PDA

View Full Version : Re-Writing the logbook is it legal?

RowleyUK
21st Nov 2004, 18:06
My log book is full of tip-ex. I am considering re writing it for the day when i need to show it at interview. I know i will lose the stamps from my flying schools so i want to know if it is legal to do so.
I only have 200hrs so the time input is not a problem.

Cheers

R

The Greaser
21st Nov 2004, 19:46
Well I must say that I have never had my logbook scrutinised at any interview although occasionally you may have to produce the last couple of pages for an application to an airline. I would not rewrite it, just leave it as it is, I dont think you would be rejected for having tippex, crossings out etc. as long as you have the requisite experience.

Best of luck,

The Greaser

rotatrim
21st Nov 2004, 21:27
I'd be suspicious of a perfect logbook - it would make me wonder if the hours had been "manufactured".

Far better to stick will the tippex and character of the original, I think.

Pub User
21st Nov 2004, 21:32
I've had mine scrutinized at nearly every interview I've been to. I've also re-written it once, to transfer from small-format PPL style to a CAA professional style. I got the job with the new one.

Luke SkyToddler
21st Nov 2004, 21:50
I rewrote my first logbook way back when I was looking for my first job and was a bit concerned about the fact that my logbook looked like a rat's nest. Fortunately my old school used stickers as opposed to stamps for logbook certifications, and I had no problem cutting out the entire sticker and gluing it into the new logbook, thus preserving all those priceless signatures of all those flying instructors who are now long gone into the airlines.

I imagine it would be tricky, but you could do something similar with stamps?

I'm onto my 3rd logbook now and it looks even more like a rat's nest, but I'm damned if I'm going to rewrite all that lot! If I was starting again from scratch I'd use a computerised logbook and be done with it.

eagerbeaver
22nd Nov 2004, 07:50
Its no problem, i have had two log books stolen and it is a ccomplete nightmare but all you need is an affadavit and you are reet! make an appointment to see your solicitor. I would recommend having two logbooks or a computer one, i started to use skylog pro but its a bit of aggro to update it as the format for data entry is not that user friendly.

Some people do have neat logbooks, i for one do not it is a disgrace.

Cap Loko
22nd Nov 2004, 09:45
I started with small student pilot logbooks. Later I wanted something more professional and copied everything in the new larger logbook which i am still using today. I'm keeping the old logs in case someone likes to see signatures etc.
On the other hand, in my country (the Netherlands) a computerized logbook printout is allowed so i am looking for a good program in combination with the paper logbook.

b.t.w. I can't find anything in regulations regarding duplicating a logbook.

witchdoctor
22nd Nov 2004, 11:58
Agree with Cap Loko.

If you want something nice and neat, rewrite it all into a new one, but keep the old one with all the stamps and signatures (and Tippex) just in case.

However, what's the betting you get no further than the first page of the new one before the Tippex is out again? ;)

pablo
22nd Nov 2004, 17:46
Hi!

What about our old friend Excel?

It's great for logging the data, and calculate IFR, multi and specific type time. And I don't see why it wouldn't be ok for an interview or authorities.

And there is always a current easily available version, and supported by a big company, which can be used for a million of things. Otherwise you have to spend some cash in a just-for-logging-your-flight-time program which in 4 or 5 years could be dated (and there is now new versions 'cos the sofware developer went bankrupt) and you would need to enter all the data in a brand new program. Of course... if you are asked to e-mail a summary of your flight time you would just have to attach an Excel file.

What are your opinions/experiences?

Regards,

Pablo

snafu
22nd Nov 2004, 20:57
How about adding info from a Military log-book? I did 30 hrs as a flying scholarship before joining up and logged them in a Pooleys civilian log-book that I got at the flying club. It's slightly bigger than postcard size and I'm sure I'll need a more comprehensive one if I leave the Service and start flying commercially.

Since my flying scholarship, I've added the hours from my fixed wing flying training and a few extras that I flew to complete the PPL, but the last entry was in 1995! I've now flown another 1400hrs rotary that don't appear in my civilian log-book.

If I start commercial training, can I just put a single entry to account for all my previous hours and get them signed off by an examiner/FTO CFI or equivalent?

Fokker 100
23rd Nov 2004, 08:02
For those interested in a computerized logbook:

Have a look at: www.fliteware.co.uk

Works great and is JAR-FCL approved.
If you make a mistake you can correct it very easily, so no more Tip-Ex!