PDA

View Full Version : Signing Passport photo's

tescoapp
21st Nov 2004, 11:14
Any one know if pilots are deemed to be able to sign photographs etc.

I did one the other day using my professional degree which i might add i have being doing for years with no refusals.

One Captain thought i was doing it as a pilot and "started" which caused much confussion for the baggage handler. And the captain in a huff because we sent it off anyway.

Anyone else sign these forms as a pilot or know of any rulings.

tescoapp

Just an other number
21st Nov 2004, 14:26
Look, this is not rocket science. It took me three minutes to get to this site (http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/faqs/faq.asp?strAreaNo=321_1&intelement=454)
and here's the list of suitable persons to countersign applications and photos -

ACCEPTABLE COUNTERSIGNATURES

* Accountant
* Articled Clerk of a Limited Company
* Assurance Agent of Recognised Company
* Bank/Building Society Official
* Barrister
* Broker
* Chairman/Director of Limited Company
* Chemist
* Chiropodist
* Christian Science Practitioner
* Commissioner of Oaths
* Councillor: Local or County
* Civil Servant (permanent)
* Dentist
* Engineer (with professional Qualifications)
* Fire Service Official
* Funeral Director
* Insurance agent (full time) of a recognised Company
* Journalist
* Justice of the Peace
* Legal Secretary (members and fellows of the Institute of legal secretaries)(sic)
* Local Government Officer
* Manager/Personnel Officer (of Limited Company)
* Member of Parliament
* Merchant Navy Officer
* Minister of a recognised religion
* Nurse (SRN and SEN)
* Officer of the armed services (Active or Retired)
* Optician
* Person with Honours (eg OBE MBE etc)(sic)
* Person with recognised qualification (eg BSc, PhD etc)(sic)
* Photographer (Professional)
* Police Officer
* Post Office Official
* President/Secretary of a recognised organisation
* Salvation Army Officer
* Social Worker
* Solicitor
* Surveyor
* Teacher, Lecturer
* Trade Union Officer
* Travel Agency (Qualified)
* Valuers and auctioneers (fellow and associate members of the incorporated society)(sic)
* Warrant officers and Chief Petty Officers

Or persons of similar standing to the above, working or retired, are acceptable as countersignatories.

So I fit into 3 categories.
No pilots though.
Amusing to see that journalists are OK.

tescoapp
21st Nov 2004, 14:46
Christian Science Practitioner whats one of them?

Cheers

chiglet
21st Nov 2004, 14:50
Air Traffic Controller :rolleyes:
watp,iktch

Onan the Clumsy
21st Nov 2004, 15:06
I just sent my passport in for renewal, so I've been through this very exersize. I got the lady at the bank to sign for me, but the thing is, I think this is a strange anachronism that harks back to the nineteenth centuary and should be abolished.

Firstly, it means that people in certain jobs are deemed as more...responsible? than other, equally demanding professions. WTF? Chiropodist, Salvation Army General? Fecking Travel Agents! What about Computer programmer? or as has been pointed out, Professional pilot. What about my mate what owns a roofing company? Apparently he's not good enough.

They include warnings to say they'll follow up with the reference, but I bet they don't. How would they anyway? Write a letter? Pay a visit? :rolleyes:

It's just stupid and pointless in a typically English way and should be done away with :*

There, that feels better :ok:

Guern
21st Nov 2004, 15:07
Journalists How did they get on the list!!!

Unwell_Raptor
21st Nov 2004, 15:16
As a magistrate I have signed hundreds of passports, along with shotgun certificates and others. For twenty years my informal and unofficial fee has been one pint, which has never, in my experience, been begrudged. Now any old Christian Scientist can sign. I don't mind that from a religious view, but what about the beer I shall lose?

Wizzard
21st Nov 2004, 15:27
I have signed several time for friends and have had no kick-back. I am a non-graduate professional pilot. and just put "airline pilot" as my qualification to sign.

Wiz

21st Nov 2004, 15:48
So, as a licenced aircraft engineer (licenced by the CAA), I can sign an application, but a pilot (also licenced by the CAA), can't . (unless they bury people in their spare time)

There must be a logical explanation, but I can't see what it is.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
21st Nov 2004, 16:00
Strange. As a commercial helicopter pilot, i.e. an ATPL(H) holder I was told by the British High Commission in Lagos that I could sign them. I've done 4 up till now with no refusals.:confused:

rotatrim
21st Nov 2004, 16:30
I believe that the signatory must also be a British Citizen in the case of applications for British passports (makes sense).

I've been asked several times but have had to decline due to lack of said citizenship - Irish isn't acceptable.

(PS Why has this been moved to Jet Blast?)

tony draper
21st Nov 2004, 16:48
Oh Dear Mr Raptor, the Sainted Thomas Moor got himself denoggined for taking a pint pot off a punter, admitedly other things were taken into concideration, and the pot was of silver.
:E

Jerricho
21st Nov 2004, 17:21
Rota, I think it was prolly a pre-emptive stike before the colourful comments started.

