PDA

View Full Version : The Smithead Effect

karrank
22nd Nov 2004, 02:50
I think I've detected previously unobserved effects of the Smithead mania of ATC as enemies.

Had a shift last week with scads of VFR at night flights involving flight in the terminal area. Some had flight plans, others not, but all asked for a clearance in what could only be described as an aggressive manner. One gave almost comical emphasis to "VIA MELBOURNE". When cleared more or less immediately via their requested route they all sounded more or less... dissappointed. :confused:

Another (IFR) flight later in the week had obviously got a kick out of pushing the 'DCT TO' button, and was going to graze the edge of C airspace (in an area that will become G airspace on Thursday.) He didn't ask for a clearance, but (of course) I gave him one. He sounded unbearably contrite (somehow imagining I was pencilling on yellow forms???) and offered to remain clear. I told him he was cleared as he was tracking, yet he still offset himself a smidge:confused:

MoFo
22nd Nov 2004, 04:28
They will rapidly get over it.

The important thing is that common sense has finally prevailed.

Uncommon Sense
22nd Nov 2004, 07:55
The thing about Common Sense - it's not that common.

QSK?
22nd Nov 2004, 21:59
I'm not saying the incidents listed above didn't happen but I must say that EVERY IFR pilot that I have encountered HAS NOT been in favour of the NAS proposals implemented last year, nor have they had a kind word to say about DS.

In fact, most are fully supportive of the role of ATC in maintaining airspace safety and the way controllers generally go out of their way to accommodate most IFR requirements if possible.

So, maintain some perspective guys; don't fall into the trap of slipping into paranoia.