PDA

View Full Version : Air Scandic fleet and routes

goldeneye
20th Nov 2004, 11:15
This information is now on the Air Scandic website.

During the winter season 2004/5, Air Scandic will be operating a 165 seat MD-83 aircraft based at Manchester Airport which will be operating to & from the following destinations:

Tenerife (up to 3 weekly return services)
Fuerteventura
Arrecife
Malaga (up to 3 weekly return services)
Alicante (up to 3 weekly return services)
Faro
Paphos

Air Scandic will also be operating between London Gatwick Airport & Las Palmas.

For the summer of 2005, Air Scandic will be operating two 165 seat MD-83 aircraft, one based at London Stansted Airport and operating to & from the following destinations:

Corfu
Heraklion (up to 2 weekly return services)
Kos
Rhodes
Zante
Larnaca
Paphos
Tenerife
Arrecife
Palma (up to 2 weekly return services.)
Dalaman
The other MD-83 aircraft will be based at East Midlands Airport & will be operating to & from the following destinations:

Corfu (up to 2 weekly return services)
Heraklion
Rhodes (up to 2 weekly return services.)
Kos
Zante
Kefalonia
Santorini
Chania
Skiathos
Volos
Kalamata
Tenerife
Arrecife
Palma (up to 2 weekly return services)
Alicante
Paphos
Dalaman (up to 2 weekly return services)

(Addtionally, Air Scandic will operate flights between Birmingham & Kalamata & Rhodes utilising this aircraft type or a 227 seat Boeing 757.)
Once again Air Scandic will be operating flights from Manchester, Glasgow International, Belfast International & Newcastle to Orlando Sanford for the summer of 2005, utilising a 227 seat Boeing 757 aircraft.
Another 227 seat Boeing 757 aircraft will be based at Manchester Airport and will be operating between that airport & the following destinations:

Tenerife (up to 2 weekly return services)
Arrecife
Alicante
Malaga (up to 3 weekly return services)
Ibiza
Faro (up to 2 weekly return services)
Dalaman (up to 2 weekly return services)
Antalya
Helsinki
Heraklion (up to 2 weekly return services)
Skiathos
Mitilini
Rhodes
Kos
Kalamata
Paphos

So no DC10 then, all the aircraft are coming from Finnair.

thegoaf
20th Nov 2004, 17:51
How anyone can possibly believe that it is in any way economic to operate the MD83 or any other version of that aircraft in the intensely competitive European IT market beats me. It all sounds like a seriously loss making venture. Still they will probably lose less than if they had operated a DC10.

speedbird_heavy
20th Nov 2004, 19:21
How anyone can possibly believe that it is in any way economic to operate the MD83

Ask Spanair or Freebird

thegoaf
20th Nov 2004, 19:35
Spanair are getting rid of their MD80'a and replacing them with A320's. Good move.

GW76
20th Nov 2004, 20:06
Cheap lease rents , plenty about, plenty spares, as reliable as most current short haul aircraft-
I cant see any reason why an airline such as this, obviously on a budget, wouldnt do well with these.
Expense also spared if there is the usual collateral agreement and the aircraft come from Finnair.
Spanair have held on to these for many years for this very reason, you will note they have been far from quick with regards to replacing them with Airbus models.
Mmmmm I wonder why AA etc still have huge fleets of these aircraft used on high frequency flights ?????
But, as seems to be a current theme with Air Scandic......in the eyes of some, they can never do anything right.

Harrier46
20th Nov 2004, 20:55
Bearing in mind their "virtual airline" status and relationship with Finnair the MD83 makes a lot more sense than the A320. As said previously, a cheaper option and there are still quite a few around so somebody must be making money out of them.

Thunderball 2
21st Nov 2004, 00:42
How anyone can possibly believe that it is in any way economic to operate the MD83 or any other version of that aircraft in the intensely competitive European IT market beats me. thegoaf

It's been as good as said already, but it's possible in the current market to generate lower ASKs on an MD83 than any other short haul aircraft at anything less than about 4,200 hours per year.

What experience were you basing your comments on, goaf?:confused:

aeulad
21st Nov 2004, 00:50
I don't see how MAN and EMA will get only one based a/c. With the full programme of 22 and 21 weekly flights respectively, does'nt leave much room for error. Surely they will have a standby a/c somewhere?

Regards

Mike

JB007
21st Nov 2004, 15:40
Can't see SCY paying for a SB aircraft somehow!!!!!

I don't think the aircraft type is of any importance to SCY in their "Virtual Airline" status - good seat prices based on a competitive hourly rate from AY, and the contracts with Libre Holidays/Excel isn't it??? have been the same now for approx 4 years.

JW and CC do know how to make money....

All this makes complete commercial sense to me. No Flight Deck/Aircraft expense, just Cabin Crew training, all on Finnair's AOC.

But where does this leave all the A300 pilots and Air Cordial as the AOC holder??? With no UK registered aircraft on the AOC surely it will be revoked????