PDA

View Full Version : 1974 Fender Stratocaster

Parapunter
22nd Nov 2004, 10:42
http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~pakuya/strat04.jpg

What do you reckon? I own one like that on the left. I really don't play it anymore, preferring my acoustic for a plank spank. So, I'm gonna sell it. I've not looked at strat prices for years & was amazed to see them going for between 800 - 2500 grand:uhoh:

Does anyone have an informed view on how much mine might be worth? 74 tobacco burst 'big head' bullet truss rod & micro tilt model without tremolo.

Bally Heck
22nd Nov 2004, 10:55
Was it ever played by say.... one of the Bay City Rollers?

This could have a big influence on the eventual selling price. Might I suggest that you suggest that it may have once possibly been played perhaps by a dead and unverifiable, but none the less cool iconic figure. Or at least that's what you heard when you bought it (for over the odds) on that basis.

Alternatively if you see that as slightly economical with the truth.

Wait until next years Children in Need.

Pledge one thousand pounds for Eric Clapton to play Layla on it. Instantly worth fifty grand at auction and you'll have the video to prove it.

Cheap as chips!

Gainesy
22nd Nov 2004, 10:56
Draaaaper, get yer butt in 'ere>

tony draper
22nd Nov 2004, 12:22
Hmmm not sure to tell yers the troof, depends where it was built what pickups it has ect ect, some of them do go for silly prices on ebay next time one that seems identical in every way year build eletrics ect goes for a normal price, one shall make enquires on a vintage Strat fan website if you wish.
Pity twasn't Fiesta red with maple neck.
Ah sorry one notes it does indeed possess a maple neck.

:rolleyes:
Drapes Strat is very interesting,its like Johnny Cash's car, 70's Agathi wood body,90's maple neck,2004 pickguard, 70's pickups pups,2004 gold ironmongery.
:uhoh:

M.Mouse
22nd Nov 2004, 12:32
800 - 2500 grand

800,000 - 2,500,000! Strewth!

I reckon I could make one for you for say......1,000,000. Let me know.

tony draper
22nd Nov 2004, 12:41
Ok one has put the wheels in motion, some very knowledgable people on this other website,meanwhile found this on google with info on Vintage Fenders.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html

Ah here yer go, go to the website below, click on advanced search,and input Fender, Stratocaster and 1974, twill give you a idea of the prices they are going for, tiz in dollars though.

http://www.gbase.com/

Parapunter
22nd Nov 2004, 13:57
Drapes, you're an angel:ok:

Yer not avin me vox though

BRL
22nd Nov 2004, 14:05
Ahhhhhh the lovely Strat. I couldn't play a note on one even if you put a gun to my head, alas, I am only a poor drummer but, I do love the look and feel of a nice Strat.

I was in a band throughout most of the 80's around Liverpool and the singer had a Strat, a black one, I loved it it was a stunning 'geet' as I liked to call it. He announced one day that he was to sell it. I was gutted, If I had the cash I would have had it off him but no way could I afford it. It was terrible the day he sold it. Met the bloke in a pub and he bought it there and then. Felt a lump in my throat when he walked out the door with it, like seeing on old friend going away for the last time....Anyhow, love Strats, if I could play guitar I know for a fact I would have one or two sitting here around the house. :)
Here is a piccy, taken from one of our last gigs on 21st July '90...ahhhh, the good old days...... :ugh:
http://www.marcusware.com/modpix/data/Strat.jpg

Just an other number
22nd Nov 2004, 15:05
Oh dear - look at this from Vintage guitar -
'For most collectors, pre-CBS (pre-1966) Fender vintage guitars and amps are the desirable ones. Although CBS purchased Fender (officially) on January 3rd 1965, it took some time till the guitars changed (though by mid 1964, six months before CBS bought Fender, things were already "on the way down"). By the end of 1965, the general look and feel of the Fender guitars had changed significantly. All collectors feel the quality of their instruments and amps suffered as CBS employed more "mass production" manufacturing processes to the Fender guitars. The "large peghead" (starting in late 1965) as used on the Fender Stratocaster was one example of the (bad) changes to come. The "custom contoured" bodies Fender was famous for no longer were as sculped and sleek. Newer (and less attractive) plastics were used for the pickguards. Pearl fingerboard inlays replaced the original "clay" dots. Indian rosewood replaced the beautifully figured Brazilian rosewood on the fingerboards. And by 1968, polyurathane replaced the original nitrocellulose lacquer clearcoat that was used from Fender's conception. By early 1971 the party was truely over. Fender now employed the infamous "3 bolt neck" and one piece die cast bridge on the Strat, ruining it's tone and feel. Many other models suffered the same miserable fate of being over mass-produced and cheapened by corporate zellots.'

Tell you what - I'll give you a hundred quid - no questions - I'll pick it up.
Don't bother with ebay etc - bunch of thieves.
and as for that T Draper - he's a Gibson man really.
OK or what??

noisy
22nd Nov 2004, 15:24
Yes, I see it now....all I have to do is wait 20-30 years and my 1988 korean squier bullet will be worth some serious ca$h, particularly after some modifications involving making it left handed and painting it psychedelic colours.....