Person with Honours

WTF!?!

tony draper
21st Nov 2004, 19:46
Ships Captains could marry folk and order their execution, can Airline Captains do that?.
:cool:

The Greaser
21st Nov 2004, 19:51
I wish they could drapes!

BALIX
22nd Nov 2004, 07:53
As the last bit of the list said:

Or persons of similar standing to the above, working or retired, are acceptable as countersignatories

So there you go. Professional pilots are off the hook. Sure beats asking your doctor who would probably charge you as tenner.

I've countersigned a couple of applications as an Air Traffic Controller, as did a friend of mine when we had to apply for separate passports for the kids. He actually got a phone call from the passport office to check the details, so they do follow up some of the countersignatories.

BlueWolf
22nd Nov 2004, 07:59
Signing Passport photo's what? Who is Passport photo, and what does he or she possess which may require signing?

Or did you not mean to put that apostrophe where it didn't need to be?

takenthe5thamendment
22nd Nov 2004, 08:12
They include warnings to say they'll follow up with the reference, but I bet they don't. How would they anyway? Write a letter? Pay a visit?

Indeed they do, on occasion, request clarification of the status of the person signing the pics.

I verified my next door neighbours ID and was telephoned by the Passport Office who asked where I worked etc.
I then had to fax them my Professional Qualifications and also my payslip (amount earned I blanked out) before they would issue a new passport.

A male friend of mine also verified someone's passport application and received a phone call asking the same things and requesting documentation by fax.

eal401
22nd Nov 2004, 08:24
If you are signing a photo, do you not have to have known the person for 2 years?

Avtrician
22nd Nov 2004, 08:35
Here in the land of Oz, in the last few years the Govt has got sensible for a change.

Anyone on the electoral roll ( all ozies over 18 must be registered) and who has known the person for at least 2 yrs can vouch for some one. On occasion you will be contacted to verify your information.

Evening Star
22nd Nov 2004, 10:15
Had an interesting incident here in the Ivory Tower. Student gets lecturer colleague to sign the passport photo (as we do - ES makes at least 3 on original list of worthiness :cool: ). Student than messes up form, fills out new form and, to avoid hassling lecturer again, forges original signature. Passport Office notice difference between signatures and contact lecturer. Student invited for no tea no biscuit interview by lecturer. Apparently there were tears in office as said colleague does not take kindly to idiots. Took some very quick talking by lecturer to convince Passport Office that honest but stupid act by student. Much impressed by thoroughness of Passport Office in checking applications. Also, useful story to frighten students when they come seeking my signature.:E

lasernigel
22nd Nov 2004, 11:07
Funeral Director??? Thought it was someone who has known you well for the last 2 years,Unless you're unlucky and have had a lot of deaths in the family,the only other time you'd be seeing one is when they're plugging up your orifices.:uhoh:

banana9999
22nd Nov 2004, 11:36
Person with recognised qualification (eg BSc, PhD etc)(sic)
I'm sure PPL, ATCO etc. fits in with the above. Stop throwing your toys out of the pram

MadsDad
22nd Nov 2004, 13:39
LN. Why not. Mate of mine does it for a living, known him years, presume he would be entitled to sign for me. (Stroll into bar of local, ask barmaid "Stiffy been in yet?". I assume he knows his nickname but it has never been used in his presence when I have been there).

The other thing about being qualified to sign though is that, as a Director of a Limited Company, I was officially qualified until last year. Then, due to an abscence of work, the company I ran was closed down. All legal, above board, no debts (not even to the Inland Revenue :{) but I am not now qualified on the list. Does this make me a lesser person than I was a year ago?

Blacksheep
23rd Nov 2004, 04:24
I've signed a few and the British High Commission checked up on me to make sure of my suitability. They don't bother any more, but I suppose that's because I'm on record. ?

I do enjoy the joke. Expatriate by birth and now expatriate by choice, when I first applied for a passport I was told go away because, just like Cliff Richard and Spike Milligan, I was a horrible "Johnny Foreigner." South Africa had a similar opinion, so why does it say South African on my UK issue European Driving Licence?

BTW rotatrim according to what it says on that website link to the UK Passport Office, Irish countersignatories are quite acceptable too. I don't know if we British are allowed to countersign Irish passport applications though.

maninblack
23rd Nov 2004, 07:13
MiB signed one in 1990 and within a week had a very polite "Who the F* are you?" letter togther with a form to fill in and explain who the F* I was.

The passport was received back a week later.

MiB has never been questioned since.

gingernut
23rd Nov 2004, 14:00
At first, its a bit of a wheeze, but soon becomes a pain in the butt.

Like the idea of charging a pint though.