PDA

View Full Version : Films on DVD - Why?

Onan the Clumsy
20th Nov 2004, 13:37
I just don't get it.

Apart from a few really good films like The Good The Bad and The Ugly and Snatch, ok and Airplane why collect films on DVD?

To me, a film is inherrently a one time entertainment and after all there are so many olf them you wouldn't really have time to watch them more than once anyway.

Then again, I only own a handfull of CDs

What am I missing?

Binoculars
20th Nov 2004, 13:45
You obviously don't have daughters who know EVERY LINE of Beaches, While You Were Sleeping, Two Weeks Notice, Mary Poppins, Shrek, and especially You've Got Mail.

There is no Why, Onan, things just are!

Sheesh, and I forgot Harry Potter in every incarnation. :(

angels
20th Nov 2004, 13:54
Onan - You are missing Once Upon a Time in America.

Get it. Watch it again, and again, and again.......

Ditto Apocalypse Now!, Dr. Strangelove, ET blah blah.....

Only problem is, is that if you have two youngish kids the only time you get to do this is in the wee hours and you will be knackered at work the next day.:}

Rugz
20th Nov 2004, 13:57
I try and collect only those that I know that I will watch (and can be watched numerous times). For example:

Smokey and the Bandit
Blues Brothers

etc etc

Boss Raptor
20th Nov 2004, 13:59
I would say that I watch about 25% of movies over again, and keep 50% of what I buy, rest go to Russian friends as I think they are naff - but saying that I will not pay full price for any DVD's - I buy ex rental at my local Blockbuster for approx. 7 a time within 2 weeks of general/rental release of that DVD/movie or the 3 for 20 deals etc. on older movies I haven't seen that you get in supermarkets or similar stores

Sometimes the films you havent seen or really know much about turn out to be those special ones you really enjoy and watch time after time

This weekend I have bought 3 for 20;

Pirates of the Caribbean - good
Pearl Harbor - disappointing
Alfie original - good
Day After Tomorrow - ok but wont watch again but will keep
Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels - seen before but a classic
Battle of Britain - well definately a classic

They wanted 18 for a new Troy, I'll wait a couple of weeks as I am not paying that for a film I might not rate

As above Once Upon A Time In America, K19, Gladiator, Schindlers List, The Jackal (a surprising recent find) watch over and over again

I have 170 DVD's collected over about 3 years - 3 DVD's and a couple of bottles of wine is still cheaper than a night out on the town or in the pub - that is my economics

redsnail
20th Nov 2004, 14:06
We buy the DVDs not just for the movie but for all the extras you get with it. The commentary from the director and the actors I find quite interesting and insightful. There's other extras as well. On "The Dish" (Australian movie about a radio telescope in Parkes that was (sort of) involved with the first Moon landing) there's a heap of NASA archival footage that is fascinating. Also it has the full Kennedy speech about going to the Moon.
Well worth the price of the DVD.

Loki
20th Nov 2004, 14:12
Anyone seen "Troy" my son has just bought it and I plan to watch it this pm....or could I use my time better?

I love World Cinema, so a lot of my DVDs are not ones that one would normally see as films at the local multiscreen "Goodbye Lenin" being my most recent acquisition.

20th Nov 2004, 14:19
rest go to Russian friends as I think they are naff
Boss, I wonder what your friends say about you?:E

A couple of films I could watch time and time again

Lock Stock, and two smoking barrels
The Shawshank redemption

One good reason for collecting DVD's

Blockbuster DVD rental 2.50-3.75.
Wait until the film is a couple of weeks old, then buy an ex-rental copy for 8.99

Jerricho
20th Nov 2004, 15:12
Or, you could just kind of accidently download them off the internet...............:ooh:

BALIX
20th Nov 2004, 15:47
I'm with Onan on this one - just what is one supposed to do with a couple of hundred movie DVDs? Watch them once, if you are lucky? True, there is the odd exception but there aren't that many good movies out there.

It seems to be the big thing with my colleagues at the moment, collecting film DVDs. They know all the scams - which site to get them off, which format, when they are going to be released and everything. Then, when they pop through the letter box, they sit in the cellophane for ever.

When the Star Wars boxed set was released, several colleagues creamed their underpants...

I bet that last bit gets moderatored...

SyllogismCheck
20th Nov 2004, 15:50
Totally in agreement Onan.
I don't think your missing anything, unless you like boring yourself silly that is.
Number of DVDs I posess = 0.
Hmmm, which makes me wonder why on earth I've got a full on AV setup in this very room. :confused:
It thumps out CDs superbly though which I suppose is reason enough.

I also got dragged, under protest, to the cinema this week.
What's fun about the cinema. Can't have a proper drink, can't smoke, can't pause it if you fancy a break and end up with a numb backside before the film even starts.
It's punishment, not pleasure, I shan't be persuaded again.
Actually I probably won't be asked again as I showed my displeasure by being a right stroppy so and so. :E
I'll take going for a drink or dinner instead everytime, thats what I call a night out.

