PDA

View Full Version : Sabena ramp rash?

Danny
21st Nov 2004, 19:04
Anyone know anything about the incident pictured below? No idea when or where but received the pictures and would like to know if anyone can fill in the details.

http://www.pprune.org/images/Sabena.jpg

Photo
21st Nov 2004, 19:19
Some info here

http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/oo-sbz/photo.shtml

Steve

scraglad
21st Nov 2004, 19:24
It states both aircraft were repaired and returned to service, was it an FR botch job,I would have guessed the parked aircraft would have been for the scrap yard!!

Algy
21st Nov 2004, 19:49
Where've you been Danny? A story so old it's new I guess.

rgds, The Introducer.

Sabena loses second Airbus after Brussels collision
Chris Jasper, London (02Sep98, 19:05 GMT, 1489 words)

Belgian flag-carrier Sabena has lost another aircraft from its longhaul fleet following an incident in which an Airbus Industrie A330 taxied into a Boeing 737 in Brussels - just four days after one of the airline's A340s was damaged when its undercarriage collapsed on landing at the same airport.

In the most recent incident, which happened at around 20:45 yesterday, the twin engine A330-300 - one of three in the Sabena fleet - collided with a 737-300 operated by Belgian charter carrier Sobelair.

The A330, registration OO-SFM, had - ironically - been designated to cover for the damaged A340 OO-SCW on an evening flight to New York, and was moving from the Sabena maintenance hangar to a gate at the main terminal building when the accident happened.

The Airbus, which had a mechanic at the controls, apparently suffered a failure of its hydraulic brakes and taxied into the 737, lodging its nose in the Boeing's fuselage and causing significant damage to both aircraft.

Following the incident some 229 US-bound passengers had to be accommodated in Brussels overnight before being placed on flights with other airlines today.

The A340 that was damaged on Saturday is likely to take at least four months to repair, and with the A330 now out also out of commission, Sabena says it is looking to lease at least one A340 for use on longhaul routes.

The carrier, which usually operates four A340s, says it hopes to find aircraft available as a result of the economic downturn in East Asia.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news

WHBM
21st Nov 2004, 20:19
The 737 certainly looks a toss-up for whether it was repairable (especially as 11 years old), but it was back in service 3 months later. It's with DBA in Germany now. Fortunately it looks like it was hit in the fuselage frames but little else.

Danny
21st Nov 2004, 21:01
Algy, I guess it must be old age creeping up on me. :{ Someone sent me the pics a week or so ago and there was no other commentary on the email.

There was a hint of uncertainty when I saw the Sabena logo. Ah well, off to the aviation history & nostalgia forum for this one. :\

hobie
21st Nov 2004, 21:33
I nearly dropped my coffee when I spotted a post by "Danny" being moved on to far flung pastures!!! :p

Very dramatic photos - never seen them before :ok:

N1 Vibes
21st Nov 2004, 23:40
Looks like another case of the Belgian rutting season. Sombody fetch a bucket of cold water those damn a/c are at it again!

Halfwayback
22nd Nov 2004, 20:21
I saw it half an hour after it happened as we reported after a nightstop in BRU (years ago!)! Our gloating engineer ran me over there to see it close to. The 737 had the most massive 'bite' out of the back between the tail and trailing edge of the mainplane.

One very shaken engineer was surrounded by his colleagues outside the hangar! He had apparently been taxying it rather than it being towed!

Great pictures, Danny

HWB :D

sawotanao
24th Nov 2004, 21:09
Thats one way of removing the hat racks!

jabberwok
25th Nov 2004, 01:49
Curious to know what the speed at impact was..

Anyone hazard a guess?

jabberwok