PDA

View Full Version : The Laziest Commuter in the World?

eal401
23rd Nov 2004, 15:08
One of my colleagues drives to work daily. Not much odd about that you might say, but for one tiny detail. He lives in the next postcode to the office! Total distance to travel, 0.5 miles or approximately 10 minutes on foot! To top it all off, he doesn't park in the staff car park, but instead parks illegally near the back door to minimise his walking! One quote overheard at the end of last week, on the really icy morning, "Couldn't get in the car as the lock was frozen. Thought I might have to walk."

The funny thing is that he is a tight-fisted git so we are all amazed that he is happy to waste the petrol!

Anyone else have anyone as lazy where they work? Or lazier?

1DC
23rd Nov 2004, 15:35
Not the laziest commute but possibly the one of the most expensive.
Three years ago wife and I went to Oz for the winter, every weekday morning a helicopter arrived at a helipad near our apartment at about 1000, a chap got out and was driven off in a merc. About 1530 the helicopter came back the merc arrived and the chap flew away.
Last winter we went back and were surprised to see that this was still happening. I've often wondered how much that commute cost.

Jerricho
23rd Nov 2004, 15:39
"2 Jags" Prescott?

topcat450
23rd Nov 2004, 16:06
:ugh: ahem I have recently been on a major lazy factor, similar to your mate, a 10 min walk but I've been driving for the last few months, I have had a prob with my feet though so my excuse was I was giving them proper time to heal. I will get back to walking soon... well... soonish.

Bomber ARIS
23rd Nov 2004, 17:06
1DC, Howdy

By any chance, do you recall the type of helicopter used?

1DC
23rd Nov 2004, 17:34
Bomber, not much knowledge about helicopters I'm afraid but it looked rather upmarket,a five seater.

Guern
23rd Nov 2004, 18:40
Used to have a secretary who we thought would have put her car in the lift and driven to her desk if she could have!!

She only lived 500 yards from the office but drove to work, round a one way system which took 10 mins when walking would take 2 mins!!!!

Jerricho
23rd Nov 2004, 19:51
We have a park down the road from us that all the locals take their doggies down to for walks. Now, there is one lady who lives no more than 150 metres from the park (you can see her house from the park) She DRIVES her dog down to the park, lets it run around for 10/15 minutes, then puts the dog back in the car and drives the 150 metres BACK to her house.

con-pilot
23rd Nov 2004, 19:56
I think I was married to her once Jerricho. :cool:

reynoldsno1
23rd Nov 2004, 20:00
Saw a documentray a couple of months ago about Houston being Fat City USA - one woman drove her kids 60 yds down her driveway to catch the school bus that stopped outside the house...

Whirlygig
23rd Nov 2004, 20:15
Guern,

In defence of your secretary - I used to work close where I live (and still live). During the summer, I would walk to work (took five minutes) but in the winter I would drive since, sadly in this day and age, personal safety is an issue.

In my case, it was less that there were potential rapists and mad axe men but rather that I would fall in the canal as it was sooooo dark down by the cut!! No street lighting, no proper path and the most direct route meant that I had to walk across the lock gates (otherwise it meant a ten minute walk).

However, I always walked home at lunchtime!! and, when we had a big dump of snow last January - I was the only one who could get home as I kept wellies in the back of my car.

Cheers

Whirlygig

nosefirsteverytime
23rd Nov 2004, 20:23
is a 25 minute walk a good excuse to take the bus?

That's my commute, and I walk it.

Crepello
23rd Nov 2004, 20:39
Other side of the coin: Like many metropoli, Houston has neighbourhoods where you take your car if you need to travel 2 blocks... cos t'aint safe to walk. :(

Jerricho
23rd Nov 2004, 20:42
Con-pilot - she is a bit of a MILF ;)

Guern
23rd Nov 2004, 21:59
Whirlygig

That was in a place where there were one or two mugguings a year in the whole Island! She would have had to walk a well lit street on a major road not a back alley. Anyway it was always daylight when she arrived/left!

MadsDad
24th Nov 2004, 09:10
Not commuting but where I work there are two groups of buildings a mile or so apart and I often have to go from where I am to the other buildings for meetings. The company is good in that they provide a regular bus service between the two but if you happen to just miss it you have 1/2 hour wait for the next bus. If it happens I usually walk (unless it's persisting it down) and can easily do it before the next bus but it is amazing how many people wait. I consider it a bonus, a pleasant stroll during the day.

The other related one is parking in the supermarket. I just go for the first place I see and walk across the car park but it is amazing how many people MUST park as near to the door as possible and drive round for ages loking for a space. There have been times when I've just about finished before they have parked - and they got there before me.

angels
24th Nov 2004, 09:22
Mads - That's my wife you see looking for a space close to the entrance of the supermarket. Drives me mad it does.