Hey Joe, where you goin with that gun in your hand?

:E

Parapunter
22nd Nov 2004, 15:35
One is aware of the CBS butchery of Fenders geets. Just look at the god awful fat strats from circa 1980. One imagines you can't give them away.

However, one was surprised at the value of early seventies machines, although one knew they had for some unfathomable reason come back into fashion. I don't consider mine a great guitar, it has the big ugly headstock, no tremolo (a crime on a strat imho) & the dreaded bullet truss rod. However, it is original, well played in & the paintwork is nicely worn away, suggesting a hard life gigging prior to being in my hot little hands.

I think a little ebaying may be the answer, then I can get my hands on that trace elliot acoustic amp I've been eyeing up:}

noisy
22nd Nov 2004, 15:38
Do you mean no tremolo arm or just no tremolo? that sounds a bit weird. I mean why not just buy a telecaster if you don't want a flying bridge?

tony draper
22nd Nov 2004, 15:41
Some maintain that the best ever Stratocasters were produced in Japan, tried out a Japanese Squire once and it was the dogs bollix, hard to explain why one guitar is better/easier to play than another, but tiz true they may look identical, but they do not sound or play the same.
Drapes had a 1964 Fiesta red Strat in 1964 for about three months,one had to part with it when on ran out of beer money before ones leave was up,can't honestly recall how it was to play now,one was a learner then.`

noisy
22nd Nov 2004, 15:45
I think a lot of it is in the setup. A skilled and patient person can get the best out of a strat (which after all has a lot of adjustable bits).

tony draper
22nd Nov 2004, 15:58
Thats true, me posh sunday go to meeting Fiesta red with gold bits Strat has a deep C or D cross section maple neck, me every day strat has a very nice Squire shallow cross section neck and has a much better action,and is def a lot eaisier to play unfortunatly tiz a rosewood fingerboard so one is keeping toot for a nice Strat neck with shallow cross section with Maple fingerboard.
One is still seeking some vintage pickups.

noisy
22nd Nov 2004, 16:00
Hmm, I was actually thinking of the springs and other mechanical bits.

tony draper
22nd Nov 2004, 16:20
I have a vintage trem bridge, the block on this is a sold heafty chunk of iron,the modern ones use a cast alloy of some kind and are a tad weedy, the mass of the block effects the sustain.
As far as I know the Strats with Hard tail bridges where still routed for the standard Trem bridge, one is thinking getting a hard tail bridge for one of me guitars, just a case of unscrewing one and fitting tother it int rocket science, setting up the tremolo to float can be a bitch though.
Alus thought the fender Trem system was a bad piece of engineering.
Had a blimp at the Flloyd Rose system,but oy vey! the prices.

Parapunter
22nd Nov 2004, 19:47
I s the hard tail the with through body stringing but not the trem plate on the arse?? That's what mine is. Has a flying bridge, but no trem rod attachy hole. Bit of a committee axe, mine. Me dad still has a hofner verithin stereo which is a bit of kit. It's a Gibbo 335 copy with all fancy electrickery insides.

Huck
22nd Nov 2004, 20:21
Mid-70's Strat body, Telecaster neck, Humbucker pickup, Crate amp. Got her in a pawn shop in Atlanta in 1987 and we are wed till death.

I can still manage "Highway Song" by Blackfoot if I crack all my knuckles first....

tony draper
22nd Nov 2004, 20:52
Dunno Mr Para never had me mits on a hard tailed Strat, if you take off the plate on the underside and it has springs its a tremolo bridge,it might be wedged so it doesn't move, some chaps do that if they don't use the trem, you can get a new trem arm for about a fiver, but if it is fixed leave it like that, let the new owner sort it, as I said previously, getting the trem to balance properly and to stay in tune, can be a bit of a fiddle.
If there int no hole to screw the arm into, it sounds like a hard tail bridge
:cool:

Parapunter
23rd Nov 2004, 06:52
Then it deffy is. No tremolo spring block on mine. Always thought the through stringing added to the strat sustain. Besides, if yer good enough on the fingers, yer don't need no tremolo:cool:

Now a tele with that B string shifty thingy, that'd be a bit of fun I think.

c-bert
23rd Nov 2004, 07:21
Yeah I blocked up the trem on mine because I couldn't get the damn thing to stay in tune. Removed the springs and bunged in a bit o'wood. Problem solved.
I'm sure it has affected the tone but I'm afraid my mere human ears can detect no difference. :ok:

Devlin Carnet
23rd Nov 2004, 08:54
Could never get notes to bend high up on the neck of the Strat I used to have, They allways spoiled on the fingerboard,
I believe Clapton has them specially made to be able to do same.

Capn Notarious
23rd Nov 2004, 18:18
I believe Clapton has them specially made to be able to do same

Just a small point: shouldn't you have typed Eric or Mr Eric?

tony draper
23rd Nov 2004, 18:57
Just buy super slinkies, one can bend whole chords, got buggas like iron railings on me other one,big meaty strings with a wound third,one likes playing the sixties instrumentals, yer needs em fat for that twang.
Buggas on ones fingertips though.