PDA

View Full Version : US trained pilots?

pltskiracer
22nd Nov 2004, 22:58
Evening everyone!

What is the feeling from the airline community towards US trained pilots and towards pilots who have gained theire experiences in the states?

The reason for asking is my goal/dream is to work for a european based company. I am a 28 year old Norwegian national currently working as an FO on an EMB-145 for a US regional airline. I have a US ATP and about 4000 TT with 2000 multi and about 1200 turbine(650 King Air PIC part 135).

I am planing on starting on the JAA ATPL theory very soon, I am just trying to get a feel of the market right now and hopefully get some good feed back from you on this topic.

Do I have a chance when it comes to competing with european traind pilots?

PicMas
23rd Nov 2004, 05:35
You should be fine, its predominantly the flight schools who tend to have a chip on their shoulder. As soon as you are well clear of the flight training environment I'm sure your credentials will be quite competitive.....also in EU.

Don't pay too much attention to stories about US-trained pilots whom, with 250hrs and fresh out of flight school, failed to meet standards of some local EU flight school.

With your experience you are well ahead!!

Held og lykke med det!

23rd Nov 2004, 20:20
You most certainly have a chance!

I did my commercial and instrument training in the US and I have never received any negative comments about it when working for Norwegian, Swedish or British airlines.

Lykke til!

klavoll
24th Nov 2004, 13:39
pltskiracer:

Where are you training for your JAA ATPL? I am in approx similar situation flying pic on a Citation (part 135), but would eventually like to return to Norway.

pltskiracer
25th Nov 2004, 15:13
Well unfortunately I haven't started on the JAA ATPL course yet. I am in the research phase right now. I have so much time on my hands so I might as well get started.

Do you guys have any suggestions on where to take this course.

trot
27th Nov 2004, 05:52
been there done it,

try bristol groundschool, study hard and they make sure you pass all your 14 exams, which you need to take, based on your experience.

afterwards take a flight test, which has to be observed by an caa inspector. that's usually the toughest hurdle to arrange, particular if there is no sim for your type within reach.

cheers