The author Bill Bryson recounts that when he moved to New England (can't recall where), they invited their new neighbours around to dinner.

The night of the dinner and arrives and they see the neighbours' garage door open and the car drive out. Bryson assumed they had forgotten about the dinner and were off out somewhere.

The car duly motors down the 150 yards to the Brysons' house, pulls into the driveway and the neighbours emerge.

Over dinner he asked them if they took a light plane to the supermarket, but they didn't understand him.....

Lancelot de boyles
24th Nov 2004, 09:51
And lets not forget the lazy sods who park in the pickup area/parents-with-kids-spaces to save themselves parking in a regular space and walking a further ten feet...

I once lived only ten minutes walk from work. Then went and bought a nice car. The local no-hope layabouts wouldn't leave it alone. Had to start driving so I knew the car was safe.

Glad I moved away from there:mad:

eal401
24th Nov 2004, 09:55
The other related one is parking in the supermarket. I just go for the first place I see and walk across the car park but it is amazing how many people MUST park as near to the door as possible and drive round for ages loking for a space. There have been times when I've just about finished before they have parked - and they got there before me.
You are exactly like me! My car parking strategy is simple. It doesn't matter where it is in the car park, any space is a good space!

Cheerio, you reminded me about a colleague's recent tale. He'd stopped at a motorway services early one morning. Deserted car park. Despite this, an OAP trundles in, parks right next to him and "slam" opens his door hard against my colleague's car!! When my colleague got out to check the damage, the OAP was totally confused as he didn't realise what he had done!!

As for supermarket trollies....grrrrr. My local Tesco has a standard policy on re-collection of trollies. It can only be done when 1 trolley is left outside the door and the rest of the trolley parks are so stuffed full, the car park roadways are half blocked. By that time others are scattered everywhere because all the trolley parks are overflowing.

DubTrub
24th Nov 2004, 11:13
...and why do UK trollies have all four wheels free-castoring, so impossible to steer, whereas Murcan ones have fixed trailing wheels and castoring front 'uns that make steering a lot easier.

No wonder my knees are in a mess. Grrr.

Mr Chips
24th Nov 2004, 11:19
And lets not forget the lazy sods who park in the pickup area/parents-with-kids-spaces
Oooo.. big bug bear of mine with local Sainsbury's... front spaces - around 4,000 of them (rough estimate) are allocated as disabled and mother/child spaces. Why??? Ok, disabled I understand, and wider spaces for mother/child I can understand, but why so close to the front? If you are putting your child into a buggy or teh trolley, then there is no problem walking!!! If your child can walk.. good, let them walk! perhaps they will be then too tired to screech their way around the store!

Thank you ;)

slim_slag
24th Nov 2004, 11:48
Last week saw a good old fashioned fist fight in local Sainsburys car park over a mother/child parking spot. Real scraps are nothing like you see in the movies.

Kolibear
24th Nov 2004, 14:12
MadsDad,

The company bus may be something to do with insurance, so if you take the bus, you are still under the company insurance, but if you walk, you're on your own.....

Dubtrub,

Carrefour have recently gone to 2 fixed & two castorin wheels, they are great when they are unloaded, but once full of crates of beer, they are impossible to move sideways.

I have to confess to using the parent & child spaces, but it was when my Mum couldn't walk very far & before she got her blue invalid card. So she was the parent & I was the child.

airship
24th Nov 2004, 14:28
...and why do UK trollies have all four wheels free-castoring, so impossible to steer, whereas Murcan ones have fixed trailing wheels and castoring front 'uns that make steering a lot easier... One would have thought that if the front wheels were fixed with the rear ones turning would be more manageable in the crowded aisles...?! After all forklifts operate that way. :confused: Do they have trolleys in Harrods? Are they equipped with power-steering? If not, why not? Aaaahhhh, they're chauffeur-driven...! :=

BombayDuck
24th Nov 2004, 15:31
Morning commute:

5 min walk - 15 min bus - 7 min train - cross brige (3 mins) - 25 min train ride - walk.

evening:

reverse above order, replace bus ride with 40 min walk.

*phew*

Ace Rimmer
24th Nov 2004, 17:07
That will probably me... distance from bedroom to study about 30 feet...mind you I do have to go to the kitchen first to make coffee. so that's all the way downstairs and back up again...
but then again I do walk havent got a stannah stair lift or suchlike...

simon brown
25th Nov 2004, 17:55
I always use the mother and child space.If challenged i say i'm picking up my aged mother and I'm the child:E