Maybe we're just not geeky enough to understand. :ok:

Erwin Schroedinger
20th Nov 2004, 15:53
You surprise me, Mr Clumsy. You of all people should know that certain films on DVD are very much watcheable over and over again.

Box of Kleenex essential (or is that where the Clumsy bit "comes" in?).

:rolleyes:

Jerricho
20th Nov 2004, 15:56
The Good The Bad and The Ugly and Snatch

Don't think I know that one there Onan. Is that of of them Mr Schroedinger is talkin about? :E

1DC
20th Nov 2004, 18:21
Seeing as we have so much trouble making the VHS video player work we haven't had the courage to buy a DVD player yet. Suspect it won't be long though cos when the grandkids come to stay and want one, Mrs. 1CD will be straight out to the shops.

Onan the Clumsy
20th Nov 2004, 18:51
Consider then getting one that will play DVDs from a multitude of regions. If for no other reason, then to beat the system :ok:

incrediable -mirage
20th Nov 2004, 19:10
Boss Raptor

Troy was brillant on the big screen see it there if you can not so good unless you have a massive tv screen to watch it on (unless of course you are a girlie like me and watched it for Orland Bloom/Brad Pitt)

Dvd take up less space and not as bulky and can watch them on the movie with portable sets if nec good if you have kids big or small

But they do come with all those extras

:ok:

maxman
20th Nov 2004, 19:31
Have to agree Onan, apart from a few classic's, the DVD collection is still in single figures. Still, christmas is coming, and there are a few on the list. The Jean Reno film, Leon, Fargo, and The Rock. Unable to explain the last choice, I just find it watchable.
Don't mind if they come from the ex rental bin in Blockbuster either:ok:

ChrisVJ
20th Nov 2004, 20:07
Can't stop Mrs VJ buying them when they are bargains as stocking fillers (She starts in about Feb.)

Actually found a new use. Sit up late watching them (Last was a season of MASH) with kids back from UNI for reading week (just another skiving off week, I say.) Surprisingly good bonding time!

Big Tudor
20th Nov 2004, 20:53
Not got a massive DVD colection, but I do find myself sticking an old favourite on from time to time, especially over the festive period when it is generally pants on telly. Was home alone the other night and grabbed Trainspotting from the rack. Still think it's a great film and I must have watched it over 20 times. Sometimes my mood suits a particular film (especially when accompanied by a nice cold Stella or a drop of Jack Daniels).

Metro man
21st Nov 2004, 06:25
Pirate DVDs available in certain Asian cities for under a pound ,including films currently in the cinema at home ,eg "Shall We Dance" ,"Taxi" ,"Manchurian Candidate" etc . At that price why not ?

Currently deciding whether to buy all 20 James Bond films ,box set for GPB 16. ;)

Lon More
21st Nov 2004, 08:19
Ther4e bwas a sort of follow up to "Lock, Stock etc " on ITV as a series a couple of years ago.

Can anyone help with the name?

AerBabe
21st Nov 2004, 08:23
I buy very few - and those I do are classics or films I've seen before and know I'll want to see again. And I never pay full price for them. In fact I feel hard done by if I pay more than a tenner.

Buster Hyman
21st Nov 2004, 09:10
I think you chaps over in Blighty are getting rogered with the price you pay for DVD's. Brand new DVD's in Oz generally AUD36.00, overnight rental at Blockbuster AUD4.95, normal price after a few months is around AUD20-29.00! No wonder you have a small...collection!

There are two reasons I get DVD's. Firstly is the ability for cinema quality & sound with the appropriate gear & secondly, with care there is no deterioration in comparison with VHS. Bearing that in mind, I only purchase kids flicks to entertain the littlies & blockbusters that I will watch again & again. In the latter category, I have The Lord of the Rings, Dances with Wolves, Indiana Jones collection & Futurama...nothing but quality!:E ;)

Loki
21st Nov 2004, 10:48
I traditionally buy a DVD or two just before Christmas for family viewing because of the unremitting sh*te which is usually on TV then.

Last year I bought "Amelie".....guess what was being shown on TV?

Mind you, I`ve watched it 3 or 4 times since (marvellous film)

mattd2k
21st Nov 2004, 13:29
Lon More,

The Lock Stock TV series had a different name for each episode:

lock, stock ...& four stolen hooves
lock, stock ...& 200 smoking kalashnikovs
lock, stock ...& a fistfull of jack & jills:
lock, stock ...& spaghetti sauce
lock, stock ...& two sips
lock, stock ...& one big bullock
lock, stock ...& a good slopping out

They weren't a patch on the original film though, a regularly watched DVD in my collection.