PDA

View Full Version : Laptop screen stopped working

Tamer
22nd Nov 2004, 09:38
Hi, what could I do about a laptop screen that has stopped working. Is it run through a fuse ? Can I replace it, would that be hard to do and what would be the rough cost ? Has anyone any experience ? The Laptop works fine with an external monitor.

Thanks

Captain Sensible
22nd Nov 2004, 11:54
Hi,

screen on my Compaq Presario failed, within warranty, thank goodness. It was the backlighting, and the whole screen had to be replaced, cost about 350 pounds!!!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Nov 2004, 12:26
Tamer,

Before you send the Notebook in for repair, make sure you did not turn the monitor off with the keyboard. Most Notebooks have a function key that allows you to send video to just the Screen, to just the VGA Port, and to both the Screen and the VGA Port at the same time.

Take Care,

Richard

Tamer
23rd Nov 2004, 08:50
Thanks for the replies

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Nov 2004, 23:31
Tamer,

Any luck?

Richard

ColdFiltered
24th Nov 2004, 21:05
You didn't mention which laptop you've got. It's not a Dell is it?

Tinstaafl
25th Nov 2004, 15:47
When you say it's failed, exactly how has it failed? As Richard suggests, check you haven't accidently switched the graphics output away from the screen.

If that's not the case then it could be either the imaging system &/or the backlight system. If you look closely while shining a bright light at the screen can you see a faint image? If so then it's the backlighting that's stuffed.

This is commonly due to one of two things: the inverter that converts battery DC voltage to AC, or the cathode ray tube itself.

Typically inverter boards are easy & relatively cheap to replace. Just be careful about residual voltages etc. The backlight itself can be more of a problem. There are quite a few places that sell backlights but you'll have to disassemble the screen to find out what's needed.

Therein lies the bugger. Not all backlights are easily removed from the screen. If that's all OK then the new light will likely need some soldering to connect it. The lights are very fragile so be gentle! Some places not only sell the lights but offer a fitting service as well.

If it's the imaging system then you're in more trouble. If you're lucky - and it's the graphics chip that's stuffed - then it might be possible to unplug the graphics chip & insert a replacement. Many laptops, however, don't use socketed graphics chips, using surface mounted chips instead. If you're good with a soldering iron & have the necessary heat sinks then replacing the failed chip might still be an option.

Otherwise if it's the LCD part of the screen you're pretty well stuffed. Ebay have many screens for sale. You will probably find a suitable replacement to fit your laptop, possibly even cheaply...

One last possibility: One of the wires might be shorting/open circuit between the chassis & the screen. Those wires get a lot of bending & moving in their lifetime.

Good luck!

ColdFiltered
25th Nov 2004, 16:21
When I asked if it was a Dell it was because I had the same problem as you and managed to fix it. Does your laptop have a reed switch or a small button that operates when the display lid is closed?