PDA

View Full Version : New Spanish Airport

colegate
23rd Nov 2004, 06:38
Apparently a new airport is being built on the Spanish Costas. Does anyone know exactly where this is and when it will be finished?

Toulouse
23rd Nov 2004, 09:24
Haven't heard anything about a new airport being built on the costas. There is however a new airport being built in central Spain in the city of Ciudad Real. First private 'civil' airport in Spain (ie, not controlled by AENA). Few people know where Ciudad Real is, but it could have potential. Ciudad Real is 200 km. south of Madrid, yet is linked by the high speed train (AVE) and the journey time is just 45 minutes. I believe there'll be an AVA station in the airport. The airport is "supposed" to be open in about a year, yet on my last visit to the area last summer I didn't see much. Link: www.donquijoteairport.com (http://www.donquijoteairport.com)
Original name forthe airport... Don Quijote Airport, cause the famous Spanish novel by Cervantes, "Don Quixote" was based in La Mancha, and Ciudad Real is the capital of the La Mancha region of Castilla La Mancha.

danfulton
23rd Nov 2004, 10:12
Try this link for a report,

http://www.dipcas.es/proyectos/aeropuerto/pdf/prognosis.pdf

It is going to be in the Castellon region, between Valencia and Barcelona.

So up the coast there will be,

Murcia
Alicante
Valencia
Castellon
Reus
Barcelona
Girona

That I can think of !

ALLMCC
23rd Nov 2004, 10:33
Sounds like an ideal FR destination - Madrid South?

big.al
23rd Nov 2004, 10:44
I understand a new airport is being built just south of Murcia, much closer to the city than the current San Javier (MJV) airport. I'm not sure of the opening date, I had heard it was 2006 but then that was only a rumour...

colegate
23rd Nov 2004, 11:35
Thanks, danfulton. That is the one I was thinking of.

Toulouse
23rd Nov 2004, 12:59
Definitely ALLMCC, or maybe we could go for Lisbon East or Casablanca North (actually they already fly to Malaga)!:D

Interesting link Danfulton

Pablo79
23rd Nov 2004, 13:53
Don Quijote was originally thought to also have excellent cargo potential (as Ciudad Real is technically served by Barajas). At the same time as this was announced (1999/2000) plans for a new Madrid airport at Campo Real were under review (link (http://www.madrid.org/comun/transportes/0,3150,52810807_52885626_53444254_12284508_,00.html)).

Good news about Castellon de la Plana airport plans.

Whispering Giant
23rd Nov 2004, 16:41
Indeed there is to be a new airport to be built in the Spanish Costa's (the Costa Calida to be exact) and it is to be built closer to Murcia than the current San Javier - My parent's live down there and have been giving me the low down on it.
It's at a place called Corvere which is about 15-25 km south of Murcia city on the main motorway the N301 to Cartagena.
It was originally estimated to open in 2006 but there has been legal problems with purchasing the land from the landowners and also trying to trace some of the hence why construction hasn't even started yet. The new revised opening date is now 2010.
Might be a interesting place to fly into as to the north west of the airport and quite close by is the 1066m peak of Carrascoy so could get some interesting winds coming off there which might make things a little sporting.

hope this helps
brgds
W.G