PDA

View Full Version : Reading material etc

NEW-CREW
21st Nov 2004, 00:14
Hi all,

just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of good reading materials or cd-roms that would be useful for beginning my ppl. Ive not yet started but think ive found a cheap but good flying school, but would be nice 2 hear what books etc everyone found useful, where i could get them for and for how much.

Thanks

Whirlygig
21st Nov 2004, 09:03
There are basically two sets:-

Trevor Thom series or Jeremy Pratt series.

This has been asked many times before (usually in the Private Flying forum). Please do a search on "PPL ground school/study" whatever and chapter and verse will be laid before you. As for where you can get them, there are numerous flight suppliers on the internet - eg Transair, Pooleys, Flightstore, AFE,.. you usually get their catalogues free with one or other aviation magazine. Costs £20-£25 per book?

Cheers

Whirlygig

PS - I am assuming you mean UK here as well.

NEW-CREW
21st Nov 2004, 17:14
Hi, thanks for that information.

I searched on the internet and found this starter pack it contains various books and equipment, if anybody could tell me whether this is what i would actually need or if it is just basically crap and if it is good value:

£195.00

PPL1 Flying Training
PPL2 Air Law, Operational Procedures, Communications
PPL3 Navigation, Meteorology
PPL4 Principles of Flight, Aircraft General Knowledge, Flight Performance and Planning
PPL5 Human Factors, Flight Safety
The UK Aeronautical Information Manual
Questions and Answers for the PPL
UK VFR Flight Guide
AS-5 Navigation ruler
AP-1 Navigation protractor
AVP-1 VFR plotter
ARC-1 flight computer
VB1S folding kneeboard and VFR pad
AFE Pilot’s logbook
Four colour Pen Set
CAA 1:500,000 aeronautical chart (please specify area required)
AFE Soft sided flight case

thanks again and sorry for sounding thick and not knowing too much.

heinzmanm
21st Nov 2004, 20:32
Just a recommendation for anyone planning on buying the Trevor Thom books - I managed to save around £5 per book just by searching the Internet for the best deal. This adds up to a saving of around £35 if you're buying all 7 books.
For information, I bought mine from Swotbooks.Com (http://www.swotbooks.com)

Matthew

Whirlygig
21st Nov 2004, 20:41
Yup - everything you need is there but I wouldn't recommend getting everything at once since you may wish to take some advice from your instructor with respect to equipment.

Just get a couple of books at a time and work through them would be my best advice although this depends on your timescales and whether you are doing your PPL with regard to commercial training later via the modular route.

Cheers

Whirlygig

scameron77
21st Nov 2004, 22:45
Mate,

You may want to check out thread I started a few weeks ago, shoudl have all the info you need. It goes a little off topic half way through as most threads on here seem to do but I hope I managed to bring it back on near the end.

http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150662

Stephen

NEW-CREW
21st Nov 2004, 23:19
Cheers for that link, think i kinda know what im looking for now. Just out of interest you said at the end that you did your flying in the states, do u mind me asking where your doing it and if you've found it worth while.

Thanks again!:ok:

Oh and by the way, did you ever find out if the Oxford CD-Rom was any good? Only because I find it better to learn interactively.

scameron77
23rd Nov 2004, 00:42
I've replied to my original post New Crew, just don't want to double up the threads too much or the Moderators get peeved.

You can check out my reply there.

Stephen