heard anything definate on what routes they will be put on (more GCI-JER frequency?)

Le Tirer
22nd Feb 2005, 12:32
From the CAA website today:

AirX Limited t/a Rockhopper applied on 16 February 2005 to wet lease two Slovakian registered LET410UVP-E aircraft(registrations OM-SDA and one to be advised) from 14 March 2005 until 13 June 2005.

The reason for this application is to assess the suitability of the
aircraft for future fleet requirements.

Does this mean that the Aurigny SD360s are not being acquired after all or will they be assessing them too?

Nakata77
22nd Feb 2005, 14:03
i thought they were taking over Aurigny???

Ckin Gal
22nd Feb 2005, 14:26
purely from what the local papers have said. both flybe and rockhopper have been named as ''out of the running'' so to speak, with regards to taking over aurigny.

Personal thought: -
Rockhopper created themselves partially as competition to aurigny who had relatively no competition for years. seems a bit odd that they would then take over aurigny and end up with a monopoly again?:confused:

FLYboh
22nd Feb 2005, 15:11
Does anyone know how many passengers can be carried by one of these LET410's?

MARKEYD
22nd Feb 2005, 17:28
These little " put puts " take 15 passengers in a standard 2 + 1 seat arrangement with a rear baggage compartment

It has a range with max fuel and pax of about 210 miles

Gulf Julliet Papa
22nd Feb 2005, 21:27
They are leasing Lydd Air Trislander G-BEDP for "3 months" starting in mid march. This isnt really expansion as DP is covering maintenance on the rest of the fleet...maybe they will finally paint IP

Nakata77
23rd Feb 2005, 08:46
actaully the LET410's he's leased are 19 seaters with a range of almost 700nm.

a lot cheaper to lease than the Trislanders and with more comfort and range.

Bring it on - I think they'll look smart in the fleet.

Torquelink
23rd Feb 2005, 09:34
If they decide that the Let 410s are suitable and want to purchase / dry lease them, they'll need G marks won't they? Has the 410 ever been certificated in the UK or, as the Czech Republic is now part of the EU, will they qualify under JAA/EASA or whatever?

virginblue
23rd Feb 2005, 10:28
Can the LETs operate from ALderney ? I seem to remember that they are designed to operate from shortish, non-paved runway. Would be quite a step forward for Alderney in terms of comfort (although the LETs are not exactly state of the art comfy planes)

loveJet
23rd Feb 2005, 11:06
they require 700meters so yes can land at ACI.

Much more comfortable than the Trislander thats for sure...

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Feb 2005, 12:29
A poke in the eye is more comfortable than a trislander.

Oshkosh George
23rd Feb 2005, 13:37
That had me rolling on the floor,but I would give my right arm to sample one(because of the rarity and novelty,nothing to do with comfort)

FLYboh
23rd Feb 2005, 15:00
So maybe the LETs are to replace the Trislanders and the S360's will be used on routes like BOH-JER and BOH-GCI.

welkyboy
23rd Feb 2005, 15:59
The latest is thatAurigny are keeping SH360 GBPFN at least for 12 months, I dont think they would have sold it to Rockhopper anyway.
Rockhopper will use Let between JER/GCI/ACI and BOH interisland and St Brieuc flts will still be by BN2's
Onanother note Aurigny are to lease one ATR72 to Aer Arran and plan to keep one Saab340 on line for the summer.

caa19
24th Feb 2005, 11:45
Anyone know do AX still hand out earplugs on the BN-2's? I wish GR did my ears were hurting on a JER-GCI last month and its only 15mins!

With regards to G-BEDP it was opperating for AX back in Jan, bit drab with AX sticker towards the front. G-LCOC (what it is covering for) is a MkIII-1 (short nose) and in maintenece for corrosion apparently.... is it coming back or being retired?

With regards to the Let410, it wont need a G- if its only short term lease, interesting to see if its certified or comes under EASA now. Keep the info coming...

