PDA

View Full Version : Internal Modem Question

Paracab
23rd Nov 2004, 01:03
About a year or so ago I had a lot of trouble with my PC and a kind chap in the IT dept at work sorted it out for me, however, this involved re-installing Windows 2000.

At the time he mentioned that I wouldn't be able to get a dial up connection because he hadn't bothered to do anything with the internal modem (re-install the driver perhaps ?) but this was not a problem as I have broadband and an external modem, therefore would not need the internal modem to be working.

Now that I have a laptop I am planning to give the PC to my father-in-law but want to be sure that he can get a dial up connection.

Basically, is there anyway that I can check from home whether the internal modem is working or not before I make the long haul up north to deliver the PC to him ?

The guy at work is no longer around to ask, any explanations in plain English welcome, I'm still a bit of a self taught amateur when it comes to pooters !!

Thanks in advance,

Pc

amanoffewwords
23rd Nov 2004, 06:47
Yes,

1 go to Control Panel
2 click on phones+modems
3 click the modem tab
4 the modem should be listed there
5 if a modem is listed click properties
6(*) click query modem - this will send a series of messages to the modem to make sure it's vital signs are ok - it will tell you whether it passes the test or not .

(*) I'm not sure if there isn't another tab to be clicked at this stage - I removed my modem a week or so ago, laid to to rest next to an old VCR...

If the modem is not listed in 5 the driver for it can be re-installed from the win2k cd.

hth,

Charles