PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh tree police.

Runway 31
22nd Nov 2004, 10:23
I noted this in today's Scotsman. Wouldn't want a visit from the tree police

Source: The Scotsman
22/11/04

Airport declares a no-grow zone

ALASTAIR DALTON
TRANSPORT CORRESPONDENT

It is the no-grow zone. Trees and shrubs which attract birds have been banned from within eight miles of Edinburgh airport to prevent flocks causing potentially disastrous collisions with aircraft.

Berry-producing trees such as rowan and hawthorn have been outlawed by the operator of the fast-growing airport to cut the risk of birdstrikes, which costs the aviation industry £750 million a year.

A BAA spokesman said residents with large gardens who planted many such trees could be visited by airport officials who would explain the risks to them.

However, he said that they would not necessarily seek to have the trees removed.

BAA - which has powers to attach conditions to planning decisions - wants such foliage to be excluded from the landscaping of major developments around the airport, such as office complexes and tram and rail lines.

The airport operator also wants to minimise any water features being included in such landscaping because they could lure migrating species into the eight-mile radius "bird hazard zone".

The Royal Bank of Scotland has already been prevented from building a fountain and pond outside its new headquarters at nearby Gogarburn, while planned water features at the Edinburgh Park business park were reduced in size.

BAA’s latest concern is to ensure the proposed tram link to the airport from the city centre is not bordered by bird-attracting vegetation.

Officials have raised concerns to MSPs considering a Parliamentary bill for the project because it is classed as a railway line which means it is not covered by the normal planning process.

Anne Follin, the airport’s planning and development manager, said: "It’s a very serious issue."

Transport Initiatives Edinburgh, the city council firm heading the tram scheme, said it would fully consult BAA over such safety issues.

Other measures include keeping long grass around the airport, which is less attractive to ground-foraging birds and could also hide predators.

Airport staff also keep runways clear of birds by playing recordings of distressed rooks from loudspeakers on vehicles, which scare other birds away.

Dr Rowena Langston, a senior research biologist with the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds said species attracted by berry-bearing trees included winter-flocking birds such as thrush, redwing and fieldfare, who arrived from breeding grounds in Scandinavia.

Dr Langston said: "Single birds are unlikely to cause problems for aircraft, but there is clearly potential for a flock to cause a serious incident."

Airlines such as EasyJet said birdstrikes were a persistent problem, causing damage to engines.

In one of the most recent incidents, a Loganair plane had to be taken out of service last week after being hit by a flock of geese as it came in to land at Kirkwall in Orkney.

witchdoctor
22nd Nov 2004, 11:30
Hmm, only a mater of time until that pesky Bass Rock disappears too I presume. :hmm:

PaperTiger
22nd Nov 2004, 15:26
Eight miles ? I assume that applies only under the approaches, otherwise it seems a bit excessive.

flying scotsman
25th Nov 2004, 16:51
almost wet myself. 8 miles in edi ? that covers 400 million litres of water in the firth and the river amond ! no trees out as far as the bass rock and over to cumbernauld!

I can see it now, city of edinburgh coincil sniper squad........tourists in princes street will be shot on sight from the castle terrace for feeding the pigeons.

probably thought out by some wee lefty with leather patches on his elbows. :rolleyes:

Meeb
26th Nov 2004, 14:34
I think you will find the Bass Rock is a lot further than 8 miles... :rolleyes: even if it is the largest colony of Ganets in the world...

Anything which reduces bird strike threat has to be a good thing...

ClickRich
26th Nov 2004, 14:56
It's true, it is 8miles- well, 13km actually. It is now a CAA requirement (under CAP680) for aerodromes to be consulted over planning applications in that radius. The aerodromes are looking to safeguard against things being introduced which attract birds (I shouldn't think the Firth will be diverted or dried up any day soon).

This has been more widely taken as a precedent that airports are responsible for assessing the bird strike risk across the area- hence Edinburgh's actions on particular plant and tree species.

It is also true to say that the position of the hazard within the radius will change the risk it poses and therefore how airports will treat them; i.e. position relative to flightpaths etc.

Golf Charlie Charlie
26th Nov 2004, 18:22
Meeb is right. Edinburth airport to the Bass Rock is 28 miles as the crow flies (about 46 kilometres).

enicalyth
27th Nov 2004, 08:26
Hi Guys!

You mean Inchkeith. 9nm on 65/245M. Closer in there is Cramond which you can walk to when the tide is out. (Used to be popular pub there, Cramond Inn). Bass Rock is 25nm on 80/260M. Bell Rock is 44nm on 55/235M. Thus if you overfly BELLR in 35nm there is INCHK and 9nm after that EGPH. You're right not a tree in sight either in the sea or on the rocks. But then who would call it RAF Turnhouse when Turnhouse Hill is miles away and who would invent another Turn place called Turnberry and stick navaids called TRN all over it? (Ex-UAS who couldn't tell one rock from another and learned the hard way).

Bouncing Tigger
27th Nov 2004, 20:49
Hi Guys,

All this fuss at EDI, take a lesson from EMA where there is Donington Park Race Track at ONE mile on the centre line of climbout 27 or approch on 09. There are several big events at the track through the year including the motor cycle GP, pop concerts and a Sunday market every week so nearly every Monday there are flocks of seaguls and other birds attracted by the rubish left behind.
EMA way of solving the whole problem it to add to the ATIS "Increaced bird activity over Donington Park" and this fixes everything??....