LGWAlan
24th Feb 2005, 11:45
Okshosh - keep your right arm as opposed to sampling the Let410. Am only a 6 footer - could not physically get my knees behind the seat in front (was in the single seat fortunately) so apart from take off and landing I stood at the back or sat on the floor - was comfier! Flight was operated under an OK flight number VIE-PRG. Fortunately, the return leg was on an AT4 - or would have gone and gotten the train - yes it was that bad.

Nakata77
24th Feb 2005, 14:01
LGWalan

im sure it aint THAT comfy, but COMPARED to the BN2 or BNT it is leagues ahead surely.

Yes they still hand out earplugs, like sweets only more useful. I love Rockhopper.

LET410 look so smart and will be great to see at Bournemouth. The apron will finally be busy at last from next month.

LGWAlan
24th Feb 2005, 16:00
UNfortunately Nakata - I can't compare the Let with a BNI or a BNT as have never had the pleasure of either. All I can say is that it was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever been on - even worse than the headrest on a galley box in the front galley of one or three 757's!

Nakata77
24th Feb 2005, 16:28
hahahahaha

well lets just hope they keep the routes to 45 min maximum. and this time hand out pillows instead of earplugs.

maybe they will remove a row of seats to improve seat pitch.

Ckin Gal
28th Feb 2005, 08:27
GLCOC is back in service. and yes ear plugs are available

FLYboh
25th Mar 2005, 09:36
They are applying for an Alderney-Southampton route and taking another Trislander by the Autumn.

Rockhopper strengthens its fleet
24th March 2005

The Channel Island airline Rockhopper has added another Trislander to its fleet in preparation for what is likely to be its busiest summer ever on all routes. The new aircraft has the registration G-BEDP and has been bought from the southern England based airline, Lyddair. Rockhopper has already been using the aircraft on a lease basis to cope with its growing passenger numbers.

“We expect this summer to be our busiest ever”, says Rockhopper’s chief executive Noel Hayes. “We will be flying a complete Channel Island network as well as flights from all three Islands to Brittany and from Alderney to Bournemouth and Brighton on the UK south coast. We have started the year very strongly with successive record breaking months, and so adding another aircraft to our fleet is the logical next step”.

Rockhopper has also applied to add a route between Alderney and Southampton to its network, with a hearing for that application expected next month.

“We believe there is a strong case for Alderney to licence another operator on the route to Southampton to make sure that whatever happens in the future, this lifeline route will be protected for Islanders. Buying this new aircraft demonstrates our commitment to building and safeguarding air links for the local community”.

The trislander aircraft have been a regular feature on all Channel Island routes for many years. This acquisition will bring Rockhopper’s fleet up to five Trislander and Islander aircraft with a sixth planned to join the fleet before the autumn.

J-Guy
25th Mar 2005, 10:48
Is there any news on the LET 410s? I am presuming that another Trislander joining the fleet signifies that it is unlikely the two LET 410s will come about.

Nakata77
27th Mar 2005, 19:11
i thought the LET410's were arriving in March till June - thats what the CAA reported. Maybe its been pushed back?

Watch this space for BOH expansion I heard... Alderney already up to 3 daily from Bournemouth in summer peak.

phil_2405
27th Mar 2005, 19:15
Watch this space for BOH expansion I heard... Alderney already up to 3 daily from Bournemouth in summer peak.

What kind of expansion do you mean? New routes or increased frequencies?

Oshkosh George
28th Mar 2005, 12:02
I note that Jethros states that the LET leases are cancelled,and asks if there were CAA complications.

caa19
30th Mar 2005, 16:07
I too am a bit unsure what happened with the Let's. The original notificaiton in OR2 said start date 15 March (i think) and as of yesterday (29 March) decision still hadnt being given (see http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/213/1689.pdf).

Any info would be useful. Nobody tells me anything now Ive left!

Regarding G-BEDP this is now owned by AX too.