PDA

View Full Version : Favorites Icons

BLK 33
21st Nov 2004, 10:13
Until a while ago when items were put into Favorites I used to get the icons showing that came with them from that Favorite, however now all I get is the Favorite saved BUT with an IE icon. Presumably there is a way of restoring, just I can't figure it!

I daresay it's blindingly obvious but can't see for looking.

Anyone know?

phreegreens
21st Nov 2004, 12:27
These are known as favicons, some websites have them set. They download into your temporary internet files (cache) when you visit one of these sites, when you clear the cache, or files get tipped out as you are reaching your limits, the icons disappear and you revert to having the IE default.

Solution, it's a bit of a faff..

1: Go to the website that has a favicon set, airliners.net has one and enter the web address as http://www.airliners.net/favicon.ico and you will see the icon.

2: Right click on this and save it to your hard dive, I've got a separate folder Favicons, making sure when you save it you use a .ico extension, not the default that pops up, usually .bmp.

3: Right click on the bookmark entry in IE and go to properties, click on the "Change Icon" button and point this to the icon you have just saved.

.. and there you go, your favourite icons will be saved forever, or you may just think there is better things to do with your life and stick with the default IE ones..!

Although, I have to say if you have a lot of entries in your favourites or links, it does make it a whole lot easier with individual icons.

g'luck.. :ok:

BLK 33
21st Nov 2004, 15:56
phreegreens,

you're a top bloke/blokess, it works, but it could take me a while to do them all, as you say....... ah well here goes...I could be gone for some time.

Thanks for your help.