PDA

View Full Version : Onan got a J.O.B!

Onan the Clumsy
21st Nov 2004, 17:39
It finally happened. After a year of looking, I finally got a job doing some computer stuff. The market definately isn't what it was five or six years ago (though I have to admit I suck at jobhunting).

The funny thing is that I have immediately switched from moping around getting bored at home to waiting anxiously for the next evening or weekend so that I can have some spare time :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm earning 69% of what I used to earn, but I'm learning some new stuff, so that all helps. It'll make it interesting and it's good to get new skills.

So, for anyone else out there whose looking, good luck, keep it up and you'll get there and for those who are tired of their daily grind, be assured that working is definately over-rated, (though the money does help).

And for all you tight arsed gits out there, I think it's time for a donation to prune. You're all welcome to join me :}

Jerricho
21st Nov 2004, 18:16
HEY!!! Well done me old!

Does this mean you'll be cutting down on your time hanging out here? Or planning evil deeds to unleash unto Jet Blast.

:ok:

21st Nov 2004, 18:47
Did I read that right. Yov've got a job and you're getting a 69

Guern
21st Nov 2004, 18:49
Well done Onan hope all goes well.

Jerricho
21st Nov 2004, 18:56
How happy is Mrs Onan about all this?

Hilico
21st Nov 2004, 19:16
Well done Onan. Not mainframes is it?

They cut me loose 2 years and 2 months ago and I'm still looking. In the last month or so, I've had a couple of calls from an agency that wants to employ me, but use me at a customer site - the customer being the one I was working at 2 years and 2 months ago. And the money being 50% of what I was getting.

I'll stick with various concurrent temp jobs I've got going, thank you, until that happy day when they realise that 'the going rate' isn't the one they want to pay, it's the one they have to pay. And if that day never comes? Well, you know, I'm I lot happier now than I was 2 years and 2 months ago, and that counts for a lot.

Unwell_Raptor
21st Nov 2004, 19:23
May you continue, if in a less clumsy manner.

Miserlou
21st Nov 2004, 21:16
Commiserations are in order then.

You mention you get 69% of your previous salary. With a little planning, dental appointments, deaths in family and such like, you could get yourself back on to the same hourly rate. And of course if you have already buried anyone you can do it again because your new employer doesn't know about it.

Or you could introduce them to the principle of pay-related work. You simply stop when their credit runs out.

Good luck with it.

Stockpicker
21st Nov 2004, 22:22
way to go, Onan ! Clearly clumsiness is now an asset in the jobseeking world, all JBers should nip down their local jobcentre and help the inmates break a few bits and bobs. :}

Feeton Terrafirma
21st Nov 2004, 23:05
I feel congratulations are in order Mr Clumsy, and I truely mean that as another of the IT brigad who suddenly found they were no longer required a few years ago.

Good luck with it, and at 69% you are probably doing pretty well in the current market.

Onan the Clumsy
22nd Nov 2004, 03:01
Thanks everyone. I just read an article in the local rag called "Advice to tech graduates: Choose another career." :(

It mentioned a lot of graduates were cooling their heels and tossing playing cards into an upturned top hat in a seventh floor walkup with a naked bulb hanging from the ceiling competing weakly against the afternoon sunlight fighting its way through the fly spotted window.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

sprocket
22nd Nov 2004, 08:33
Onan, now make yourself useful and get over to the Computer and Internet forum and start fixing everyones problems. ;)

MadsDad
22nd Nov 2004, 08:36
Congratulations Onan.

Having spent a year (and 20 days) 'resting' between jobs and it wasn't nice. (Except for a spell over the Xmas as a picker for a local warehouse. Money was crap but it did wonders for my fitness). Best bit was when I finally did get a job it started on my birthday - one of the best pressies I've had.

Onan the Clumsy
22nd Nov 2004, 13:19
MD. I'd love to respond...but I have to get ready for work :}

MadsDad
22nd Nov 2004, 15:28
No probs, Onan. I was at work - waiting for the techies to install the installations and connect the connections so I can use the system.

I still am.

(Edited to add. This was supposed to be installed an running last Tuesday).

flynverted
22nd Nov 2004, 16:16
Congrats, Mr. Onan. :ok: Uncle Sam needs those income tax dollars. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions on how to pass the time while unemployed?? Going on 3 months here, and maflsc is about ready to call the boys in white to cart me off to the funny farm. :confused: