PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air Business Class

timmyneedham
22nd Nov 2004, 13:55
Been offered flights to Bangkok on Gulf Air (via Abu Dhabi or Bahrain) and wondered if they're any good.

Cheers

TN

Flip Flop Flyer
22nd Nov 2004, 15:33
I've done GF LHR-BAH-LHR a couple of times.

They're just fine, in my opinion. A330 better than A340 due to newer, bigger, seats and larger IFE screen and improved IFE system.

The Sky Chef set-up is a nice addition; food is quite decent. Service about the level of SQ/EK, in other words among the best. More comfortable than EK 330 equipment, as GF J-cabin layout is 2-2-2 and EK is 2-3-2.

All in all a very pleasent experience, highly recommendable.

One word of caution though: try getting a seat as far forward in the J cabin as possible. GF usually place pax with infants in the very first row of economy, and listning to a crying baby going on full blast for 6 hours is not exactly fun. Then again, GF does have very comfy noise suppressing headsets.

PS
In about half a post I imagine someone will post a completely opposite impression, and you'll be none the wiser.

BahrainLad
22nd Nov 2004, 21:10
GF's Club offering is pretty old fashioned....for me it's a good thing. Lunch/Dinner on the ex-LHR services can only be described as ornate, dishes plated up for you on a trolley etc with your option to pick and mix accompaniments....not like BA where a tray is plonked in front of you...a la economy 15 years ago.

I'd echo the comments about the A330 vs. A340, and yes, the 2-2-2 is better than Emirates' A330.

Also, if you're transiting BAH, you'll get to use the new Lounge, which is absolutely fab. Private chef, wi-fi, Xboxes for the kids etc.

timmyneedham
23rd Nov 2004, 08:08
Thanks boys. Sold to the man in row 5.

BahrainLad
24th Nov 2004, 15:47
No problem, but I'd be very interested to hear your honest opinion on GF's service after your flights.

If you're looking for a hotel in Bangkok, I recommend Swiss Lodge.

timmyneedham
24th Nov 2004, 20:56
I'll be sure to let you know. I'm planning to stay at the Oriental.

radeng
25th Nov 2004, 12:02
Mrs radeng has just returned from a trip to India on Gulf Air, in economy. She reports being very impressed by it. So if it's that good in economy, there's a good chance Business will be even better

phreegreens
25th Nov 2004, 20:10
Myself and Mrs PG are doing LHR-SYD in GF business class in Janaury, tickets were cheaper than BA WT+, OK you get an extra stop in BAH and on the return a 4 hour layover in BAH, but at least there is a decent lounge.

If you do pop for GF sign up in their FF prgramme, you can earn Virgin miles, or it looks like with our Oz trip we will rack up enough miles for some decent u/g's on GF.

Report back if you make the trip.. :ok:

radeng
25th Nov 2004, 20:23
Anyone from Gulf Air could get quite big headed reading the laudatory comments on this thread!

timmyneedham
26th Nov 2004, 09:13
Sadly it looks as though my own trip is off as I can't get the hotel I want in Phuket. I would love to hear how phreegreens gets on in Jan.

phreegreens
26th Nov 2004, 17:20
no worries, tm I'll report in February when I get back.

timmyneedham
9th Dec 2004, 10:47
It's all on again - I'll report back around Christmas.

timmyneedham
22nd Dec 2004, 16:15
Right then. Well it's a game of two halves really.

Outbound LHR-BAH an ageing 340 and we were put in the last row of biz against a bulkhead and with all the babies right behind us in their cots. Plus child screamed all night in First, so they all came back to biz for a bit of p and q. Seat in front of me occupied by woman who watched telly for a bit and then reclined her seat leaving me staring at the screen (very bright once the lights had gone off). Her seat came back so much it trapped me in mine.
Food pretty dire to be honest. Plane packed so no chance for any real service.

Inbound flew in from Muscat. Totally different. 330 this time. Not busy so fabulous service and very comfortable. Food much better too. Also you get a limo both ways, which is great when you live in Hampshire.

All in all, I shall definitely be flying with them again. The Skybeds can't come soon enough though. By the way I hate 340s.

TN