PDA

View Full Version : Exciting flying jobs.....

rich0684
20th Nov 2004, 10:10
Hi,
I am currently studying at university and hold a JAA PPL. Next year i plan on moving to Florida to do hour building, ATPL and CPL with Naples Air Center. After this i would love to do something a little more exiting than return to the UK and become a flying instructor. I have looked at jobs in Alaska and Caribbean but it seems you need quite a lot of experience to apply. Does anyone know if there are possibilities to do such work with low hours and experience?

cheers,

Rich.

spaceman1000
20th Nov 2004, 21:25
alaska=green card,

in the 50 US states you need a green card!!!

Jelly Doughnut
20th Nov 2004, 23:56
rich

Go to Africa ... the Wild West of flying.

Bush tourism, oil/diamond contracts, or relief flying... Many a flying career started there. Do a search on the African forum for info.

Not for the fainthearted but with your enthusiasm you will succeed :ok:

rich0684
21st Nov 2004, 00:19
hi,

Thanks for that. I had thought about africa but heard that there are colonies of wannabe pilots working in bars and other small jobs waiting for the companies to recruit them. Obviously this is not the case. I knew about the green card in the US but i thought they were reasonably easy to come by as a friend of mine worked over there for a short while in a school. Again i havent done much research into that.

Anyway cheers for the replies and keep the ideas coming....

thanks again!

Rich.

Jelly Doughnut
21st Nov 2004, 10:01
rich
that is right, like in other places, you will find lots of pilots competing for the same jobs in Africa.
To be successful you will need to show determination... this might mean camping around a place like Maun for a few months and visiting the operators every day. That way you get your face known and, if it fits, somebody might give you a chance.
Remember that nobody owes you a job. In this industry it matters who you know, not what you know, so you need to start networking and make friends who will help you along.
Don't brush off instruction as 'boring' either... if it helps you get 500 hours, and that in turn helps you get a bushflying job in Africa, then surely it was worth it?!!
Good luck:ok: